PDA

View Full Version : dualview issue

p1ranha
05-27-04, 09:09 PM
i have a geforce4 ti 4200 with two monitors connected. the secondary monitor is through a kvm switch. if i reboot my system and the kvm switch is not set to that that computer the card does not find the second monitor and i have to reboot again. is there any known way to lock/disable the monitor search on the card so it always turns on both monitors? does this post make any sense?

any help appreciated

p1ranha
06-08-04, 12:18 AM
guess this is not fixable

Gator
06-08-04, 05:52 AM
...does this post make any sense?

No, I don't understand your post and that may be why nobody else replied.

Why are you using a KVM switch at all? Most GF4TI cards have dual heads so you can use 2 monitors at once. If you donot have dual heads though, then a KVM switch is not gonna provide you with dual monitor capabilities with advantages like Nview and an extended desktop. You should either pick one monitor and stay with it, or sell yoru GF4TI on ebay for a different card that has 2 heads, nearly all cards today have them.

Trust me, I am a dual head user ;)

roninpc
06-08-04, 09:12 AM
which KVM do you have? I have dual-monitors and I also share one of the monitors between 2 computers. my KVM/computer doesn't disable the other monitor if it is rebooted with the other computer enable through the KVM.

stncttr908
06-08-04, 09:30 AM
I understand your question, and no, I don't believe there is any way to do this. You've just got to remember.

Head_slinger
06-08-04, 01:12 PM
As far as i know it relies on the model of KVM. Whether it supplies the gfx card with a signal all the time. Or just the computer that is currently selected.

p1ranha
06-08-04, 07:42 PM
kvm is a serverlink infinity sl-421. i have dual view enabled. the primary display goes to a crt monitor (always on) the secondary display goes through the kvm switch to an lcd monitor (switches between main system, a server & two spare ports for system maintenance purposes) i presume the kvm has no monitor emulation, i can find no mention of it (does say k/b & mouse emulation). When i reboot my main system with the kvm switched to another system, it only finds the one monitor and i have to reboot again (with kvm switched to main system to get second monitor back) so i was just wondering if any way to trick agp card.

Gator
06-08-04, 08:11 PM
kvm is a serverlink infinity sl-421. i have dual view enabled. the primary display goes to a crt monitor (always on) the secondary display goes through the kvm switch to an lcd monitor (switches between main system, a server & two spare ports for system maintenance purposes) i presume the kvm has no monitor emulation, i can find no mention of it (does say k/b & mouse emulation). When i reboot my main system with the kvm switched to another system, it only finds the one monitor and i have to reboot again (with kvm switched to main system to get second monitor back) so i was just wondering if any way to trick agp card.

Ahhhhh! Now I understand!

Maybe if you turn off DCC info? or perhaps set it to a default monitor and not a plug-n-play monitor for the driver?

roninpc
06-08-04, 08:21 PM
have you tried switching your CRT and LCD around? could it be that the KVM doesn't see the LCD correctly?

if that doesn't work, then it's definately the KVM. like I said, my KVM doesn't affect how the computer boots up with the 2nd monitor

p1ranha
06-08-04, 10:44 PM
how do i turn off dcc info? what is dcc info?

Gator
06-09-04, 12:21 PM
how do i turn off dcc info? what is dcc info?

Hmmm... now that I think about it I'm not sure there is a way. Check the monitor's builtin menu and see if it says anything about DCC. I'm nto even certain that would help. Basically DCC is builtin information about the monitor's capabilities that it reports to windows (refresh rates, max resolution, etc). This feature wasn't available in most monitors till a couple years ago. I dunno it's just a shot in the dark.

I would also try swapping the LCD and CRT and see what happens, maybe one of them wont give you a hard time being on the KVM.

If that doesn't work, what you may need is a powered KVM that sends a signal to the video card saying a monitor is indeed connected at all times.

ricercar
06-09-04, 03:14 PM
If you run Windows, you may be able to get the DVI display active without a reboot. Go into the Display control Panel > Advanced > (┬┐nView? the second item from the top in the list on the left) and click Detect Displays. This works inconisistently for me, but it does work sometimes.