PDA

View Full Version : 5900XT problem. Plz help!!

Xplode
06-04-04, 01:17 AM
As some of you know I bought an Leadtek Fx5900XT and the card is awsome, but whenever I turn my computer on it freezes at the start up screen. I have to pull the plug a couple of times so I can get the thing to load into windows. any ideas why this is happening?:(. someone plz help.

ChrisRay
06-04-04, 01:27 AM
Can I ask what power supply your using? And what motherboard?

Thanks.

Xplode
06-04-04, 01:30 AM
Its an Intel i845E made by MSI and model is MS-6507E. I dont really know what kind of PSU I have. Anyway I can check?

Xplode

Xplode
06-04-04, 01:47 AM
I should also mention that this happen the first time I turned on my card after installing the 5900xt. After that I just unplugged from wall and it worked fine until I shuted down. So it seems everytime I shut down it freezes at start up with the fan of the card hella loud. also this doesnt happen when I restart... I reinstalled drivers but nothing worked. The card works just fine without any problems once I'm in windows. Since my 1 of my Cd-roms wasnt working I took of the power connecter and put in on the card.

Xplode

zer0xp
06-04-04, 02:58 AM
Did you remove the drivers, and all traces of the drivers, before installing the new card?? I think failure to do this could cause lockups in some systems. Can you boot the computer in safe mode? If so, boot the computer in "Safe Mode With Networking", download a driver cleaning program, run it. Restart the machine, install drivers and tadahh.. I think that will work. Give it a shot and report back.

Edit--
Now that i've read your posts a few times over, i think that your PC isnt even getting to the loading windows screen? If so, then dont bother doing what i said, it seems as if you have a more serious problem. Did you try updating the bios on your motherboard? Checking the settings in teh bios?

jimmor
06-04-04, 05:09 AM
your PSU could definately be the problem, as a FX5900 card puts quite a large extra load onto it !

Also the power mollex connection to the rear of card must be a single direct lead from PSU and not shared by any dynamic loads like HDD/CDROM/DVD drives !

EDIT:

have you tried your card in another computer, just in case it is just faulty ?

Xplode
06-04-04, 02:37 PM
I dont know what kind of a PSU I have an I dont know how to find out:(. But why is it when I unplug and plug the comp then it starts without a problem. and when it does start I can play everything and even overclock the card. Again I took the power connecter off my CD-ROM and extended it with the cable they provided. Would it help if I took off the power connecter off my floppy? cause I dont even use it. I dont think this has anything to do with BIOS cause like I said it works just fine when it loads into windows.

Thanks everyone for there reply!

Xplode

ragejg
06-04-04, 02:41 PM
take your PSU out and figure out what kind it is, and list the rail strength chart on your next post... if you're gonna be OC'ing anything, it's paramount to know your PSU's strength.

:)

Xplode
06-04-04, 02:44 PM
can find out without taking the PSU out? I think it might be the PSU but the part where it starts normal is kinda strange.

Xplode
06-04-04, 04:20 PM
Well if its the PSU problem then I have a choice of going with a 9800 pro for my card. I hope someone helps me fix this tho, I wanna end up OCing my card alot.

Xplode

Xplode
06-04-04, 07:28 PM
err anyone?

Edit: also on it looks like my PSU is 170-240v, thats what it said on it.

ChrisRay
06-04-04, 09:16 PM
Definately need to replace your PSU, it is way under powered.

Suggest going to Comp USA or a nearby PC store and getting 400Watt PSU, Y

Xplode
06-05-04, 12:47 AM
Thanks alot for response Chris, I found out that my PSU was 200Watt, I am gonna send the card back and get my new rig ASAP. I just cant find 6800U anywhere for 499...

hamiko
06-05-04, 05:44 PM
umm, hey there ^_^; do you know if there is any tool I can download that lets me see what my powersupply is? if not I will open my tower but what exactly will I be looking for? kay thanks

monly
06-05-04, 05:46 PM
umm, hey there ^_^; do you know if there is any tool I can download that lets me see what my powersupply is? if not I will open my tower but what exactly will I be looking for? kay thanks

there will be a label on the side of the psu, it will tell you the wattage of the psu along with the voltage of the different rails i.e 12v rail and 3.3v rail.