PDA

View Full Version : Amd Fx

Jarred
06-03-04, 05:24 PM
heya, after looking at the benches on the AMD FX with the new 9-- socket boards I think that would be the Amd to go with right?

is it 64bit?

I was also thinking about... PCI express, not that games would support it right now, but, since it's pci couldn't you throw more cards in it? ... what I'm tryin to get at here is 3 monitors!. I got a dual setup now, but I think 3 would be totally bitchin, would that be possible with pci express?

|JuiceZ|
06-03-04, 05:39 PM
Yes Socket939 is for the FX model a64 cpu's. Also running 3 or more cards on the same sys has been done in the past but I haven't heard of anyone doing it recently.

Jarred
06-03-04, 05:41 PM
Yes Socket939 is for the FX model a64 cpu's. Also running 3 or more cards on the same sys has been done in the past but I haven't heard of anyone doing it recently.

becasue I'm kinda in a debate here... if Intel offers pci express which in turn offers multiple GPU's, which, ...will offer more than 2 monitors, I'll go with Intel.

but if not, I'm goin with AMd.

|JuiceZ|
06-03-04, 06:02 PM
Well let me put it this way, if you're waiting for PCI Express, keep waiting. It probably won't be till early next yr until the mb's equipped w/ PCI Express become the mainstream, let alone graphics cards. Don't forget the benenfit of PCI Express is not just the slot itself, but the increase bandwidth on the entire pci bus. The market is saturated with plenty enough AGP cards so they'll be around for a while.

Jarred
06-03-04, 07:35 PM
Well let me put it this way, if you're waiting for PCI Express, keep waiting. It probably won't be till early next yr until the mb's equipped w/ PCI Express become the mainstream, let alone graphics cards. Don't forget the benenfit of PCI Express is not just the slot itself, but the increase bandwidth on the entire pci bus. The market is saturated with plenty enough AGP cards so they'll be around for a while.

hmm... if it's gonna be that long then I'll just go with Amd.

Viral
06-04-04, 04:28 AM
There is no news of Motherboards having two PCI-E 16x slots (the ones used for video cards) as of yet. So don't count on dual videocards!

AGP will be around for a while.. if you get a top-end AGP card now you wont have to upgrade for quite a while anyway, and by the time you do, new motherboards will have far better options and have matured PCI-E support.

|JuiceZ|
06-04-04, 07:26 AM
AGP will be around for a while.. if you get a top-end AGP card now you wont have to upgrade for quite a while anyway, and by the time you do, new motherboards will have far better options and have matured PCI-E support.

yup, exactly.

Jarred
06-04-04, 12:17 PM
There is no news of Motherboards having two PCI-E 16x slots (the ones used for video cards) as of yet. So don't count on dual videocards!

ALienware got two vid cards going in a machine via PCI express right?

Sazar
06-04-04, 12:20 PM
sort of...

Hari Seldon
06-06-04, 10:14 AM
Matrox Parhelia supports 3 monitors. It's pretty powerless though, compared with Nvidia and Ati gpu's...

I don't know if it'll work with throwing in many PCI cards, if you're thinking of many PCI-E cards, since there're only 1 PCI-E x 16 slot in the computers (the rest are PCI-E x 1, last I heard) it might not work...

GamerGuyX
06-06-04, 04:21 PM
bump