PDA

View Full Version : How will a game with pure shading and no texturing look like?

pat777
06-04-04, 01:40 AM
I'm interested in how such a game will look because 6800U would have 32 shader units in use all the time.

XanderF
06-04-04, 03:12 AM
Download (or check out) any of the nv40 tech demos. AFAIK, they are all 'pure shading and no texturing'. I know Nalu for sure is (the mermaid splashed all over the page at the moment), not sure so about the rest of them - but PRETTY confident.

Nutty
06-04-04, 04:04 PM
I'm pretty sure all NV's demos use textures. Again there is this myth that shaders are replacing textures. It is not true. Future games will use more textures not less. Why do you think NV40 has support for 2 more sets of texture coordinates than NV30. 10 over 8, and both can sample 16 textures per pass.

You can also use textures to store complicated mathematical results, they're just arrays of data.

pat777
06-04-04, 04:42 PM
I'm pretty sure all NV's demos use textures. Again there is this myth that shaders are replacing textures. It is not true. Future games will use more textures not less. Why do you think NV40 has support for 2 more sets of texture coordinates than NV30. 10 over 8, and both can sample 16 textures per pass.

You can also use textures to store complicated mathematical results, they're just arrays of data.

Perhaps the increase of shaders is slowing down the increase of texturing.

Nutty
06-04-04, 05:48 PM
Not sure what you mean by that. Shaders use textures as their inputs.

Edge
06-04-04, 11:57 PM
Well, pure texturing will never be extinct. There will always be situations where it's much easier and more practical to simply put a texture on something rather than come up with some kind of complex shader algorithm that has almost the same effect but is much less efficient. And remember that textures are still needed for things like displacement mapping and normal mapping: those effects still need to be carved out of textures. Shaders just allows them to take textures "to the next step" with more complex effect. But I imaging that a game that just uses flat shaded polygons but with heavy shaders would look like...I donno...and early PS2 game with wierd looking surfaces?

Pafet
06-05-04, 04:13 AM
That would look loke Mario64 :D

Morrow
06-05-04, 08:54 AM
This is how a game purely based on shaders does look like:

.kkrieger (http://www.theprodukkt.com/kkrieger.html)

If correctly done a game with no real stored textures does look just as good (if not better) than a game completely based on pre-made textures.

breez
06-05-04, 09:19 AM
No stored textures, but procedurally generated textures. And the textures aren't generated by video card GPU, they are generated by CPU (and then stored to memory, after that it's the same as any other 3d application with some shaders).

Morrow
06-05-04, 09:27 AM
jup, but procedural textures are the same thing as shader generated textures in that they are not real stored textures. That is what the guy who started this thread wanted to know.

GlowStick
06-05-04, 10:14 AM
jup, but procedural textures are the same thing as shader generated textures in that they are not real stored textures. That is what the guy who started this thread wanted to know.
Um, actually in that case, i belive its just a REALLY clever way to compress the texture down alot.

Nutty
06-05-04, 10:19 AM
Except that no game would re-generate texturing on the fly every frame in a shader, wastes far too much power, when you could just pre generate the textures.

Either get an artist to make them, or proceduarally generate them on the cpu. They're still passed to the gpu in the same way.

CaptNKILL
06-06-04, 11:32 PM
Um, actually in that case, i belive its just a REALLY clever way to compress the texture down alot.
Until they hit the RAM.... that kkrieger game uses like a gig of memory i think. I know it used all my ram up, i remember playing it. It also takes a long time to load when it has to generate all of the data on the fly.

So theres no real good reason to do this kind of thing. All it does is conserve hard drive space and waste all of your other resources. But it is very cool to play that kind of game knowing you only download 64K :D

Edge
06-07-04, 01:31 AM
So theres no real good reason to do this kind of thing. All it does is conserve hard drive space and waste all of your other resources. But it is very cool to play that kind of game knowing you only download 64K :D

Hey, 56ker here :(

GlowStick
06-07-04, 04:56 PM
Hey, 56ker here :(
Uhaul.com ; D