PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry Benchmarks on 6800U

Arioch
05-29-04, 09:40 AM
My first attempt at this thread got lost :angry:

Hail!

Well I have lurked around these forums a while and finally decided to register. I recently had a new PC put together and wanted the best video card available to put into it at the time, which means I currently have a X800 Pro in it. While I am extremely pleased with its performance, I was looking for a chance to go back to Nvidia seeing it has support for newer technology and both camps of cards appear pretty equal now in terms of performance and image quality. (I also want to dabble around with 3D glasses and only Nvidia actually supports it)

I have read a lot of reviews for these cards and noticed how many reviewers pointed out that the 6800U was still using the lower grade lighting mode that was implemented in the 1.1 Far Cry patch for Nvidia cards. Does anyone know of any benchmarks that use the ATI method on this card?

I am planning to sell my X800 Pro to a friend that bought my old PC so I am not really losing anything on the upgrade - I was just curious about the Far Cry issue. (I am aware that a patch later on is supposed to add PS3.0 effects to Far Cry)

Thanks!

monly
05-29-04, 09:54 AM
There is no way of testing the 6800's performance on any game atm, drivers are still in beta stages. Once the official ones are released far crys problems should be sorted out in a patch and then we will be able to see the performance. I think the 6800 is going to be fast under far cry, but not as fast as the x800. :)

Arioch
05-29-04, 10:05 AM
Well if it's at least as fast as my X800 Pro and maybe not as fast as the X800XT PE, then I will be happy. I am kinda spoiled at playing this game at 1600x1200 with 4AA/16AF. While the average framerates aren't real high, the minimum barely dips into the high 20s and I find it very playable at that setting.

Ruined
05-29-04, 10:54 AM
You might also want to make sure you don't have "Full Trilinear" mode enabled on the 6800 if you want it's AF quality/performance to match that of the x800.

As for Far Cry, it will get some cool new visual effects with the upcoming 1.2 patch and things should be sorted when the 1.2 patch is comined with dx9.0c and the official nvidia drivers.

trolane
05-29-04, 08:06 PM
kinda sad i'm buyin a $500 card to upgrade my 5950 ultra when only game i have that even pushes the 5950 ultra is farcry. and i already beat the f thing lol. farcry just like a benchmark tool now.

Edge
05-29-04, 09:05 PM
I have read a lot of reviews for these cards and noticed how many reviewers pointed out that the 6800U was still using the lower grade lighting mode that was implemented in the 1.1 Far Cry patch for Nvidia cards. Does anyone know of any benchmarks that use the ATI method on this card?

The lower quality lighting modes (running mostly with PS1.1 effects) seems to have little to no performance differences for any card except the FX series. Even the 6800 doesn't seem to take a performance hit from running in full precision mode (from the few benchmarks I've seen that tried to compare the two modes). So for now you can pretty much just take the 6800's scores as the face value for running in full precision mode. But we really won't be totally sure until the official drivers are released and the game is patched to stop using the FX series optimisations with the game.