PDA

View Full Version : nvidia goin to announce 6900 ultra at computex ?

Pages : [1] 2

trolane
05-27-04, 10:44 AM
what you all think this announcement will be ? something doesn't feel right about the 6800.. like it's a product becoming obsolete in 1 month or something. Took em 2 months to ship it even if it does come out on the 7th, but they could announce a newer one at computex and that could be shipping 2 months from now.

FastM
05-27-04, 11:03 AM
I see nVidia releasing a new driver that closes the performance gap between the 6800U vs X800XT before they release a new model. Im sure the 6800 series has cost them mega money to develope and the last thing they need is people not buying the 6800 because their is something newer/better around the corner.

RobHague
05-27-04, 12:00 PM
NVIDIA PRESS RELEASE, 06/27/04:

We are pleased to announce the paper launch of the Geforce 6900 Ultra Extreme, supporting 'SM 3.0++' a feature that puts us even more leaps and bounds above ATI's 3 year old technology...:naughty:

I think it will be something lame/pr'ish like "We have XX titles and XX developer onboard to make games using our hardware and with the 'TWIMTBP' logo".

Maverick123w
05-27-04, 12:35 PM
I see nVidia releasing a new driver that closes the performance gap between the 6800U vs X800XT before they release a new model. Im sure the 6800 series has cost them mega money to develope and the last thing they need is people not buying the 6800 because their is something newer/better around the corner.

Closing the Gap between them? There isnt really one to close :rolleyes:

RobHague
05-27-04, 12:52 PM
How about a Geforce 6850 ? Wouldn't put it past them to try and snag the preformance lead by a small margin just to say "we are teh fastest" but i would have thought they would be waiting for the X800 XT to ship with final clocks before they try and retaliate.

Im willing to bet any announcement will be something to do with their SM 3.0 support and getting delevopers onboard.

MUYA
05-27-04, 12:54 PM
I dun think so....maybe a PCI Express card

RobHague
05-27-04, 12:58 PM
I dun think so....maybe a PCI Express card

For the PCI Express motherboards that still arent out? :lol: They have already paper launched their PCI Express cards, they have them listed on the website too, so i dont see what else they could say on the matter other than "Here s a working sample" or "Here are some fixed benchmarks showing the advantage's" ;)....

MUYA
05-27-04, 01:02 PM
there are a few PCI express chipsets from intelw hich are ready to be launched....i dunno ab out computex but maybe some Intel Dev Forum meet. I know that some ppl have received PCI Express motherboards for testing/reviewing.

As for PCI Express cards..it's called marketing..showing your product is ready for the new platform etc...

smeagol
05-27-04, 01:06 PM
I think it will be something lame/pr'ish like "We have XX titles and XX developer onboard to make games using our hardware and with the 'TWIMTBP' logo".
LOL

Jarred
05-27-04, 01:08 PM

so what exactly is Ati going to show?

RobHague
05-27-04, 01:15 PM
More HL2 demo's? ;)

"It's coming....soon.....really....honest!"

:D

OWA
05-27-04, 02:06 PM
Maybe it's the forceware suite release. Wasn't there supposed to be a release that included a MM player and other items. I've downloaded pieces of it already but I thought at some point there was supposed to be an official release of the suite.

RobHague
05-27-04, 05:52 PM
Maybe it's the forceware suite release. Wasn't there supposed to be a release that included a MM player and other items. I've downloaded pieces of it already but I thought at some point there was supposed to be an official release of the suite.

You're joking me? (spit)

Does anyone else think NVIDIA are taking 'features' a little too far? I mean, a pop-up blocker... ok sure.... but now a media player??? What next i ask??

NVIDIA ForceWare including a pop-up blocker, nv media player, nview, a set of nice looking wallpapers, a DivX player, an mp3 encoder, and oh yeah.. the display drivers... :lol:

I am assuming though (out of nvidia's common sense) that these 'extra bits' are NOT all chucked in with it and that there is a 'lite' version for people that just want the drivers? :)

ChrisRay
05-27-04, 05:53 PM
I suspect the possibilities of the PCI express chip. I mean considering Intel is about to release its PCI express boards, That should definately be taken into account.

Chris

DJB
05-27-04, 09:15 PM
Nvidia has had a mediaplayer for quite some time.
Ever heard of NVDVD?

DJB

Draconis
05-27-04, 09:24 PM
Ever heard of NVDVD?

DJB
Yep i got that with my 5700 ultra on a separate cd and it wasn't part of the drivers.

OWA
05-27-04, 09:28 PM
Yeah, that was part of the early leak I downloaded a while back. It was mainly a change to the NVDVD player.

Does anyone else think NVIDIA are taking 'features' a little too far? I mean, a pop-up blocker... ok sure.... but now a media player??? What next i ask??
No, not all at b/c they do more than just video cards. The DVD player is sometimes included with the graphics cards but they also do more than just graphics cards. The suite is supposed to include the MM app, drivers (chipset, graphics, audio -- including the new audio CP that was released not too long ago and whatever), and tweaking tools for the system etc. Most of it has been released in pieces but I thought at some point it was supposed to be released as a complete suite (package). I could be wrong about that though and some parts of it may only be applicable to media edition type computers.

I am assuming though (out of nvidia's common sense) that these 'extra bits' are NOT all chucked in with it and that there is a 'lite' version for people that just want the drivers?
Yeah, it would be nice it both companies would offer stripped down drivers. My last ATI download was 29.7Meg and my last nvidia driver download was almost 20 Meg. I feel sorry for dial-up users. I am curious why ATI's download is so large though since they don't really offer many features or extras in their drivers. Maybe it's the WDM driver or something that bloats the size?

RobHague
05-28-04, 08:24 AM
Ever heard of NVDVD?

DJB

Yes, but you didnt get it free with the drivers. :lol:

saturnotaku
05-28-04, 08:27 AM
Yes, but you didnt get it free with the drivers. :lol:

ATI's MMC ain't free either. If you download it, you have to provide the original driver CD and the key contained thereon.

Lezmaka
05-28-04, 08:38 AM
Anyone thought this might be NV41?

WarheadMM
05-28-04, 08:44 AM
this sound stupid. They made the FX 5900 to fix the 5800 mistakes *kinda*. Now if they release a 6900 they will be releaseing a card to fix all the 6800 mistakes. :lame:

RobHague
05-28-04, 08:49 AM
That's good then - i took it from what was said it was going to be 'in' the driver package like the pop-up blocker. NVIDIA's drivers are great! i wouldnt like to see them spoiling them by trying to put themselves out in front of ATI as much as possible. :(

Anyone thought this might be NV41?

No there is a sensible idea! It could well be the 'mainstream' parts they will show case. The Geforce 6200? 6600?...

Yeah, it would be nice it both companies would offer stripped down drivers. My last ATI download was 29.7Meg and my last nvidia driver download was almost 20 Meg. I feel sorry for dial-up users. I am curious why ATI's download is so large though since they don't really offer many features or extras in their drivers. Maybe it's the WDM driver or something that bloats the size?

I think the reason the ATI driver package is so big is because they include all languages for some reason. They do offer them in little chunks, driver, control panel, etc but you still end up downloading the same size package in the end soo.... thankfully im getting off 56k this month :thumbsup:

D.K.Tronics
05-28-04, 09:02 AM
Now if they release a 6900 they will be releaseing a card to fix all the 6800 mistakes

And what 6800 mistakes are there, hmm ?

And whats "Lame" here, is your post.

WarheadMM
05-28-04, 09:12 AM
Well its apparent that nvidia screwed up with the 6800 by not making it fast enough. Also its lame cause you should fix the problems with the first card before releasing another card....you never know.....with some driver tweaks they could make the 6800 a faster card

saturnotaku
05-28-04, 09:16 AM
Well its apparent that nvidia screwed up with the 6800 by not making it fast enough.

A card with a comparatively newer architecture, with drivers that have yet to mature, plus unexposed features that will be coming and performs within 5% of the X800 (in most cases) despite a core clock speed disadvantage isn't fast enough?

:udawg: