PDA

View Full Version : Driving games got too realistic?

demonized
05-27-04, 05:33 PM
I just bought a Logitech MOMO racing wheel today. Playing rallisport challenge is so hard now that I cant stay on track for more than 5 secs, one bump and my car goes flying. I feel like im driving on Ice all the time. I dont drive, is that the problem? Are there tweaks that could help?

Woodelf
05-27-04, 05:51 PM
You should be able to lower the steering sensitivity in the game options/controls menu.

monkeydust
05-27-04, 06:00 PM
I thought Project Gotham 2 was too realistic. I spent all my time spinning out.

MUYA
05-28-04, 12:35 AM
I just bought a Logitech MOMO racing wheel today. Playing rallisport challenge is so hard now that I cant stay on track for more than 5 secs, one bump and my car goes flying. I feel like im driving on Ice all the time. I dont drive, is that the problem? Are there tweaks that could help?
I have the same wheel whereas itw ill take time to get used but as woodelf said, you can adjust the steering sensitivity settings to your liking ;) I immedeatly got 20 secs faster time on CMR4 with a wheel compared to keyboard lol :D I got 3-4 secs faster in f1 challenge 99-02. Depends on how u like you wheel setup and also the in game car setup ;)

sytaylor
05-28-04, 04:37 AM
For you serious driving game nuts, who also drive. How close would you say the two are?

/me looks at sat and interceede

:)

Zeta
05-28-04, 08:44 AM
I thought Project Gotham 2 was too realistic. I spent all my time spinning out.

PGR 2 IMO is one of the best "arcade" racers ever. I call it an arcade racer because its not really a simulator. I love how you have to learn each car. The thing about spinning out that you have to learn to control is you cant have the gas trigger maxed all the time. Its analog and you have to use the analog feature to your advantage. You cant come out of a turn and just pull the trigger in all the way. If you do you will spin out. Also on really sharp turns that you cant powerslide around you need to actually slow down before the turn. Anyway I think PGR 2 is one of the top racing games I have ever played if not the best.

saturnotaku
05-28-04, 08:57 AM
PGR 2 IMO is one of the best "arcade" racers ever. I call it an arcade racer because its not really a simulator. I love how you have to learn each car. The thing about spinning out that you have to learn to control is you cant have the gas trigger maxed all the time. Its analog and you have to use the analog feature to your advantage. You cant come out of a turn and just pull the trigger in all the way. If you do you will spin out. Also on really sharp turns that you cant powerslide around you need to actually slow down before the turn. Anyway I think PGR 2 is one of the top racing games I have ever played if not the best.

I disagree completely. PGR2 was one of the worst arcade racers I've ever played. Not so much for the driving physics, which were pretty easy to master, but for the cheating AI. If they bump you, you go spinning out of control. If you try to play the same trick on them, they just keep going as if nothing was wrong. If the AI can play dirty, why can't I?

Vash
05-28-04, 09:38 AM
Too realistic? IMO, they have, but only a little bit. There are definitely sub-genre markets for realistic racers, and I do enjoy me some GT3 every now and again. But to be honest, the two most enjoyable gaming experiences that I've had with a racer are NFS: Porsche Unleashed and Carmageddon 2. NFS definitely tries to be more realistic than Carmageddon 2, but I don't know if I would classify it as a realistic racer - it's probably more of an arcade racer that's never made it into an arcade cabinet.

Instilling your racing game with a high degree of realism doesn't necessarily make the game a fun one, and vice versa. Driving like a pro is hard.

Kind of an aside: I would love to see a Carmageddon 4 that manages to recapture the fun of the 2nd one. While I'm at it, I'd also like to say that a NFS: Ferrari Unleashed would be awesome. :)

schuey74
05-28-04, 09:47 AM
I disagree completely. PGR2 was one of the worst arcade racers I've ever played. Not so much for the driving physics, which were pretty easy to master, but for the cheating AI. If they bump you, you go spinning out of control. If you try to play the same trick on them, they just keep going as if nothing was wrong. If the AI can play dirty, why can't I?
Yea, the AI sucked big tim in PGR2. I went thru the whole game in one weekend just to do it and get all the cars. I've only played it one more time since.
Anyone playing F-1 Championship 99-02 from EA? With all the driver aids off or on low, it can be pretty demanding......quite tough to pull off that perfect flying lap. I just wish the cars were better setup from the get go so I didn't have to make so many adjustments. I'm a driver! I just want to jump in car and go, not spend 20 minutes tweaking my rear wing! :bash:

demonized
05-28-04, 10:52 AM
I downloaded the CMR4 demo. it's a little easier to drive this one but took me awhile to make the settings stick. To those using wheels, do you guys use 1 foot for both break and gas?

schuey74
05-28-04, 10:59 AM
One foot per pedal for me.

demonized
05-28-04, 11:06 AM
I keep sliding off track. any tips?

Drumphil
06-03-04, 11:36 PM
too realistic?? lol, I think not. You guys should try some actual real life rally racing.. Makes these games look easy.