PDA

View Full Version : nVidia - The way it's meant to be delayed!

Pages : [1] 2

jcossin
06-04-04, 08:28 PM
What the heck? Are these things ever gonna show up?

I'm tired of nVidia and their paper launches. Why don't they shut up until they have enough cards ready to ship out. I think their strategy this time was to wait to see how many preorders they could get before deciding to proceed with manufacturing the card. Maybe if they have another dud on their hands they'll just hold off completely and wait for the nv50 or something...

Riptide
06-04-04, 08:39 PM
I'm sure you aren't alone in your sentiments. Noone likes long waits/paper launches. At least ATI managed to get the Pro out reasonably soon (albeit limited amounts ofcourse).

ChrisRay
06-04-04, 09:01 PM
Well there are a few 6800s trickling out. Definately not at the rate would like to see them...

grimreefer
06-04-04, 09:06 PM
ummm, i think theres a typo in the title of this thread

emailthatguy
06-04-04, 10:01 PM
ok this thread topic is too funny lol

combat_wombat
06-04-04, 10:12 PM
paper launches are the worse. EVGA has a whopping 5 CARDS to sell of their Extreme version, LOL

evilchris
06-04-04, 10:27 PM

I'm tired of nVidia and their paper launches. Why don't they shut up until they have enough cards ready to ship out. I think their strategy this time was to wait to see how many preorders they could get before deciding to proceed with manufacturing the card. Maybe if they have another dud on their hands they'll just hold off completely and wait for the nv50 or something...

NVIDIA doesn't manufacter the card, the card manufacturers do.

freak77power
06-05-04, 01:26 AM
Afterall I was right.
We are going to see spec of NV45 and the pictures before NV40 even hits the stores :)

I got bann for this statement, but hell The Greatest People who fought for freedom of speech were prisoners as well...

:retard:

Kamel
06-05-04, 01:29 AM
Afterall I was right.
We are going to see spec of NV45 and the pictures before NV40 even hits the stores :)

I got bann for this statement, but hell The Greatest People who fought for freedom of speech were prisoners as well...

i really don't see why you would get banned for saying this

poursoul
06-05-04, 01:40 AM
Afterall I was right.

go away.

marqmajere
06-05-04, 04:07 AM

So you created an account to complain? :lame:

lowdog
06-05-04, 08:43 AM
And now they are saying the NV48 with a faster core speed will be available in August, this just sucks!

Hardly any NV40's out yet and they are already pushing to get the NV48 out. Seems like an NV30xx fiascoe all over again.

The consumer looses out with this sort of "push for the speed crown" mentality on the part of the card manafactures.

Wish they would go back to yearly cycle of releasing cards.

saturnotaku
06-05-04, 09:41 AM

Ain't no freedom of speech here, bucko. This is a private board, you break the rules, you're gonna get the big ugly axe. Posting here is a privilege, not a right. :nono:

vampireuk
06-05-04, 10:26 AM
Ain't no freedom of speech here, bucko. This is a private board, you break the rules, you're gonna get the big ugly axe. Posting here is a privilege, not a right. :nono:

Well said, and he was banned before? Oh eck, allow me to do my 5 seconds of research and open the mod panel.

Well look at that, his IP matches that of 3 previously banned members, make that 4 now.

Edit: now as for the card we all know the 6800 is far from a "dud"

pjstp20
06-05-04, 10:36 AM
And now they are saying the NV48 with a faster core speed will be available in August, this just sucks!

Hardly any NV40's out yet and they are already pushing to get the NV48 out.

What are your sources on this?

anzak
06-05-04, 11:39 AM

Hardly any NV40's out yet and they are already pushing to get the NV48 out. Seems like an NV30xx fiascoe all over again.

nVidia has said nothing about the NV48 yet so quit spreading FUD with false info.

Drumphil
06-06-04, 09:12 AM
from anandtech computex coverage.. take with as little or much salt as you like, but here it is.

The underground buzz we heard is that the 6800 GT parts wouldn't be that scarce in the near future, but that channel allocation of the 6800 Ultra parts was somewhere between 50 on the low end to 100 on the high end. Not that such small numbers really need perspective, but when we heard that allocation was low, we expected to hear that it was only a couple thousand. This begs the following question: NVIDIA launched the 6800 Ultra in May, and if less than a hundred cards are in the channel today with mass production coming in July, are we talking about a paper launch? To be fair to NVIDIA, although ATI's supply of X800 XT Platinum Edition parts isn't that low, it's still nothing to write home about.

Caliche
06-06-04, 09:26 AM
It seems the situation with the 6800 is just getting worse by the day. Everyday someone is saying how there was a lower yield which means less production cards for the market, which really translates into a failure on the Nvidia's part if this is true.

Caliche

jcossin
06-06-04, 11:57 AM
The fact that eVGA only had 5 cards to raffle off on Friday certainly doesn't speak well of the Extreme yields. I think for the Ultra yields, it's yet to be seen. Keeping in mind that this is a brand new architecture, we may need to see another minor chip revision or two before the yields are high enough to crank cards out in mass numbers.

SO, what I'm wondering is are we doomed to see prices greater than $499 for the Ultra for the next month or two? If so, and the x800xt PE shows up in more vendors than just Gateway for $435, then I'd say there will HAVE to be more sales of ATI than nVidia on the high end this time around.

Given that MANY people on this forum seem to be wanting the GT though, I'd guess we'll see a lot of those cards cranked out and sold. Probably more so than the ATI X800Pro since a lot of people are shying away from the Pro with its crippled 12 pipeline design...

BTW - To be fair, someone posted a topic of "The Way It's Meant To Be Delayed" when the nv30 came out. I just brought it back to life since it looks like we are seeing another repeat with the nv40...

anzak
06-06-04, 12:38 PM
Hmm, SM3.0 might be coming back to bite nvidia. 222 million transistors on the .13u process might be overkill. This would explain the crappy yields.

evilchris
06-06-04, 01:27 PM
The fact that eVGA only had 5 cards to raffle off on Friday certainly doesn't speak well of the Extreme yields. I think for the Ultra yields, it's yet to be seen.

NVIDIA does not have an EE part. The fastest part they produce is the Ultra. EVGA speed bins the Ultra's it gets and overclocks the best ones, making them EEs.

Skynet
06-06-04, 03:19 PM
This is a sad reflection on nVidia, AGAIN. I honestly thought the NV30 fiasco was something we could all forget about. But nVidia pulls another paper launch. When the first reviews of the 6800U hit, I had a feeling that the card would not ship in real numbers for months. What good is a SM3.0 card if it is nearly impossible to produce?

The way I see it, nVidia needs to be shipping the card for real by the end of June, and I mean for real as in no supply problems, zero.

DivotMaker
06-06-04, 03:24 PM
In one more week, it will be TWO MONTHS since nV "launched" the NV40. All they have done is get the hardware community excited, now frustrated and angry because no one can buy one of these cards....this is horrible business strategy, IMHO...

mario64
06-06-04, 04:54 PM
In one more week, it will be TWO MONTHS since nV "launched" the NV40. All they have done is get the hardware community excited, now frustrated and angry because no one can buy one of these cards....this is horrible business strategy, IMHO...
You said it BBEA! They should start using the term "announcement" instead of launch. At least it would be accurate. I have to admit, there's a part of me that says I should stay with ATI this round just to keep from supporting nVidia's poor business practices. As long as we keep supporting them they'll continue with these kinds of product "launches"...

Mario64

Riptide
06-06-04, 04:58 PM
I think both companies need to stop pulling this crap. Even though ATI has shipped limited quantities of the Pro, it still irritates me that we can't find an XT in stock unless it's onesy twosy type stuff @ places like allstarshop where they're going to gouge you $600 for it. :(

And ATI did their "launch" before Nvidia.