PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help Plz.....

Jas28
05-27-04, 12:51 PM
I just got a 5950 Ultra and have a really strange issue with it. The card runs great, but when I enable Cookbits, and do the Auto Detect clock speeds it comes back with 465/931. The Defaults on the card are 475/950. At 475/950 the Control Panel will detect that the Test Fails when testing at that speed. It does this all the way down to like 460/925 or so. Not sure what is going on, and if I should even be worried about it. The card runs fine at the default speeds, the temps are fine. Tried different drivers, nothing changes. Even went as far as to reformat to see if that changed anything. Doesnt matter. Any ideas?

Thanks! :)

jimmor
05-27-04, 03:08 PM
I just got a 5950 Ultra and have a really strange issue with it. The card runs great, but when I enable Cookbits, and do the Auto Detect clock speeds it comes back with 465/931. The Defaults on the card are 475/950. At 475/950 the Control Panel will detect that the Test Fails when testing at that speed. It does this all the way down to like 460/925 or so. Not sure what is going on, and if I should even be worried about it. The card runs fine at the default speeds, the temps are fine. Tried different drivers, nothing changes. Even went as far as to reformat to see if that changed anything. Doesnt matter. Any ideas?

Thanks! :)

Don't worry, it is a driver problem ! Or to be more accurate it is a "Auto-detect" problem -----> totally unreliable, don't use it !!!!

if you really want to overclock your card, do it manually by increasing the core and memory in 5 or 10MHz steps, and running performance tests until artifacts/glitches/lockups show and then backoff 10-15MHz and you are there ??

Or since you have a 5950u (an excellent card), you can just set it to the same 300/500/1000 levels I have my 5900nu flashed to a 5950u set at. And leave it there until you are happy that testing has shown it to be stable for all games/resolutions/ AA&AF levels you are likely to use ?? Any problems/artifacts, then just step speeds down by 10MHz and repeat tests ?? But as I said, you have an excellent card !!!

Jas28
05-27-04, 06:54 PM
I did the Auto Detect just because I was curious. I have heard that the Auto Detect can not really show what the card can do. But, the biggest concern I have is if I want to overclock the card I cant. Not with Coolbits at least. If I try to go as much as 1 Mhz over it wont work. I click ' Test Settings' and it fails. Like I said, it fails all the way down to 460/925 or so. I am more worried that something is wrong with the card becuase of this, more than the Auto Detect problem. Maybe its nothing....not sure.

zer0xp
05-27-04, 07:00 PM
sorry if this seems insulting, but i dont mean it like that... What are the specs of your PSU?

Cota
05-27-04, 07:07 PM
Many people have issues with the autodetect feature with the 5950u, either insanely high speeds or below stock. It varies depending with what driver you are using.

Jas28
05-27-04, 08:06 PM
I have a Antec 350 Watt 'Smart Blue' Power Supply. I know the 350 Watt is kinda low, but its a higher quality power supply.

Also, Cota, thats also another things that makes me kinda nervous...it DOESNT change with a driver change. Have tried 4 different drivers.

zer0xp
05-27-04, 08:10 PM
What other stuff you got running in your case? amnt of hard drives, optical drives, fans, etc etc... i think it might be related to power, just in case you havent figured this out yet lol :P

Rytr
05-27-04, 08:28 PM
Could be the psu but I would doubt it.
Check the output voltage on the rails in the bios. Then power down and unhook extra optical and hdd's, and any other non-necessary components. Disconnect components except for basic hdd, fdd, cpu, ram, and video card setup. Bootup and check the rails again and see if the increase in voltage is significant. If it is (>+0.10V on the +12V rail) try to oc the video card with this basic setup. Of course, if you are successful you know you psu is not adequate for your system while oc'ing the card.

Might try the 53.03 drivers if you have not already.

Jas28
05-27-04, 08:34 PM
Thx for the advice. I will give it a try. I have tried the 56.72, 60.85, 61.11 and the 60.12. Havent tried the 53.03.

Rytr
05-27-04, 08:44 PM
Can't explain why but I had a significant increase in oc using the 53.03's. I think the 56.72 and 56.12's are better overall but for some reason the 53.03's gave me a better/higher stable oc with the FX5950U and FX5900U.

Jas28
05-27-04, 08:49 PM
Hmm...well, disconnected second HD, and Slot Fan, and my +12V is at 11.73V. It didnt change at all disconnecting the stuff?? Maybe its just a driver bug. I mean, the card doesnt lock up at all..and the temps are fine. Maybe I am worried about nothing. :)

Rytr
05-27-04, 10:22 PM
Well, I am like you and I try to get everything I can out of my system. One thing is very important above all else, stability. Without it you are up a creek without a paddle. Be happy with what you have and save up for the next upgrade! ;)

BTW, you are fine with the psu you have if it reads 11.73V with minimum fluctuations. Do remember, however, if you add much more +12V voltage requirements that number will decrease and will cause instablilty at some point. At that time you will need to upgrade your psu.

Jas28
05-27-04, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I am VERY happy with what I have. I was just wanting to make sure the problem with the Test failing even at default speeds didnt mean that my card was bad. I really dont see a need to overclock this card. Just wanting to make sure its not bad. Thx for all the input!! :)