PDA

View Full Version : Trying To Get better FPS

Geist Reiter
05-26-04, 04:50 PM
Yes Hello I am A heavy Gamer And i recently got a Geforce4 Ti 4200 128MB and it out performs My FX5200 128 Mb. Ive Been Trying to tweak my card but its not really doin much at all. and i ran out of options to try to get my Frames Up.
If Any1 Has Any Suggestion Please Post. All My Drivers are Updated like my audio Video Bios Etc.

I Play Games Such As Medal Of Honor Allied Assault And Call Of Duty.

Thanks

My Compter Hardware Is This.
Processor: AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.4Ghz 1400Mhz
MBRam: 544
Onboard Sound: Via Audio
Video Card: Geforce 4 TI 4200 128 Mb
Motherboard: SY-K7vta Pro

If You Need anyMore Info About My Computer Feel Free To Ask.
Because I Need As Much Help As Possible.

saturnotaku
05-26-04, 05:14 PM
Best way to up your frame rate is to upgrade your CPU. CoD is a demanding game, but it's also one that scales well with a faster processor. You also might want to consider purchasing a PCI sound card like the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 - I saw up to a 15% framerate increase over my onboard audio.

jimmor
05-27-04, 04:35 PM
A ti4200 is best suited to 4xxx series drivers, so using 5xxx or higher will lose you performance !

Also,

keep things like AA & AF to a minimum.

keep resolutions to no more than 800x600 if your games allow.

keep refresh rates to a max of 75Hz (Vsync set to on) or limit game FPS to 75.

if Vsync off, then set frame prerender to between 5-10.

In other words, tweak a few driver and setup things ?? The ti4200 is a fine card, I have one myself, but against todays games it is limited ?

Kamel
05-27-04, 04:45 PM
agreed with saturnotaku on this one. with that machine, the biggest problem is your CPU. you can do what i did and get an xp2500 and overclock it to an xp3200 pretty easily.

an upgrade on your ram is useful as well, in both size and speed. faster ram will get you more FPS generally, you will just notice a faster loading time with more ram.

if you are really wanting to get down and dirty, my best suggestion to you is to get an nforce2 motherboard with dual channel ram, either 512 (2x256), or 1gb (2x512). of course, either way, make sure you've got good timings. any ram with a timing CAS of 3 or 2 will do great. then get the xp2500 coupled with a silent boost by thermaltake -- that way you can easily and safely overclock to a 3200.

of course, you may not want to get that extravigant. a lot of people think the processor technology is ahead of its time; i disagree. a processor upgrade of any sort will always yeild some of the best overall system speeds IMO (even in video games; that depend on the graphics card).