PDA

View Full Version : MSI GeForce5900XT, how many fan speeds?

glObalist
06-03-04, 02:05 PM
Hello,

I've been looking for info on this, but can't seem to find any anywhere.

How many fan speeds does a Microstar GeForceFX 5900XT VTD-128 card have? I mean, does the fan increase its rotations when you go from 2D to 3D, as in some other cards?

The thing is I can't see or hear any difference with the fan on my card and am a little bit worried. So please can anyone answer me and say "no the card only has one fan speed", or even better "yes, but both speeds are so quiet you won't hear the difference"? :lol2:

ragejg
06-03-04, 02:14 PM
It has on. And off. that's it. And it's not loud at all. It's a very quiet fan.

By the way, welcome to nvnews, glObalist!

glObalist
06-03-04, 03:02 PM
Thanks man, and yea, it's just damn quiet:)

jimmor
06-04-04, 05:18 AM
Hello,

I've been looking for info on this, but can't seem to find any anywhere.

How many fan speeds does a Microstar GeForceFX 5900XT VTD-128 card have? I mean, does the fan increase its rotations when you go from 2D to 3D, as in some other cards?

The thing is I can't see or hear any difference with the fan on my card and am a little bit worried. So please can anyone answer me and say "no the card only has one fan speed", or even better "yes, but both speeds are so quiet you won't hear the difference"? :lol2:

Fan speed on a 5900 card is controlled by the driver, and runs faster in 3D than in 2D ! Its usually the diff of running the fan with around 7v for 2D and 9v for 3D ! Therefore unlikely to hear much diff in noise unless you put your ear very close to fan ! Obviously you could prove this using a voltmeter accross your cards fan connector, like I did ?

glObalist
06-04-04, 07:36 AM
Alright, now I'm back to point zero, i.e. doubts about the functionality of my fan :screwy:

When you say it's controlled by the driver, do you mean any driver, or you mean the one from MSI?

jimmor
06-04-04, 07:51 AM
I mean the Nvidia driver, no matter who actually supplies it !

I currently use the MSI 53.03 driver as I like the MSI extras and I find the 53.03 in general to give most stable performance for my uses !

EDIT:

And as I said, use a voltmeter to prove it ? I did !

Also, although not necessary for my card, I believe there is an Fan Speed option in the Driver Control Panel Clock Frequencies Tab options ?? If not there, enable by setting Rivatuners Power User\Control Panel Global\NvCplEnableFanControl to 3 !

glObalist
06-04-04, 02:31 PM
Thaks Jimmor, but there's really no option for fan in the video properties tabs.

What's worse though, I didn't find the tweak in RivaTuner either. I opened Poweruser, but there's no NvCplEnableFanControl entry, not even any Control Panel Global to find it under.

Are you sure you gave me the right path there?

jimmor
06-05-04, 10:48 AM
Thaks Jimmor, but there's really no option for fan in the video properties tabs.

What's worse though, I didn't find the tweak in RivaTuner either. I opened Poweruser, but there's no NvCplEnableFanControl entry, not even any Control Panel Global to find it under.

Are you sure you gave me the right path there?

My directions to find the option in Rivatuner PowerUser tab" is because of my use of the 53.03 driver ?? However I would have thought that newer drivers wouldn't be that different ?

so lets try again, the "Control Panel Global" section is actually named as "NVIDIA Forceware 53.03 w2k Control panel global" and "NvCplEnableFanControl" is item 31 in list !

Also, whilst you are there, put "ffffffff" in Coolbits option !

EDIT:

of course you could just add this directly to your registry,

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"CoolBits"=dword:ffffffff
"NvCplThermalSettings"=dword:00000022
"NvCplEnableFanControl"=dword:00000003

glObalist
06-05-04, 12:10 PM
Oh, now I see I was working with the default rivatuner database :lol2:

Loaded the 53.03 one and it's there. Thanks a bunch.