PDA

View Full Version : No HDTV in 6800?

tutu
06-04-04, 05:12 PM
According to this post from http://www.bit-tech.net/

2) If you’re counting on HDTV working on your spanky new 6800, you’re out of luck: it has been confirmed this morning by Derek Perez of NVIDIA that the both the core and the existing reference board have no capacity to support an HDTV signal – though it is planned for the future NV43 & NV41 cores

That sucks as I was planning on buying a new TV with HDTV capabilities. Have any previous nVidia cards supported it? what about ATI?

retsam
06-04-04, 05:14 PM
yep ati has an all in wonder with hdtv.... this was the one feature in the 6800 that really stood out for me ... now i have a really hard decision to make

spanker
06-04-04, 06:32 PM
what about ATI?

you can get an hdtv adapter for $29, supports allmost all cards from the 8500 and up

AthlonXP1800
06-04-04, 06:51 PM
Strange, I have LCDTV, I recently posted my problem to Nvidia driver team and they replied my response. They said 6800 does support HDTV, they will add HDTV support and custom resolutions in future drivers.

DivotMaker
06-04-04, 06:56 PM
They said 6800 does support HDTV, they will add HDTV support and custom resolutions in future drivers.

Well, then someone is NOT telling the truth, eh? :rolleyes2

AthlonXP1800
06-04-04, 07:44 PM
Well, then someone is NOT telling the truth, eh? :rolleyes2

Yeah I went on to investigated and searched on Yahoo. It found that http://www.bit-tech.net/ are not telling the truth.

6800 DOES support HDTV as it mentioned on 6800 technical specification (http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20040406661996.html) at Nvidia website:

HDTV-ready

AthlonXP1800
06-04-04, 09:22 PM
Leadtek got the latest driver here ftp://203.66.138.20/graphics/6121/

I was surprised what I found in the driver? It added custom resolutions and HDTV support, Nvidia driver team was promised months ago. After all http://www.bit-tech.net/ is not telling the truth!

Bad_Boy
06-04-04, 09:41 PM
somebody needs to go tell bit-tech the news :)

ronjon228
06-05-04, 01:52 AM
I use my DVI out on my FX 5900. I have it hooked up to a 65" HDTV Monitor via a DVI-D cable and it works just fine. I use powerstrip to set my resolution to 1120x630 progressive. This compensates very well for overscan and looks great as well. I've even got my games set up for widescreen resolutions. So if thats what you guys are talking about, it's been possible for quite some time. You just have to use powerstrip to set the resolutions because Nvidia doesn't show them via the display control panel.

AthlonXP1800
06-05-04, 02:26 AM
I use my DVI out on my FX 5900. I have it hooked up to a 65" HDTV Monitor via a DVI-D cable and it works just fine. I use powerstrip to set my resolution to 1120x630 progressive. This compensates very well for overscan and looks great as well. I've even got my games set up for widescreen resolutions. So if thats what you guys are talking about, it's been possible for quite some time. You just have to use powerstrip to set the resolutions because Nvidia doesn't show them via the display control panel.

How did you managed to set the resolutions with powerstrip? Everytime I choose custom resolutions, it asked to restart PC and then test the resolution with the monitor driver and then nothing turned up. Powerstrip guides are useless. I may have a try with Nvidia's custom resolutions some day when I have time.

DSC
06-05-04, 03:14 AM
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=409410

this is no different than the FX series of cards. they require an external component video encoder to get HD component signals out of them. if no card manufacturer decides to add a component encoder, then the HD capability goes to waste. Bit-Tech is creating news out of nothing.

of course, none of this stops anyone from running VGA/DVI or using a component transcoder to get there HTPC on their HDTV.

what is interesting is that they seem to be planning on adding an on-chip component encoder to the NV41 and NV43 cores (the lower end 6x00s). this is like when they moved the s-video encoder on-chip for the GF4MX series, and then brought it to the entire line-up for the FX series.

the Xx00 series HD outpput abilities are exactly the same as the 9x00 series. the 6x00 series HD output abilities are exactly the same as the FX5x00 series. nothing has changed. it's not like they took out the ability to set a res of 1280x720 or anything.

The review clearly didnt ask the right questions to get the right answers. DOH!! No HDTV probably means no integrated HDTV tuner solution or no ATSC output.... Ive spoken to reps at NVidia and the 6800 has many creature features specifically for HTPC applications. It started in on the 5700, got better with the 5900 and is even better with the 6800. From what it sounds like the 6800GT will be my target purchase. Mid priced w/o the pricy high end 3d performance and all the cool HT features we all need.

I am not realy sure what all this means. I can play any kind of HDTV file (MPEG2, WM9, even stray codecs with appropriate software decoder) with my Quadro FX 1100 right now either through VGA or DVI. I also have support for all output HDTV formats you can think off, including professional 1080p 24 fps that very few scalers can do right now (Teranex will do it for heafty 50K).

tutu
06-05-04, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the info. So how exactly do we go about getting HDTV support via component out? Some sort of adapter? nVidia/or ATI?

I would really like to know as I am about to splash out on £1000+

Unfortunately in the UK most TVs use component and not DVI/HDMI

Ruined
06-05-04, 01:04 PM
Most cards only have DVI or VGA HDTV out, because most people who use PC for HDTV also use a front projector, which has DVI or VGA in. Most of the new RPTV HD sets are also adding DVI ports these days, too, as you need DVI for HDCP protected content.

If you want to get component video, simply do a google search for component transcoder.

AthlonXP1800
06-05-04, 08:19 PM
Unfortunately in the UK most TVs use component and not DVI/HDMI

My Thomson LCDTV have DVI port and HDMI sinced it launched Nov 2003, I noticed that many new TVs has DVI now, a year ago TVs like Philips did not have DVI.