PDA

View Full Version : NTFS drive duplication?

AshG
10-16-02, 11:52 PM
Hey guys. I just RMA'd my old Maxtor drive and the replacement is here. I'm wondering if there's a way to just duplicate the old drive onto the new one without having to spend hours reinstalling. WindowsXP, NTFS, IDE1, I think that should cover it...

The Baron
10-16-02, 11:55 PM
Ah, Windows Backup.

Only way to do it, afaik... just back up C and the System State, and as long as it's not completely full, you'll be fine. Then just install XP on the new drive, boot into safe mode, and hit restore...

SHOULD work.

thcdru2k
10-16-02, 11:58 PM
would it be possible to just install both drives and do a copy *.* from dos? with some kind of windows xp dos command boot disk..if there is one.

The Baron
10-17-02, 12:01 AM
No... that's a BAD idea. :p Hasn't worked since Win95.

thcdru2k
10-17-02, 12:03 AM
figures never had to backup since win 3.1 lol

Kruno
10-17-02, 05:00 AM
Ghost the hard drive you want and install the ghost image onto the other :p

Matthyahuw
10-17-02, 10:25 AM
Maxtor has that MaxBlast software that does it...
DL it from their site, and it makes a boot floppy...

EDIT: look ma, my 666th post! :D

volt
10-17-02, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
Maxtor has that MaxBlast software that does it...
DL it from their site, and it makes a boot floppy...

EDIT: look ma, my 666th post! :D

OMG Matty! you beat me to it :(
Yes I've done it with both Maxtor and Western Digital. I belive WD has a simpler cloaner though.

fishlung
10-17-02, 03:34 PM
Matthy's suggestion is probably the best one. If it were me, since I own Powerquest's Drive Image software, I'd end up using that.

LoRD.MuAD'diB
10-18-02, 03:44 PM
If you use Ghost, make sure you read the docs that come with it. Last time I ghosted NTFS (on NT4.0) I had to use a few switches to make it work. If I recall it has to do with the paging file, and some other files that are expected to be at very specific addresses. I forget excactly but I did have to use some switches to get it to all work properly.