PDA

View Full Version : SMP & Gaming...

ragejg
10-17-02, 12:13 PM
Ok, so this guy Steve has a dual Celeron-533 board with gobs of RAM running XP Pro. He games a little, and experiences acceptable framerates (to him) in Serious Sam and Max Payne using his ATI Xpert 2000 vidcard... Sheesh... Well, I'm wondering if these games are using both processors. I know XP Pro does, but doesn't the game have to have an SMP kernel to utilize this? Kinda like Quake 3's SMP kernel that USED TO exist?

Any SMP gamers out there?

thcdru2k
10-17-02, 02:31 PM
yup, it needs to be coded to use smp.

ragejg
10-17-02, 02:37 PM
But I thought both of those games REQUIRED a 450 mhz or higher...

Cuz I thought I remembered trying to put max Payne on a K6-2 400 and it wouldn't go due to processor config.

This guy steve didn't install patches or nothing in these games, and they run good and fluid @ 640x480, med. detail. Good for him, but I'm puzzled.

Makes me wonder if my old dual slot 1 mobo would run nice w/xp pro powered by 2 Celery 850's. DIB (dual independatnt bus) ought to help memory access.

StealthHawk
10-17-02, 03:15 PM
unless the game actually checks system specs with the installer, then the "required specs" aren't required at all. the game will play, just probably not well.

DaveW
10-17-02, 09:03 PM
The more CPUs on a board, the less efficiently code runs. In practice you can never write code to split up the work evenly.

2 CPUs are not twice as fast as one, they are maybe 75% faster. 4 CPUs is maybe 50% faster than that. 8 CPUs adds another 20% improvement, 16 CPUs another 10%, 32 CPUs another 5%.

Apart from a few special cases where the code can be broken up into equal units (ala Seti@home) it is not efficient or cost effective to have more than one processor.