PDA

View Full Version : GT4 Mother Nature - Problem

rafael
05-31-04, 04:38 AM
Hi!

About a week ago I recieved my new FX 5900XT Golden Sample card, and so far I'm quite satisfied compared to my old graphics cards. Unfortunately, there's a problem.

After noticed poor preformance in UT2004 (I know the game is cpu intensive) and decided to investigate the case to see if I was able to find the problem or a solution. After searching forums, internet, reading reviews, benchmark results, compared and so on I thought I'd try 3dmark03 so that I could directly compare my results with others with the same (or quite similar) hardware.

After I had downloaded and installed 3dmark03 (v3.4.0) I ran the benchmark and went to watch the telly. When I came back the machine had rebooted. Then I ran it again and saw that all the Game Tests before number 4 (Mother Nature) ran all fine. When number 4 (also called Mother Nature) ran I just saw yellow artifacts and then it rebooted.

To be honest I don't know if there's some issue with some of my hardware or software I'm using, but that's also why I'm asking you. :)

While I ran the test I used Windows XP Pro with SP1 and DirectX 9.0b, no other programs in the backround. I've also run some stresstests (prim95) over the night (9 hours exactly) without any errors.

My hardware:
Asus P4C800 Deluxe (BIOS: final 1606)
P4 2Ghz NW
512MB DDR PC2700
Gainward GeForce FX 5900XT Golden Sample (v56.72 drivers, never OC'ed)
2x Seagate HDD
Pioneer DVD
Plextor CD-RW

I've checked for newer BIOS to my graphics card, but didn't get any from Gainward's Expert Tool. Also, I have plugged the electric plug into the card (as purposed I hope), but I'm beginning to be unsure of if it works (because of the problems).

I'm greatful for any help I can get on this matter. I hate broken hardware, especially the kind that's not fixable by me. If you guys need some more info on my hardware or similar just ask.

Thank you,
- rafael

jimmor
05-31-04, 05:44 AM
the mother nature test in 3dmark03 is a very high stress test on any card ? Even my 5900nu flashed to a MSI5950u and running 300/500/1000 drops down to around 13FPS at some points of mother nature test !

If you are overclocking your card, then I think your bad artifacting can be caused by simple overtemping/overstressing problems ? However if it is happening with your card at stock speeds, then your card may be faulty or it could be just a driver problem ?

What driver are you using ??

try 53.03 as it is a driver I know to be reasonably stable!

If your setup had shut down, then I would have suspected your PSU, however rebooting just usually means there was some graphics corruption that windows couldn't handle ?

rafael
05-31-04, 06:58 AM
I've not overclocked my card at all, everything is at retail settings. I don't think it's my PSU, because its quality is quite good and the amount of effect it delivers is sufficient. To be honest I may think that it's card, which has some core problems or something.

I tried the 53.03 and found it suprisingly that artifacts now appeared on GT1 instead of 4. Also, the reboot sequence was initiated after GT2 finished loading. This means that whatever the driver (53.03) instructs at GT2 and the latest driver (56.72) instructs at GT4 is the cause of my problem.

- rafael

rewt
05-31-04, 07:16 AM
53.03 should have worked fine. Have you tried enabling/disabling fast writes? Also, what are your BIOS settings set at? ie AGP aperture size, timings, volts, etc.

rafael
05-31-04, 07:52 AM
My BIOS isn't that configurable when it comes to AGP-setttings. I don't have any options for Fast Writes nor timings or volts (for agp, that is).

My AGP aperture size is 128MB.

rewt
05-31-04, 08:47 AM
how about disabling fast writes from the nVidia control panel? there's an option under AGP settings if you run my coolbits file. see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29279

Eck
05-31-04, 09:31 AM
My BIOS isn't that configurable when it comes to AGP-setttings. I don't have any options for Fast Writes nor timings or volts (for agp, that is).

My AGP aperture size is 128MB.

I have a P4P800 which is almost the same as the P4C800, and my BIOS has all of those options. I don't feel like rebooting to tell you exactly where they are, but as I recall it's under one of the first two options, then under "Advanced Tune Up" or something weird like that. They are there, trust me.

rafael
05-31-04, 02:18 PM
how about disabling fast writes from the nVidia control panel? there's an option under AGP settings if you run my coolbits file. see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29279

That 'patch' didn't work completely for me. I'm using 5672 drivers and got some of the extra options. AGP settings was not one of them.

I have a P4P800 which is almost the same as the P4C800, and my BIOS has all of those options. I don't feel like rebooting to tell you exactly where they are, but as I recall it's under one of the first two options, then under "Advanced Tune Up" or something weird like that. They are there, trust me.

I'm quite sure I've no options like that in my BIOS. I've checked it quite thoroughly and didn't find anything like Fast Writes or similar.

jimmor
05-31-04, 05:03 PM
while investigating the problem, you must only use a stable driver like 53.03 !

No point in making things harder by having to sort out which problems belong to the driver and which to your mobo/card ?

The coolbits/driver control panel must show AGP settings tab or either your 53.03 driver is not installed properly or your mobo AGP drivers are not installed properly ?

Eck
06-01-04, 12:24 AM
I'm quite sure I've no options like that in my BIOS. I've checked it quite thoroughly and didn't find anything like Fast Writes or similar.

You're quite intent on making me reboot aren't ya...

-=DVS=-
06-01-04, 12:40 AM
Let me get this at first you had yellow artifacts in Nature 4 , test then it started in other tests also ? :eek2: its a bit obvious its defective hardware , software doesn't do these things , check if fan is working , play some games with max quality try to see if you get more artifacts or reboots , if you got your card from retail shop i would just replace it.

rafael
06-01-04, 09:14 AM
I've never used my chipset drivers before, just because I've never had use for them. Therefore I will install the card back inside the computer and then try 3dmark with the chipsetdrivers.

rafael
06-01-04, 10:24 AM
:dance:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

First of all I've got to say that even though it's all fixed with the chipsetdrivers installed, I'm quite dissapointed of myself. I'd never installed the chipsetdrivers before because I couldn't see their function. That statement is based on that I never needed them before now, and I think I've learned an important lesson.

I will NEVER underestimate the importance of the chipsetdrivers for a stable and functional windows install. I would also like to thank everyone who participated in this thread and that you helped me out. I'm really glad I didn't have to send the card back to only know that there was nothing wrong with it, and that its all fixed now though the trouble I went through. All I had to do was to install the drivers in the first place. :spank:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH :)

Yours sincerely
Rafael Moe