PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Engines? Arent they beautiful?

Intel17
05-29-04, 09:56 PM
I just finished playing the original Unreal and WOW!! Even for a 6 year old game it still looks pretty nice! Especially the use of high quality textures and the cool mirror effects as well. Then i played Quake 2 and it was like just bland brown textures. I think Unreal even looks better than half life as well. Then there's the Unreal engine 2, which looks stunning even after being around for two years. Did you guys notice the detail in the characters in UT2004's intro movie? And finally the video's from Unreal Engine 3 are just :drooling:

I think that EPIC games might just be the leader in GFx technology (followed by id)

anyway just share your thoughts on the unreal engine :)
________
Ford kansas city assembly plant history (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Kansas_City_Assembly_Plant)

saturnotaku
05-29-04, 10:09 PM
You do realize that Half-Life was based on the original Quake (not Q2) engine, right? Of course a game like Unreal that came out later is going to look better. But you haven't really experienced Unreal until you've played it with full OpenGL. I haven't fired that up since I got rid of my laptop earlier this year, but even on a 1.6 GHz P4-M an a GeForce4 440 Go (GF4 MX), it played perfectly smooth at 1280x1024 and 2xAA/4xAF.

While I think the U3 engine looks pretty, it's not going to be practical until at least the NV50/R500 generation, which are at least a year off. From the videos (which you consider a good indication of how a game is going to be), Valve holds the current lead in GFX technology with the Source engine. If what they say is true, you will be able to run Half-Life 2 on a system as old as a P3 600 and a DirectX 6 generation video card (TNT2). Say what you want about all the delays and hoopla surrounding HL2, I still believe it's the most impressive technology - even beyond what Doom 3 will offer.

Intel17
05-29-04, 10:14 PM
Half life came after Unreal :)

Anyway are you trying to tell me that http://doom3.com/images/desktops/desktop_3_lg.jpg

doesnt look better than http://www.planethalflife.com/half-life2/screenshots/03.jpg

well evreyone is entitled to an opinion :)
________
HONDA MANUFACTURING OF ALABAMA (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Manufacturing_of_Alabama)

Ninja Prime
05-29-04, 11:12 PM
I'm pretty sure the marine in the Doom 3 shot is a render. Either that or it's done at a much higher detail since it will only be seen in cutseens.

saturnotaku
05-29-04, 11:43 PM
I'm pretty sure the marine in the Doom 3 shot is a render.

Has to be. The style looks similar to the DOAX posters of Ayane and Kasumi that I have - both are renders showing no aliasing whatsoever. You sure as heck won't get that when you fire up your Xbox.

Viral
05-30-04, 12:14 AM
Has to be. The style looks similar to the DOAX posters of Ayane and Kasumi that I have - both are renders showing no aliasing whatsoever. You sure as heck won't get that when you fire up your Xbox.

Yes, but it will look like that (from a different camera of course) on PC. No one has mentioned Xbox in this thread so i assumed PC is what was being talked about...

But, there are better shots of HL2 out there. If that one had AA it would look a little better.

Overall i feel HL2 has a more realistic environment where as Doom3 looks stunning but fairly unrealistic. Still vey nice though, and probably better if you want to be amazed.

Kamel
05-30-04, 12:53 AM
i agree with you, however, q2 was a lot earlier than the original unreal.

i like the quake style engines a lot better than epic's because quake3 seems to be a bit easier to manipulate... scripting capabilities etc. i am sure the unreal engines have the same support (i've seen many cool cmd's for the new unreal engine).

also, for how old it is, i think quake looks great. you should get the enhanced textures mod for quake2, it really livens up the game.

jAkUp
05-30-04, 02:49 AM
id still makes the best of engines IMO

nVidi0t
05-30-04, 04:01 AM
That Doom 3 picture is probably not a render. When I play the Doom 3 Alpha at max settings it looks exactly like that.

nVidi0t
05-30-04, 04:03 AM
Back on topic, yeah Unreal was absolutely amazing at the time. I remember buying it and buying another Voodoo 2 12mb on the same day to run the game using SLI at 1280X1024. Wow, looking at the opening waterfall as you exit the vortex rikers was something.

Morrow
05-30-04, 06:55 AM
Back on topic, yeah Unreal was absolutely amazing at the time. I remember buying it and buying another Voodoo 2 12mb on the same day to run the game using SLI at 1280X1024. Wow, looking at the opening waterfall as you exit the vortex rikers was something.

agreed, the first waterfall combined with the beautiful atmospheric music which plays when leaving the spaceship is definitely one of the greatest gaming moments I ever experienced and unfortunately U1 is also one of the last few games which offered such a great gaming immersion with the exception of Half-Life and "The Longest Journey".

Remembering Unreal 1 gives me the creeps when I think again about how bland, uninspired and boring Unreal 2 was in contrast to the first game.

Hopefully Unreal 3 offers again fantastic graphics AND an awesome singleplayer experience.

nVidi0t
05-30-04, 07:29 AM
agreed, the first waterfall combined with the beautiful atmospheric music which plays when leaving the spaceship is definitely one of the greatest gaming moments I ever experienced and unfortunately U1 is also one of the last few games which offered such a great gaming immersion with the exception of Half-Life and "The Longest Journey".

Remembering Unreal 1 gives me the creeps when I think again about how bland, uninspired and boring Unreal 2 was in contrast to the first game.

Hopefully Unreal 3 offers again fantastic graphics AND an awesome singleplayer experience.

Yeah The Longest Journey had me glued for 3 days straight. I've been meaning to play that through again..

About Unreal 2 being a dissapointment, tell me about it. What made Unreal so awesome was the sense of adventure and discovery. You literally trek across the entire surface of Na Pali, through Nali Villages, up the Sun Spire, through the Water God temple, caves and through crashed spaceships, and because of the graphics at the time, I could spend a few minutes just admiring the scenery. At least Unreal 3 is out of the hands of Legend.

Intel17
05-30-04, 08:49 AM
That doom 3 shot is in game.

Anyway in my opinion id software and Epic games are the best at engines!

And i hope the next unreal is a good sp experience with the great graphics, like Unreal was.
________
Lovely Wendie (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

saturnotaku
05-30-04, 09:31 AM
Anyway in my opinion id software and Epic games are the best at engines!

They would have to be considering how most of the top selling games of the last 5 years use engines that either one of these companies created.

One engine I wish was used more was Serious. It certainly was well-done, being able to render large outdoor environments smoothly on cards like the GeForce2 and original Radeon. I'm also hoping to see some good games based on the Source and Crytek engines as well.

'Nother question - what engine is STALKER using? Is that one being built from the ground up?

What made Unreal so awesome was the sense of adventure and discovery. You literally trek across the entire surface of Na Pali, through Nali Villages, up the Sun Spire, through the Water God temple, caves and through crashed spaceships, and because of the graphics at the time, I could spend a few minutes just admiring the scenery. At least Unreal 3 is out of the hands of Legend.

Damn you for brining that up! :p Now I'm going to have to reinstall it, patch it for OpenGL and fire it up again. :rw:

Intel17
05-30-04, 12:02 PM
STALKER is using the Xray engine which was built by the company who is making the game (with alot of help from nvidia i hear)
________
Lovely Wendie99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

jbirney
06-01-04, 11:06 AM
i like the quake style engines a lot better than epic's because quake3 seems to be a bit easier to manipulate... scripting capabilities etc. i am sure the unreal engines have the same support (i've seen many cool cmd's for the new unreal engine).

Not to start an agurement but I have had first hand scripting experince for both Q2/Q3 and UT mods. UT is by far much much easier to code for.

also, for how old it is, i think quake looks great. you should get the enhanced textures mod for quake2, it really livens up the game.

yea i have seen then and they do help. Problem is Q2 is still locked into a limited number of colors in its pallet. Unreal (at that time) was limited to only 256 different color in any one texture. So with Unreal you really could make some breath taking visuals.

The only bad point with Unreal is its netcode..well just sucked. It was not till UT till they got better netcode (and IMHO it still is behind Q3)...

|JuiceZ|
06-01-04, 11:19 AM

Hehe tell me about it man, that too was one of the greatest moments I've ever experienced playing a fps and was actually one of the last games I played sp mission completely through. Speaking of the ambient music, a few months back I converted all the .umx music from the Unreal1 cd to mp3's to listen to in iTunes. Skytown, Surface & Chizra Ceremony are still my favs. The music really made you apart of the environment.

saturnotaku
06-01-04, 12:30 PM
Hehe tell me about it man, that too was one of the greatest moments I've ever experienced playing a fps and was actually one of the last games I played sp mission completely through. Speaking of the ambient music, a few months back I converted all the .umx music from the Unreal1 cd to mp3's to listen to in iTunes. Skytown, Surface & Chizra Ceremony are still my favs. The music really made you apart of the environment.

I officially hate you now. :p

This week, after I finish tearing apart and cleaning my system top to bottom, hardware to software, I'm going to reinstall and replay Unreal. :rw:

Edge
06-01-04, 01:07 PM
Ya know, I could never get into the original Unreal. I thought it was really a kinda bland and generic FPS to be honest (weapons weren't special and everything from enemies to environments were pretty standard). However, I was (and still am) amazed by the graphics: I remember that I got Unreal for my 200mhz computer RIGHT before my friend got his shiny new 500mhz Athlon computer with a TNT2u (which back then was THE top of the line and cost him a pretty penny), and I remember seeing Unreal and saying to him "I don't care how good your computer is, there's no way it can do graphics better than THIS!". And it was very impressive, even in software mode I ran it at 640x480 for a while (ran a bit slow, like around 8-10 FPS, but god was it pretty). Those huge environments were just breathtaking, the waterfall was a sight to behold, and the lighting was spectacular (that one area where you flip the switch and the lights go out sequentially in that hallway before that one guy poped out was really cool). Still, I don't think I got more than an hour or so into it before I just gave up because it was kinda boring to play, but yeah, the Unreal engines always look spectacular, even if I don't care much for the Unreal games themselves.

|JuiceZ|
06-01-04, 01:31 PM
I officially hate you now. :p

This week, after I finish tearing apart and cleaning my system top to bottom, hardware to software, I'm going to reinstall and replay Unreal. :rw:

lol if it makes you feel any better, I'm gonna play it tonight too and see if that ole' feeling comes back :p

(that one area where you flip the switch and the lights go out sequentially in that hallway before that one guy poped out was really cool).

That was one of my fav maps. The funny thing is, the first time I played that map was at a gamecenter with a far nicer rig than I had at the time, with huge spkrs. That skaarg freaked me out so much I had to pause the game, yea I'm a pansy :bleh: Anyone wanna spend the night at my place when D3 comes out? Prolly won't be able to play it alone :scarey: :p

jbirney
06-01-04, 02:32 PM
My favorite map in Unreal...I forget the name of it, but it did have the amplitheator on it. I used to to make a king of the hill map:
http://www.planetunreal.com/chaotic/maps/koth/temple/KOTH_temple_1.jpg

Then I loved the Nali Castle map so I modified that on as well as a KOTH map:
http://www.planetunreal.com/chaotic/maps/koth/lc/KOTH_lost_castle_2.jpg
http://www.planetunreal.com/chaotic/maps/koth/lc/KOTH_lost_castle_4.jpg

There were more maps in Unreal that were equally as cool

svetli_pp
06-02-04, 06:57 AM
I agree Epic are leaders in graphics technology. They have always had the best looking games since first Unreal Tournament. And now when I play UT2004 after finishing FarCry I am still amazed how gorgeous it is. And everything is achieved with far less system requirements. For me no doubt unreal engine supremacy. And UT is one of the most polished games with practically no glitches and wonderful physics. So I think Doom3 will be a leader only until Unreal3 engine comes around.