PDA

View Full Version : Best Driver for GeForce 420 go?

Alpha2
05-29-04, 05:38 PM
Hi, I'm hoping someone on this forum might know.

I have a Toshiba Sattelite 2415-S206 with the Nvida GeForce 420 go (16mb) Graphics controller, and I was wondering whats currently the best driver I can use to get the best result with games? I currently have version 4.5.9.1.

I've been playing City of Heroes and I see all these screen shots of nice shiney outfits but yet everything is so flat on my screen. I get shadows and reflections on glass but the clothing effects are nowhere to be found (I've adjusted all the setting I can in the game with no effect) and all and I feel almost certain my machine can pull off stuff like this because I've actually SEEN it do better.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

saturnotaku
05-29-04, 06:10 PM
You're probably not getting them because 1) your graphics adapter only has 16 mb of video memory (most modern games require 32) and/or 2) your adapter is nothing more than a glorified GeForce2, which doesn't support any of the programmable shader functions that likely are used to render the game at the highest detail settings.

Also, can a mod move this to the correct forum?

vampireuk
05-29-04, 06:50 PM
*yoink*

Alpha2
05-29-04, 07:18 PM
Sorry for posting in the wrong section. It seemed like a suitable subject for the software forum.

Anyway, I did wonder if the 16mb was part of it but as I said the game runs so well as it stand now that missing that one effect seems like a ridiculously minor an effect to not have. Plus before soming here I'd searched for about an hour trying to figure out what the latest driver for it was and I kept getting the impression that there were different versions with varying degrees of effectivness.

I would still like to know if there are newer drivers than what I'm using though as it never seems as if any one source stays on top of the ones i need.

saturnotaku
05-29-04, 07:43 PM
I would still like to know if there are newer drivers than what I'm using though as it never seems as if any one source stays on top of the ones i need.

For laptop support, you need to download drivers from your laptop manufacturer. NVIDIA does not provide direct support for laptops. But you can force-install any reference driver on a laptop. Do a search on this forum for posts made by me and GeForce4 440 Go - you should come up with something. I'd do it myself, but I'm drinking and can't be bothered to look. :alc:

Alpha2
05-30-04, 12:45 PM
hehehe, Far be it from me to be a buzz kill. Thanks for the help!