PDA

View Full Version : refresh rate question

dynasty
06-06-04, 09:04 PM
I was wandering if there are any programs like ragetweak for the 5900se that lets me change the refresh rates at different resolutions? I'm wanting to up the refresh rate in my games. I have already used riva tuner but can't seem to get the refresh rates working, so anything else out there? Thanks

saturnotaku
06-06-04, 09:18 PM
You can use the refresh rate override that's built into the NVIDIA control panel on recent drivers or you can download Refresh Force, which should be available at majorgeeks.com

dynasty
06-06-04, 10:19 PM
how do i change the refresh rates? i can't figure it out, thanks

dynasty
06-06-04, 10:51 PM
I got it working, just one quick question. If I set the refresh rate in windows to say like 85 and in that nvidia refresh rate set it to 75 for the same resolution (1024 x 768) will it only affect the refresh rates for games, or will it also change windows to 75? Thanks

saturnotaku
06-06-04, 11:05 PM
I use Refresh Force to establish one refresh rate across all my resolutions. Whatever I set it at is what my games and desktop are.

dynasty
06-06-04, 11:07 PM
I used the one that is with the nvidia drivers, that ok? Will the nvidia drivers set that refresh rate to both games and desktop no matter what i have under my monitor settings?

saturnotaku
06-06-04, 11:09 PM
In Windows 2000/XP, the monitor settings tab means jack squat. Whatever refresh rates you set via the control panel or Refresh Force will stick across all applications, from games to desktop work.

jimmor
06-07-04, 09:18 AM
how do i change the refresh rates? i can't figure it out, thanks

you must use something like RefreshForce to make sure refresh rates, for a given resolution, are compatible with your monitor !

you must not set refresh rates to any value, whether for games or otherwise that are not compatible with your graphics card and, more importantly, your monitor ! Which is also why you must always install your monitor using its own driver and not the OS's "default" or "plug and play" drivers ! any windows OS drivers are simply there to allow a minimum capability of booting and running a desktop !

dynasty
06-07-04, 12:18 PM
drivers for a monitor? And I used the nvidia refresh rate thing. I just set my rate 85hz on 1024 x 768. I'm pretty sure that is alirhgt with my monitor.

dynasty
06-07-04, 01:02 PM
jimmor: i downloaded my monitor drivers, but I can't tell a difference. I don't see any extra menus in the monitor tab after installing the drivers. Whats the big deal about the drivers?

saturnotaku
06-07-04, 01:09 PM
Whats the big deal about the drivers?

They provide exactly the resolutions and refresh rates that the monitor supports so you can't set anything that the monitor will not agree with. It's a guide for Windows, nothing more.

jimmor
06-07-04, 02:29 PM
jimmor: i downloaded my monitor drivers, but I can't tell a difference. I don't see any extra menus in the monitor tab after installing the drivers. Whats the big deal about the drivers?

your OS hasn't a clue what your monitor is capable of ! Its only by installing the monitor manufacturer's driver that ensures neither your card or OS will ever feed your monitor with data outside its spec ! And the OS "default" and "plug and play" drivers also no nothing about your monitor, so don't use them !!

dynasty
06-07-04, 03:33 PM
well i'v been using the default windows drivers for the past couple years, didn't know about the monitor drivers. did that hurt my computer?

jimmor
06-07-04, 04:13 PM
well i'v been using the default windows drivers for the past couple years, didn't know about the monitor drivers. did that hurt my computer?

unlikely to hurt anything, however it could cause bad and/or flickering displays during gaming or other intensive graphics work ! And just occasionally might lock up your monitor, ie give blank black display !!

Nutty
06-07-04, 04:43 PM
Maybe I was being lame, but I found that unless I installed my NV drivers _AFTER_ the monitor drivers, refresh rate overriding in the driver panel did squat. Only way I could get it to work was this;

1) Install monitor drivers.
2) Install NV drivers.
3) Setup Refresh rates.

Worked fine then.

dynasty
06-07-04, 04:46 PM
well i installed nv drivers, setup the refresh rates, and then installed the monitor drivers. when i go into my monitor setup during a game it says 85hz on my monitor. so there enabled i believe