PDA

View Full Version : Is my card not getting enough juice?

Lezmaka
05-30-04, 07:55 AM
I recently started having a problem with my BFG Tech GF4 Ti4200. A few days ago, I brought my system out of standby (the S3 deep sleep where everything is basically shut off) and Windows came up, but it was running in clone mode at 640x480 (I usually run dual view with both monitors at 1280x1024). I checked the device manager and sure enough, it had a little yellow exclamation mark on it. The error was "This device cannot start. (Code10)".

My CPU was overclocked (Athlon XP 2100+) to 1950mhz (13x150) and so I put it back to the default speed, rebooted and everything was working fine again.

So today I was wanting to add a 3rd monitor to see if I can get my TV tuner on that screen and still have my two main monitors. I grabbed an old S3 Trio64V+ out of an old system and booted to Windows. This time, I didn't even get clone mode on the GF4, only 1 screen was active and both video cards had the same error as before. The problem isn't with Windows or the drivers, because even the POST and BIOS screens only had 1 monitor getting a signal when they are usually cloned.

Here's everything I've got in my system:
MSI K7N2-V (http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2-V&class=mb)
Athlon XP 2100+ @ stock clocks
1GB DDR400
GF4 Ti4200 @ stock clocks
120GB HD
30GB HD
Plextor PX-708A DVD burner
TDK 12/10/32 CD burner
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum (the one with the drive bay which takes a floppy power connector)
TV tuner card

I'm not sure about the power supply right now, I got the case/mobo/cpu from a friend about 6 months ago and I can't remember what kind it is, but it's either 300W or 350W and most likely a generic brand.

I figured I'd ask around before I start tearing my system apart, the case is a pain in the ass, so any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I haven't noticed any stability problems, spontaneous reboots, etc.

Dazz
05-30-04, 08:31 AM
Update your board and video card drivers, 300w should be enough really.