PDA

View Full Version : speed increase with new NV drivers

Jarred
06-02-04, 12:51 PM
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16313

not to rain on anyones parade, but do better drivers ever increase speeds as much as they claim to?

I'd like to think that a 30% increase is possible but...

Riptide
06-02-04, 01:19 PM
It would be best to lower your expectations, I would agree. Kinda reminds me of an old zen saying:

Expect nothing, and you shall have everything. :)

Still, if it manages to catch up to the XT in FarCry there will be a lot of happy campers around here.

particleman
06-02-04, 01:51 PM
Drivers sometimes do reach their advertised performance increases, but usually only in 1 test out of 20 at the most extreme resolution, settings, and conditions.

Anyways since next to none of us own a NV40 yet (except reviewers and developers, those lucky bastards), I'm looking forward more to the bug fixes.

Edge
06-02-04, 02:23 PM
It is possible that newer drivers will offer a substantial increase for the 6800 series cards, though I do kinda doubt it'll be by that much. But since the 6800 is an all-new arcitecture, it probably has a lot of "hidden" performance that will be revealed with drivers. But a 30% speed increase in only 1 driver revision seems very unlikely (but hey, you never know!)

OWA
06-02-04, 02:34 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29460

Nv40
06-03-04, 12:31 AM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29460

well.. whatever speed gains NVidia get.. there is alot of work to do..
and games that have IQ issues or that simply doesnt work in any settings..

and i will like to see the VIdeo hardware chip working now.. i wonder why Nvidia simply doesnt delayed the launch of their hardware until their drivers were at least 95% ready in games and aplications . since the mass availability of the cards in retail was still months away. :retard:

Riptide
06-03-04, 08:47 AM
i wonder why Nvidia simply doesnt delayed the launch of their hardware until their drivers were at least 95% ready in games and aplications . since the mass availability of the cards in retail was still months away. :retard:
Oh, something about a major competitor releasing their product before them might have had a bit to do with it. ;)

DMA
06-03-04, 08:53 AM
So, any news yet about these drivers?

OWA
06-03-04, 09:27 AM
Oh, something about a major competitor releasing their product before them might have had a bit to do with it. ;)
Yeah, I initially thought it was really important for them to be first but on hindsight, I think not actually being ready is worse than not being first. It hasn't been quite as bad as it could have been since ATI's cards haven't been readily available either but that seems close to changing.

randsom
06-03-04, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I initially thought it was really important for them to be first but on hindsight, I think not actually being ready is worse than not being first. It hasn't been quite as bad as it could have been since ATI's cards haven't been readily available either but that seems close to changing.

yep it is changing, gateway acessory store has the x800 xt-pe in stock and its got a very good price, and its very hard not to pull the trigger,VERY HARD INDEED

MUST RESIST+MUST RESIST+MUST RESIST+MUST RESIST :drooling:

Riptide
06-03-04, 09:33 AM
randsom, I pulled the trigger on that deal last night. But I'm a pessimist - I think it's a typo on their website. I think it'll be late June before gateway ships jack d00d00. Why? Well, Compusa and BB were looking at 6/21 before shipping. While I know they're retail and Gateway really isn't, this "in stock, ships 2-3 days" bit seems pretty fishy to me...

Riptide
06-03-04, 09:35 AM
I think they would've been served better delaying the launch at least two weeks, maybe three. It would've scored points with most of us if the delay between launch and ship had been much less vs. ATI. They could've let ATI "look bad" by taking the longer period of time to ship after the launch.

randsom
06-03-04, 09:41 AM
randsom, I pulled the trigger on that deal last night. But I'm a pessimist - I think it's a typo on their website. I think it'll be late June before gateway ships jack d00d00. Why? Well, Compusa and BB were looking at 6/21 before shipping. While I know they're retail and Gateway really isn't, this "in stock, ships 2-3 days" bit seems pretty fishy to me...

sorry guys dont want to take this off topic.But

i dont know, Around some different forums, people have placed orders over the phone, and there customer service says its instock and ready to ship, but on the othher hand, i cant beliive if they are in stock, they havent sold out yet

Unit01
06-03-04, 10:02 AM
So, any news yet about these drivers?

A little off topic, has the NV4x cards been released yet? I still haven't seen any :/

DMA
06-03-04, 11:41 AM
A little off topic, has the NV4x cards been released yet? I still haven't seen any :/

Guess they haven't. Why do you ask me about that? :o

lowdog
06-04-04, 07:29 AM
I got one and I want the new drivers. Any word on when they will be available.