PDA

View Full Version : Fx Bios Changed

Martin_t01
05-29-04, 10:39 AM
I have a problem with my pc running the Geforce fx 5200 256mb agp 8x. It is fine with most games but when i play splinter cell: pandora tomorrow I get strange images. Some are shown on the attached picture. One problem is vertical lines appearing and disappearing although on the attached pic it may just look like part of the game this is one of the lines i managed to catch with my cam although when actually moving through the environment it becomes much worse and even unplayable on occasions. Also, although much less frequently I got blocks of colour appearing (also shown on pic at bottom of screen covering all but head of player) Does anyone PLEASE have any suggestions. I have updated my graphics card driver, flashed the bios etc but stil no improvement. I really would like to fix this problem as i wanted it working for when my little brother comes around later as he loved the 1st splinter cell. Thankyou for reading

jimmor
05-29-04, 11:01 AM
first, the most obvious things,

what driver are you using, and have you tried others ?

what refresh rates have you set, and does your monitor work fine with these ?? Remembering that TFT monitors are twitchy with bad refresh rates ??

are you running with Vsync ON or OFF ? If OFF, then maybe FPS just too much for monitor ??

this just gets the viewing affecting checks out of the way !!!!

Martin_t01
05-29-04, 11:01 AM
Also just tried the new toca game and this is nowhere near as bad still has a slight 'flickering'

Martin_t01
05-29-04, 11:07 AM
Thankyou for your reply.

Driver - i am using the newest one from nvidia n have tried others.
Refresh rates? - The monitor i think is set to 85hertz n works fine with most things - max payne 2, gta: vice city etc. My minitor isnt TFT

Vsync - sorry, i dont know...how do i find out?

Martin_t01
05-29-04, 11:23 AM
I have managed to catch a bit of a better picture of the vertical lines i described...... I had to cut down from the full screen pic to limit size

jimmor
05-29-04, 11:38 AM
Thankyou for your reply.

Driver - i am using the newest one from nvidia n have tried others.
Refresh rates? - The monitor i think is set to 85hertz n works fine with most things - max payne 2, gta: vice city etc. My minitor isnt TFT

Vsync - sorry, i dont know...how do i find out?

most of the time that people start getting problems is when they start using the newest drivers ? So the first thing always tell them to do is go back to a known stable point ! Game permitting, I always tell people to try 53.03 as it is known to be good stable driver !

also, reduce your refresh rates to 75Hz and how does it look ?? By doing this, your reducing the stress on your card !

the Vsync driver option can be set using rivatuner or aTuner or whatever driver tweaker you have ! If set to ON, it means that your cards Frames per Sec will never exceed your monitors capabilities !

And, just because I always everytime I install any driver, I assume you have set your system refresh rates using Refreshforce, available from here,

http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/

best refresh rate setter there is for winXP ! Just set all greater than 75 to 75 and leave anything less than 75 where it is !!!

Martin_t01
05-29-04, 11:43 AM
May seem a stupid question but where do I get that version of driver form? When i go to nividia website i am navigated through a menu and given option to dl new driver only

Martin_t01
05-29-04, 01:50 PM
Iv tried everything suggested - the driver, rivatuner, vsync, frefresh rates etc....anyone have any other ideas? Plz

Martin_t01
05-29-04, 01:53 PM
Iv noticed something...The error only seems to occur or at least more frequently when looking at certain things. Here it is worst when looking at alot of green trees and grass. Look the other way n it improves vastly

jimmor
05-30-04, 05:55 AM
May seem a stupid question but where do I get that version of driver form? When i go to nividia website i am navigated through a menu and given option to dl new driver only

you can download many drivers from Guru3d website,

http://download.guru3d.com/detonator/

EDIT:

sorry, just noticed you already got and tried the 5303 driver !

jimmor
05-30-04, 06:09 AM
Iv noticed something...The error only seems to occur or at least more frequently when looking at certain things. Here it is worst when looking at alot of green trees and grass. Look the other way n it improves vastly

you are probably only identifying that it occurs under the stress of rendering specifically high detailed areas ? Which is why I suggested doing changes to lessen the loading on your card ? And if you did all these, did you also try setting your resolution to 800x600 at 16 bit ? Most cards should have no problems at this !

EDIT:

and are you sure your card is running 8x ? And are you also sure your mobo AGP drivers are installed properly ??

Martin_t01
05-30-04, 05:30 PM
Thankyou for all your help. Yes i did try lessening the res but problem still occured. However, iv found if i take the side off the system n direct the desk fan at it it vastly improves so im going to invest in some more fans etc. Thanks again

Martin_t01
05-31-04, 01:53 PM
Iv invested in gfx card fan, a system fan, a system exhaust fan and the problem still remains. Any more suggestions? My friend said something about turning fast write off in the bios?