PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys make it thru Prime95?

ragejg
05-31-04, 10:20 PM
meh...

I don't...

Now suddenly I feel so... unstable... :(

I'm gonna give my mobile barton an L12 mod tomorrow maybe, and see if it helps.

So how bout you guys? :D

anzak
05-31-04, 10:25 PM
I need to update my sig I guess. Im running at 180mhz fsb now. I failed prime 95 in under 30 min which IMO is not stable. This is because Im using a small amount of crappy thermal grease from my old emachines (thats a long story). Im buying 256mb of memory and some arctic silver 5 soon, I will update after I apply it. Also, this is my 300th post!

ragejg
05-31-04, 10:33 PM
congrats on the 300...

My gf's 8rda+/2500 @ stock/2x256mb Samsung PC2700 is chuggin along fine right now in Prime95...

But my gigabyte GA-7N400-L1/2400 mobile without L12 mod @ 200x12 @ 1.825v/2x512mb Geil PC3200 failed right away...

Thing is, I game with this PC every day, and really don't run into bad stability issues... but I do see teh amount of people using prime95 as a stability test, and I'd kinda like to be on par with other users who IMO are being complete about their stability.

Kamel
05-31-04, 10:59 PM
i failed in like 5 minutes before... however, everything that i ran ran great. i didn't ever notice *any* problems. oh well, the solution was simple; yet annoying. i had to up my voltage from 1.65 to 1.75 :'(

this made higher temps, but it had to be done, especially when running linux; because you compile a lot of programs =\

Dazz
06-01-04, 02:00 PM
Prime95 is only good for testing the Athlons as if it passes it's fully stable, most tests completed means you probley won't come across any problems with games etc. However the P4 cheats due to Hyper Threading, my P4 2.8C @ 3.5+GHz was unstable yet would pass Prime95 without problems.

ragejg
06-01-04, 02:07 PM
Cheating?

in Prime95?

...omg...

:p

|JuiceZ|
06-01-04, 02:12 PM
Prime95 should be use in additional to other apps to test stability, not to be the surpreme decider. Not saying yer using it that way rage just wanted to throw that out. Have had prime fail on me in 15mins on couple o'c machines that run perfectly stable for weeks on end.

ragejg
06-01-04, 02:40 PM
I'd be less leery about using it on my main rig IF this mobile barton's temps could be read correctly by sandra, and if my BIOS would report the temps properly as well... I guess this is a common problem for GA-7N400-XX owners... I have to go by the feel of the heatsink... and, to boot, nobody seems to have consistent info on mobile barton voltage situations, as I see some people hittin 2.2-2.4 on 1.775, and some have to go to like 2V! I noticed my Prime95 stability went up when I kicked the cpu up to 1.85... but no real heat increase either... Well, I'm gonna try some UT2k4 on it tonite and see how the 1.85v thing pans out...

I'm so glad I did a whole review before noticing this instability... :p It ran absolutely schweet through the whole review, and put up with 3 video card swaps...

Watch, just for havin that good of luck, I'll probably get hit by a falling tree the next time I go outside. :p

BTW, no such problems with my 8RDA+/2500 combo... it just runs hotter. :p

Kamel
06-01-04, 03:52 PM
Prime95 should be use in additional to other apps to test stability, not to be the surpreme decider. Not saying yer using it that way rage just wanted to throw that out. Have had prime fail on me in 15mins on couple o'c machines that run perfectly stable for weeks on end.

yes, but prime95 primarily tests for processor/l1/l2 cache miscalculations... this is exactly in the same manner that programs will compile, so if prime95 will run on any box, no matter the situation, it should be good for compiling and distributed computing projects, however that does NOT mean under any circumstances that it's stable. that just means your processor will not process incorrectly. if you want to test for stability, i suggest running a program that tests many aspects, including 3d applications. i could be wrong, but i think if you do fail the test that's a definite unstable. if you pass the test, that's just a possible unstable. thats how i would look at it anyway.

Nutty
06-01-04, 06:22 PM
I tried setting higher timings on my RAM, all games ran fine, but doing some dvd encoding, nero vision would crash a few times. I then tried prime95, and it failed in 20 seconds. So I set my RAM back to normal, and prime95 was fine.. No more crashes in dvd encoding either.

I think Games are alot more tollerant of cpu faults, especially floating point stuff.. you probably wont notice anything weird. But other high load apps can often crash from it.

adenosine
06-09-04, 03:25 PM
im running 12.5x200 with my 2500+Mobile at 1.8v. i have a NF7-S so its actually 1.74v when i get into windows and use a few utilities to read the voltage. itll only do prime95 when i have the voltage at least this high.

13x200 wont do prime95 no matter what :( . i even tried up to 2.20v (2.15~) but it itll freeze immediately. its wierd how the CPU has that brick wall... i figured if it did 2500mhz @ 1.75vcore, it would still have a little overhead

saturnotaku
06-09-04, 03:49 PM
BTW, no such problems with my 8RDA+/2500 combo... it just runs hotter. :p

Hopefully you'll also get no problems when you get my old 2500. :)

Banko
06-09-04, 04:05 PM
Mine fails test 1 at 2.5ghz with a regular barton, but this comp hasn't crashed at all. It also ran as a server that speed for a month without a reboot.