PDA

View Full Version : Computer gamer arrested after Grand Theft Auto SNAFU

RobHague
05-27-04, 03:08 PM
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16194

A COMPUTER GAMER has been banged up after he caused a security crisis for police at a local restaurant in North Jacksonville.

Anthony Jones was playing Grand Theft Auto with a child and decided to call a mate in a local restaurant.

After the friend answered Jones got to a crucial bit in the game, got a bit excited and uttered the words "There's a bomb in the building. There's a bomb in the building. Everyone needs to get out!" and hung up to continue the game.

A worker heard the warning, considered it a serious threat and became scared and called the police. The restaurant was evacuated and searched for explosives.

Police were able to use a call-return feature to determine where the call had been placed. The house belonged to a friend of Jones, who said Jones had been playing the video game and had used his phone.

However, the cops were not amused at the story. Jones was immediately arrested and could face up to 15 years for faking a false bomb report.

:rofl Oh dear.

Viral
05-27-04, 11:14 PM
What is with GTA and making people do stupid things? Maybe they are just stupid people? Yes, i think so.

Kamel
05-27-04, 11:36 PM
i can see straight through this lie... it makes me sick that people use video games as their scape goat for stuff.

the kid did this entirely on purpose, because i've played all of the GTA series, and beat all of them at that. not once was there a time when i would even conceive of saying "there's a bomb in the building, there's a bomb in the building, everyone get out!"... i don't care how involved you are in GTA3, you do not give a rats ass about the people in it, and seeing them explode due to a bomb is half of the fun. the only time you would be chanting for someone to leave is if a specific character were there, and you would fail the mission had the character gotten hurt. this would make me say "common slow ass dude, get out" then i would most likely go on about the horrible AI; even in vice city. if a game has characters ever running into walls (vice city is seemingly plagued with it), the developers did not work very hard on the AI, as anti-stuck protection is very easy to make (maybe the character will get lost, but atleast he wont run straight at a wall).

ok, so basically i'm saying... the guy is full of ****. he wants to do something really stupid and see if he can get away with it by blaming a video game. why wont you just go ahead and blame a 2yo kid for you saying that while your at it; it would be just about as believable to me.

MadPt
06-02-04, 10:54 PM
I agree.
I loved cowboys movies when i was young, had some toy pistols, kinda tought myself as a small Bonanza but never bought myself a real gun to go out and make a "loud party", and altough i love guns, i don't have one, and i never even shot a bird...paper perhaps, but i wouldn't even heart a small bird.

I have played all kinds of games since my old faithfull ZX Spectrum48K, violent or not, and never ran anyone, never got to hit people or whatever.
Some people are just born with some tendency to make trouble, hehe, that's all.
Most of us never did anything wrong as that, and we also play the same games. ;)

He just did the wrong thing at the wrong time, in the wrong place, lol. :D

Tuork
06-03-04, 11:27 PM
Real smart guy.

Go somewhere public and yeall (or say) "bomb" in a country full of paranoid people ready to collapse.
:rolleyes:

Clay
06-04-04, 12:26 AM
Yelling "fire" in a theater can get your butt in jail FAST. :)

Tuork
06-04-04, 05:44 PM
Yelling "fire" in a theater can get your butt in jail FAST. :)

Not as fast as screaming BOMB in an airport. :p