PDA

View Full Version : ASRock & NVidia conflicts

u46gb
05-27-04, 03:47 PM
Is there some reason that an NVidia GeForce fx 5600 shouldn't work with an ASRock motherboard? Or do i just have crap RAM? Although it worked in my previous ASUS motherboard. RAM and GeForce that is

fivefeet8
05-27-04, 04:24 PM
Is there some reason that an NVidia GeForce fx 5600 shouldn't work with an ASRock motherboard? Or do i just have crap RAM? Although it worked in my previous ASUS motherboard. RAM and GeForce that is

I've got an Asrock P4 motherboard working fine with a GeforceFx 5600. Asrock isn't the same company as ASUS btw.

zer0xp
05-27-04, 07:52 PM
fivefeet8, i do not think that you are correct, i think thatthe 2 companies do have some kind of relationship.
u46gb - what do you mean that the car is not working? I need more info... detial your problem, tell me the specs of your pc and we'll go from there.

fivefeet8
05-28-04, 01:35 AM
fivefeet8, i do not think that you are correct, i think thatthe 2 companies do have some kind of relationship.
u46gb - what do you mean that the car is not working? I need more info... detial your problem, tell me the specs of your pc and we'll go from there.

AsRock is more of a budget mobo company. ASUS and Asrock have no relationship other than they both make motherboards. Check out ASrocks's website.

zer0xp
05-28-04, 03:56 AM
The fact that they both make mainboards would be more of a similarity than a relationship.. :P
Anyway, take a look at this if you dont believe me...
http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2002/11/04&pages=15&seq=106

u46gb
05-28-04, 06:57 AM
its a k7s8x ASRock board. My system is a Athlon XP 2500+ barton core, 1*512 DDR pc2700 stick, but other ram i have doesn't work any better either. the card is a GEforce fx 5600 at the usual specs (not overclocked). Whenever i run games that need 3d graphics (eg UT2004) it crashes (in the sense that it locks up either to a black screen or the graphics just freeze, no windows pointer visible) at a random point (ranging from startup screen to halfway through picking teams). Any 3D screensavers (like the ones provided with the card on the detonator driver CD) restart my computer after several seconds of functioning. I have tried using the newest detonator drivers and at the moment the latest omega drivers. Same problems with both though. My mentioning the ASUS board was to highlight the fact that both the RAM and the Geforce card actually work but i am aware compatibility issues may possibly exist with my ASRock board and was wondering if anyone knew of them. Just to save me the grief of putting in the old board, putting in the new one took the whole bloody day before.

zer0xp
05-28-04, 07:10 AM
I dont think you're gonna have to do that again. :P
What version of DX are you running? Did u swap mobos, and then u couldnt play games? if not try installing (newer) chipset drivers.

u46gb
05-28-04, 07:11 AM
9.0b. Running the D3D test on directxdiagnostics also locks up the screen pretty sharpish. What are chipset drivers?

saturnotaku
05-28-04, 08:22 AM
What are chipset drivers?

Well, that could be a big part of your problem. You can not and should not do a motherboard swap without doing a clean install of Windows.

Before reinstalling, you'll need to grab a few files. Get the latest service pack for Windows 2000 or XP (4 and 1a respectively) if you're running one of those operating systems. Download DirectX 9b from Microsoft or install it from a recent game you have - Far Cry, UT2004 and others should have it on one of their install discs. Then download your motherboard chipset drivers from http://download.sis.com/ You'll want to make sure you have the AGP GART and IDE drivers, which are two separate downloads. Then obviously you'll want to have the drivers for your remaining hardware - video, sound, network, etc.

Riptide
05-28-04, 10:29 AM
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34558

An excellent guide on reinstalling XP step by step from the beginning.

simonuk
05-29-04, 04:30 AM
AsRock is more of a budget mobo company. ASUS and Asrock have no relationship other than they both make motherboards. Check out ASrocks's website.

You should contact Asrock PR department because they think Asrock are the Asus budget label. BTW I have so far owned a asrock k7s8x (sis746fx) and two asrock k7s8xe+ (sis748) motherboards. These days however I am firmly in the MSI camp because Asrock really cripple (very safe memory settings ie low memory performance) their motherboards so they don't outperform Asus motherboards! :(

simonuk
05-29-04, 04:50 AM

The only time I have had problems with any of my asrock motherboards was when I installed the C-media v25 sound driver from the driver cd. That version of the driver causes very bad stability problems and system hangs.

harteman
05-31-04, 11:03 PM
Hey I have a similar problem. I have a PNY Geforce 5200ultra on an ASRock k7s8xe+ mobo and the card will not work. The card works fine in other boards though. My problem is that with the PNY card in the furthest my computer will get is the windows xp loading screen, the shortest is nowhere. Sometimes it won't boot at all. Sometimes it will. Sometimes it causes the characters in my post to be corrupted. When I put a different card in it works fine. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!! I have looked far and wide in my search for help.

2500xp
512 pc 2700
ASRock k7s8xe+ mobo
Geforce fx 5200ultra

simonuk
06-01-04, 03:52 AM
Hey I have a similar problem. I have a PNY Geforce 5200ultra on an ASRock k7s8xe+ mobo and the card will not work. The card works fine in other boards though. My problem is that with the PNY card in the furthest my computer will get is the windows xp loading screen, the shortest is nowhere. Sometimes it won't boot at all. Sometimes it will. Sometimes it causes the characters in my post to be corrupted. When I put a different card in it works fine. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!! I have looked far and wide in my search for help.

2500xp
512 pc 2700
ASRock k7s8xe+ mobo
Geforce fx 5200ultra

I used to have a inno3d fx5200 ultra and it worked perfectly with my sis746fx motherboard.

What psu are you using because I used a 400w psu when I had my 5200 ultra?

harteman
06-01-04, 05:31 PM
I have a 420w supply :retard:

simonuk
06-02-04, 03:39 AM
I have a 420w supply :retard:

Maybe you have a defective motherboard? I've noticed over at the asrock forums that the people reporting problems has increased quite abit recently.

So far I have tesed the k7s8x with:-

msi gf4 ti4200 8x
xfx fx5600
xfx fx5200
xfx mx4000
inno3d fx5200 ultra
inno3d fx5600 ultra
sapphire r9200
sapphire r9600

With the k7s8xe+ I have tested:-

msi fx5900 xt
sapphire r9600 xt

All have worked without any problems!

u46gb
06-02-04, 03:49 PM
mine only cost £33 off ebay. bargain huh? not if it doesn't work i guess...

simonuk
06-02-04, 04:37 PM
mine only cost £33 off ebay. bargain huh? not if it doesn't work i guess...

BTW what bios are you using with your motherboard?

u46gb
06-03-04, 07:56 AM
no idea, the one that came with the board i assume. Tell me where to find the magic number and i'll let ya know

simonuk
06-03-04, 08:57 AM
no idea, the one that came with the board i assume. Tell me where to find the magic number and i'll let ya know

It should display information about your cpu and bios version when your computer first boots.

The latest bios for the k7s8x is v2.3 (please make sure you have the k7s8x and not the k7s8xe or k7s8xe+ before updating), it is unlikely you have this version on your motherboard if you have not updated the bios yet.