PDA

View Full Version : nv40 for G5?

AngelGraves13
06-05-04, 08:38 PM
Anyone know if we'll see the nv40 for the G5? I replaced my PC with a Dual 2.0 Ghz G5 and put in my 2 WD Raptors in a 70 GB RAID, but the video card is an ATi 9600 64 MB :(

TheTaz
06-05-04, 09:05 PM
LOL. WTH you need an NV40 for? There ain't no games for a crappintosh! :screwy: :udawg:

My Favorite Switch Parody (http://www.thehoucks.com/happynowhere/Apple_Switch_Parody_DivX.avi)

Sorry... couldn't resist. :D

Taz

AngelGraves13
06-05-04, 09:35 PM
LOL. WTH you need an NV40 for? There ain't no games for a crappintosh! :screwy: :udawg:

My Favorite Switch Parody (http://www.thehoucks.com/happynowhere/Apple_Switch_Parody_DivX.avi)

Sorry... couldn't resist. :D

Taz

I didn't ask for someone :lame: to answer this. Keep your comments to yourself. The point of the topic is if there will be an nv40 for the mac. There is already UT2k4 and Doom 3 shouldn't be hard to port, since its made on Linux, which is about the same as a mac. Oh yeah...my processor is better than yours and I've got 2 of them!

Jarred
06-05-04, 09:50 PM
I didn't ask for someone :lame: to answer this. Keep your comments to yourself. The point of the topic is if there will be an nv40 for the mac. There is already UT2k4 and Doom 3 shouldn't be hard to port, since its made on Linux, which is about the same as a mac. Oh yeah...my processor is better than yours and I've got 2 of them!

alright lets not get into an INTEL/amd / MAC pissing match.

theres more than jsut games that take advantage of a GPU as well, soo, maybe MAC users use things like Lightwave? Maya? etc?

would be helpful to have a beefier card.

EDIT: and is response to your question... I don't know. :P

AngelGraves13
06-05-04, 09:54 PM
alright lets not get into an INTEL/amd / MAC pissing match.

theres more than jsut games that take advantage of a GPU as well, soo, maybe MAC users use things like Lightwave? Maya? etc?

would be helpful to have a beefier card.

EDIT: and is response to your question... I don't know. :P

Thanks for at least understanding why I need a videocard with more than 64 MB of mem.

TheTaz
06-05-04, 09:55 PM

Well... initially I was just kidding around... but now that you have made it personal... Your fricken "better proccessors" don't mean squat, if they don't run ANYTHING. :retard:

I have an old Dual P-III 800 system laying around with a Geforce 2 GTS in it... guess what? It still runs more games than your superior processored rig. owned:

Taz

Jarred
06-05-04, 09:55 PM
Thanks for at least understanding why I need a videocard with more than 64 MB of mem.

don't they usually come out a few months after pc?

really the only diff between them I hear is the ram bios settings,...

there were rumors a while back that you could buy a normal pc GPU throw it in a mac, flash the bios and Wallah!

but... this was a while back...

EDIT: and ignore Taz... :P

GlowStick
06-05-04, 10:42 PM
Well, i may be wrong, but at launch i DO rember them saying they will have a mac version out. and as someone elese already said, its exact same hardware but diffrent bios settings.

I am pritty sure if you want to find a date it will have to come from Apple because they pritty much control it.

Clay
06-05-04, 11:12 PM
Easy guys, we don't want a Mac vs. PC war to break out. :afro:

AngelGraves13
06-07-04, 02:39 PM
Taz is only kidding around, as am I. The PC will always have more games because 90 percent of all computer users who play games use PCs. Its that simple! The only games I want on my mac are Tron 2.0, Doom3, and Half-Life2. I still have Tron 2.0 for my PC, but no PC to run it on anymore....so I gotta buy myself the mac version. Doom3 should be out on Windows, Mac, and Linux soon considering it is made on Linux (John Carmack does everything on Linux then ports it over). I ran Unreal Tournament 2004 and it didn't run bad with my crappy video card.

kahloq
06-07-04, 03:04 PM
This is what was listed for PNY's verto 6800 ultra for required OS

System Requirements

Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition, Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 2000, Linux, Apple MacOS X

Notice the Apple MacOS X

http://www2.shopping.com/xPF-PNY_Verto_GeForce_6800_Ultra

TheTaz
06-07-04, 03:39 PM
Taz is only kidding around, as am I. The PC will always have more games because 90 percent of all computer users who play games use PCs. Its that simple! The only games I want on my mac are Tron 2.0, Doom3, and Half-Life2. I still have Tron 2.0 for my PC, but no PC to run it on anymore....so I gotta buy myself the mac version. Doom3 should be out on Windows, Mac, and Linux soon considering it is made on Linux (John Carmack does everything on Linux then ports it over). I ran Unreal Tournament 2004 and it didn't run bad with my crappy video card.

Aye.

I just wanted a chance to link that particular switch parody. :D

I have to admit... I really was interested in that music composing / mixing program that Steve Jobs showed off about a month or two ago. That looked really sweet. :)

Unfortunately, As Apple comes out with some of the more intriguing innovations... the PC seems to get "a copy" sooner or later. ;)

As for 3D stuff... I only use 3DS Max. I used to use Lightwave before that, but compatibility with different modding projects forced me to switch. I don't care much for Softimage or Maya. Guess I'm too used to the Max interface, now.

Since I only "tinker" with stuff like that... I have no need for a dual Zeon or Opteron.

Anywho... glad kahloq found that PNY info for yas. :)

Regards,

Taz

Templar
06-07-04, 04:26 PM
Just get together with some Macworshippers and pray. Perhaps God Jobs will have mercy on you :kill:

Simon

AngelGraves13
06-08-04, 02:15 AM
haha my dad and his friend liked my mac so much they got one....

Shamrock
06-08-04, 02:17 AM
Apple is a BIG supporter of NVidia, so yes, the NV40 is compatible

vläd
06-08-04, 07:46 AM
Now, if someone would just develop drivers for this new nVidia card I would be in heaven! As soon as the nv40 was announced, I noticed the compatability listing. It's been discussed here. (http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/000653.html)

SuLinUX
06-08-04, 08:38 AM
Well... initially I was just kidding around... but now that you have made it personal... Your fricken "better proccessors" don't mean squat, if they don't run ANYTHING. :retard:

I have an old Dual P-III 800 system laying around with a Geforce 2 GTS in it... guess what? It still runs more games than your superior processored rig. owned:

Taz

There are lots of top games on the Mac so get your facts right troll.

TheTaz
06-08-04, 12:17 PM

1. I suggest you read the rest of the posts. :retard:
2. "LOTS" maybe by your perception... not mine. (I'm also talking native, not emulated)
3. Don't even get me started on Linux! :p (crazy)

Taz

AngelGraves13
06-08-04, 02:17 PM

Guess he didn't see we were only kidding around. Oh well.

Clay
06-08-04, 02:48 PM
I saw that you guys were just having fun. It's easy to take the wrong way you've got to admit though. :)

ricercar
06-09-04, 03:26 PM
There were rumors of the NV30 on the Macintosh inside NVIDIA, but obviously they never came true. Haven't heard anything internally on the NV4x line though. It's exclusively Apple's decision, since Apple and ATI are pretty much the only high-end card manufacturers available for Macintosh, and ATI ain't likely to put a GeForce GPU on their cards...
:fanboy:
(Matrox and VillageTronic can't be considered high end--they have never made AGP cards for Macintosh.)

BTW GeForce2 and GeForce3 allowed a BIOS flash between x86 and Macintosh platforms. However, starting with GeForce4 there's a hardware strap in addition to the endian BIOS difference, so a simple BIOS flash won't work after GF3.

matthewryanc
06-09-04, 03:28 PM
Easy guys, we don't want a Mac vs. PC war to break out. :afro:
Yes, that war was won years ago. I don't care what you say, just look at marketshare. The PC is just plain better. Especially when it comes to laptops. Can't wait for the G5 laptops to arrive, my oven range is about to go out and I need to make some eggs.

saturnotaku
06-09-04, 03:34 PM
Yes, that war was won years ago. I don't care what you say, just look at marketshare. The PC is just plain better. Especially when it comes to laptops. Can't wait for the G5 laptops to arrive, my oven range is about to go out and I need to make some eggs.

Are you blind, did you not read what MaxPower said, are you stupid or a combination of all three? Sheesh.