PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia has deliverly problems with 6800 series

Pages : [1] 2

smeagol
05-31-04, 06:14 AM
Credit Suisse First Boston Corporation said Friday NVIDIA has some issues with the ramp of NVIDIA GeForce 6800-series graphics processors because of IBM’s inability to allocate a lot of manufacturing company for the graphics giant.

IBM Cannot Produce Enough GeForce 6800?

Foundry constraints continue to limit NVIDIA’s flexibility. NVIDIA is ramping two GeForce 6800 high-end parts on 300mm at IBM’s East Fishkill, New York, foundry, which continues to have limited ability to increase its wafer allocation, CSFB is reported to have said by Forbes.

The NVIDIA GeForce 6800-series of chips unveiled in mid-April are the company’s flagship products in the GeForce 6-series of graphics processors. The GeForce 6-series of graphics processors will be eventually available across entry-level, mainstream, performance-mainstream, high-end as well as so-called ultra high-end graphics cards. The new series of NVIDIA’s graphics processors is the company’s second generation lineup of DirectX 9.0-compatible offerings that greatly leverage the feature-set of NVIDIA GeForce FX graphics chips and brings important additional capabilities, such as Shader Model 3.0, as well as great performance improvements over the previous generation hardware.

NVIDIA Still Delivers Chips

Problems with the ramp of the high-end GeForce 6800-series of graphics processors may affect positions of Santa Clara, California-based graphics company in the market of high-end graphics cards.

While the company’s long-term ability to ramp up the high-end offerings is under questions, at this point the threat for NVIDIA is not serious, as the company still managed to deliver a batch of $499 graphics cards to producers of high-end personal computers for gamers as well as some GeForce 6800 Ultra products into the retail market. NVIDIA’s arch-rival ATI Technologies has so far managed to deliver its $399 RADEON X800 PRO offering that is slower compared to the GeForce 6800 Ultra, but could not start sales of the top-of-the-line ATI RADEON X800 XT graphics cards.

Quantities of the GeForce 6800 Ultra chips NVIDIA succeeds in bringing to the market are not clear. The graphics cards are reportedly available in limited quantities in Tokyo, Japan as well as from leading USA-based PC makers. ATI RADEON X800 PRO are available all around the world.

Credit Suisse First Boston believes that NVIDIA’s ability to rapidly increase production of complex graphics processors may improve once the firm inks contracts with companies who have similar manufacturing technologies with IBM, such as Chartered Semiconductor.

CFSB said NVIDIA is on track with its second quarter of fiscal 2005.

NVIDIA did not comment on the news-story on Sunday

Source: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20040530115849.html

Riptide
05-31-04, 09:57 AM
I know some people who will be very disappointed if they don't get their preorders shipped on 6/8. :)

Blacklash
05-31-04, 12:36 PM
If this is true it's a shame. nVidia will basically be shut out by availability. I know I am throwing a X800pro in a rig very soon, and was hoping to have a nVidia in number two. This is not cool for them.

Riptide
05-31-04, 12:47 PM
If this is true it's a shame. nVidia will basically be shut out by availability. I know I am throwing a X800pro in a rig very soon, and was hoping to have a nVidia in number two. This is not cool for them.I agree. I know there are some impatient people out there like me who are getting tired of waiting. :)

If there are delays it might contribute to x800 sales, or at least the pro.

randsom
05-31-04, 12:52 PM
youd think after the nv30 fab problems nvidia would have been more careful about the fabrication end of things,tmsc is saying theyre haveing great sucsess with their .13u process now.

OR

Are the new vpus to complex, for current manufacturing techniques.Tmsc is fabbing the x800 series and theres not alot of them lying around, and the x800 xts havent been seen in the wild yet.So it seems, that both camps may be having some serious yield problems.

Eymar
05-31-04, 03:54 PM
Another bad thing about this is even though there greater competition on both sides, we probably see retail prices from all vendors for a while. Maybe a little less for oem, but if it's $10-20 less then I go with retail and the full warranty. Hopefully this doesn't affect the 6800GT (ie. move more chips to the 6800U to gather as much profit from yields as possible) or the rumored X800XT non-PE.

CaiNaM
05-31-04, 04:26 PM
even worse is that availability dictates pricing, so we may end up paying more regardless of which brand we choose. was hoping for an nv40 soon for my other pc, but it doesn't look good :(

well, at least it will be easier to hold off since it's not my primary pc.

Jarred
06-01-04, 03:20 PM
"Quantities of the GeForce 6800 Ultra chips NVIDIA succeeds in bringing to the market are not clear."

I think some of you are speculating and jumping to conclusions.

edit: I'm not saying theres not a possibility they;ll be limited, but lets not get trigger happy here.

they are trying to be more careful about things, thats why they've gone to IBM, and it seems silly to me that IBM can't deliver.

r2d2d3d4d5
06-01-04, 03:32 PM
I think IBM can deliver (probably) but maybe nVidia are asking for too much in terms of clock of speeds. We'll see soon.

Socos
06-01-04, 03:32 PM
youd think after the nv30 fab problems nvidia would have been more careful about the fabrication end of things,tmsc is saying theyre haveing great sucsess with their .13u process now.

OR

Are the new vpus to complex, for current manufacturing techniques.Tmsc is fabbing the x800 series and theres not alot of them lying around, and the x800 xts havent been seen in the wild yet.So it seems, that both camps may be having some serious yield problems.

As far as I know the X800 XT delays are due to getting the high speed GDDR3 memory. It appears that the X800 pro and X800 XT are the same core with the different memory modules. So yeild may not be an issue, but the fact its tough to find anyone with a PRO in stock tells me one of two things..... 1. they are having yield issues and can't keep supply 2. They are selling like hotcakes....

Jarred
06-01-04, 03:36 PM
As far as I know the X800 XT delays are due to getting the high speed GDDR3 memory. It appears that the X800 pro and X800 XT are the same core with the different memory modules. So yeild may not be an issue, but the fact its tough to find anyone with a PRO in stock tells me one of two things..... 1. they are having yield issues and can't keep supply 2. They are selling like hotcakes....

probably a bit of both.

evilchris
06-01-04, 04:15 PM
Neither the X800 nor 6800 are by any means "available". I could call every retailer in San Diego county and none would have a X800 Pro in stock. In fact, all say they haven't received any yet either. If it isn't in retail, it isn't "available".

DivotMaker
06-01-04, 05:11 PM
Neither the X800 nor 6800 are by any means "available". I could call every retailer in San Diego county and none would have a X800 Pro in stock. In fact, all say they haven't received any yet either. If it isn't in retail, it isn't "available".

I have seen X800 Pro's at CompUSA in Houston....not for long, but I DID put my hands on one....

OWA
06-01-04, 05:15 PM
Lucky you. My area (VA) was supposed to get them by the end of May but nothing yet. :(

muzz
06-01-04, 05:16 PM
Geez BB I would think with all the good things you've done for EA they would have had 1 delivered to your house... ;)

Riptide
06-01-04, 05:20 PM
I like the title of this thread. Maybe they should try a c-section. ;) :D

evilchris
06-01-04, 05:35 PM
I like the title of this thread. Maybe they should try a c-section. ;) :D

I think partial birth abortions are legal again too.

Riptide
06-01-04, 08:07 PM
Actually, I'm about to give birth to 5 6800 Ultras any moment now, but I'm having "problems w/delivery". :p

3madcows
06-01-04, 09:40 PM
<being silly>
They can't do c-sections. That will be illegal optimization of the delivery. Although the final result may be indistinguishable to the naked eye, it's not using the correct path. Using one pipe is definitely gonna be a bottleneck. Should haved designed the delivery with two pipes.
</being silly>

Sgt_Pitt
06-01-04, 10:37 PM
I went to the local store here in Australia, and they have heaps of x800's for sale, but no 6800's which is what i went down to get. :''(

MUYA
06-01-04, 10:41 PM
6800 non ultras (local Forsa brand) are strangely available here but are damned expensive US$550+ I was like WTF???? when i heard the asking price. No ATI cards available here though.

saturnotaku
06-01-04, 10:49 PM
Actually, I'm about to give birth to 5 6800 Ultras any moment now, but I'm having "problems w/delivery". :p

Can I adopt one when you get out of labor? :angel:

Sgt_Pitt
06-01-04, 10:49 PM
Wow thats expensive, the Ati X800 pro boards i saw were made by MSI, and so is the 6800u. The price of the MSI X800 pro was $799AUS which is about $399US and the 6800u was quoted to me at $1040AUS which is around $499US, so the prices are the same as ive read on numerous sights. they are probably charging you a premium due to the availability.

Anyway im supposed to pick up my 6800u in a few days, the salesman is trying to track down his MSI distributor guy for me, i gotta ring back in 1 hour :)

Drumphil
06-01-04, 11:27 PM
It would be a shame for NVIDIA to hurt themselves like this (again!) with product delays, after actually making a really desireable card this time round.

Skynet
06-02-04, 12:45 AM
I could be wrong, but to my knowledge I don't believe nVidia ever made an announcement of a specific ship date for the 6800's. This is actually nothing new for nVidia, for years they have announced products (aka paper launch) but shipped them sometimes months after. It's a shame really, especially considering the 6800 is far and away the best hardware nVidia has ever designed.

I hope they are not pulling another 5800FX, meaning they are scrambling to release a faster version of the 6800. Just ship the thing already please.