PDA

View Full Version : Second PCI card drivers won't work. Windows says version not right...

magius
06-02-04, 07:36 AM
I just installed a second video card, a GeForceFX5200 PCI.
Driver installation went great, however, after the reboot the video card doesn't work at all. Accessing Display Properties gives out an error: "Drivers were written for a previous version of Windows. Switching to default VGA drivers". The Settings page for the Nvidia card doesn't display any usable information.

The catch is the following: my main video card is (for now) non-nvidia (ok, ok, it's an ATI AGP 9800Pro). Are there conflicts going on in the background with the video drivers? Are there any special BIOS settings that need to be enabled?

Any sugestions are welcome, at this point even flames for having ATI as the primary display, lol. I looked around the forums but couldn't find a similar situation...

Thanks all in advance for your help!!!

magius
06-03-04, 07:14 AM
Well, after much tweaking around and searching around the web I found a partial solution...

1. The PCI card has to be initialized first (check BIOS settings)
2. Boot Windows in VGA mode (press F8 when booting) and the install the new video card drivers (if you installed the drivers previously deleting the card from the device manager window and letting it reinstall may work too).

Now, the drawbacks are that the AGP card is no longer primary and the PCI has to be disabled for gaming (in order to use the AGP). At least that is my predicament rigth now. However, when I tried to play a game, the screen on the AGP card wouldn't initialize itself. *sigh* Not to mention that the drivers seem to be quietly fighting for dominance in the background. ATI and Nvidia's taskbar apps crash everytime (actually, I still have to play with Nvidias, but ATI's doesn't like the company).

Anyone been down this road before? :)

deed
06-04-04, 02:23 AM
i have g200 pci and fx5800 in my system,they works fine,whichever
be the frist initialized card in the BOIS settings.
i made fx5800 be the primary card in Display Properties and expend the desktop to the second card G200 PCI,everything is ok
the game only can be palyed in the primary card by default,except the game
support ,just like AOD,you can select which card you want to play

SLippe
06-04-04, 02:44 AM
Having a FX 5200 and a 9800Pro...talk about having the extreme of both ends! LOL Just curious, why would you want to use the FX 5200 PCI instead of the 9800 Pro?

magius
06-04-04, 05:09 AM
Lol, I just wanted a second card to play with some LCD projects and found a 5200FX PCI at $50 after rebate... I knew from experience there would be some hiccups, but decided the check it out anyway. :)

Anyway, one last test today and the GeForce goes back for now. Sadly I will have to get some other card... *sigh*