PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Ideas...

morkus64
06-07-04, 05:25 AM
Ok guys, time to put on your thinking caps...

I have a friend whose daughter will be going off to college in a couple months and needs a laptop. I need reccomendations for him on a laptop for basic sorts of stuff - email, word processing, homework, etc... but also decent for listening to music, watching movies, etc... and not too slowly either....

I think battery life would be a big plus for her, as would good support cause frankly, when it comes to computers, they wouldn't know a motherboard if it tucked them into bed at night and gave them little binary kisses.

He's looking to spend 1500 or less...

Oh, and i think she's got her heart set on something or other that's around 2000, so it'll prolly need to look pretty to win her over...

any ideas?

Gator
06-07-04, 07:30 AM
Athlon64 is the only way to go. It's fast, runs cool, and uses low power!

this HP looks pretty damn nice, as long as she isn't a 3d gamer. The laptop is perfect except for the GF4MX graphics :(
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_store/computer_series_detail.do?tab_switch=true&catLevel=2&series_name=zv5000z_seriesnull&tab=specs

Here's a nice one with Athlon64 & R9600 128DDR. This would be the best of both worlds, but the HP is certainly much more affordable. Only buy one of there laptops if she wants 3d gaming
http://www.xtremenotebooks.com/index.php?section=catagory&include_type=15_inch

Sazar
06-07-04, 09:23 AM
need other info such as weight and what not...

my sister-in-law got a little toshiba sattelite from one of the big chain electronics retaillers for around 690 after rebates... 2.8 gig celery (she doesn't play games on it... she's a doctor), 256mb ram, 40 gig hdd, dvd/cd+rw, paid about 40-50 bucks extra for integrated G wireless or something... and 15.1 display...

avartec has a nice little laptop which is an athlon 2000+ XP-M and has pretty much the same features as above plus total of 512 mb ram.. it has a smaller screen @ 12.1 inches but its only a little over 4lb's heavy :thumbsup:

we're looking @ getting my gf that one right now... since again she doesn't play games (though on her old toshiba satellite I can play ut2k3 pretty decent)

if budget doesn't matter there is a fully loaded compaq athlon64 3000+ system I saw in circuitcity which was around $1200-1300 with all things included and a semi-decent video card as well... but it was over 8lbs... :eek:

if she's going to be lugging it round like my gf does than you really need a lighter laptop

jnd3
06-07-04, 10:57 AM
I'm sure I'll get mocked ... but have you considered an Apple iBook? The 12.1" is light as a feather, 4+ hours of battery life, looks snazzy, and has all the basics (my wife uses it to sync up her iPod mini, hop on the wireless network, do some documents, etc.). I can even play UT2k4 on ours (and it's 200MHz slower than the current crop). And to top it off Apple has decent student discount!

morkus64
06-07-04, 11:16 AM
well, so far as weight, just nothing too heavy... she's not a gamer...

Something simple. Not a mac. :rolleyes:

I prefer an Intel Pentium M... I was telling my friend that maybe he should wait till towards the end of summer... more Dothan options then...

zoomy942
06-07-04, 01:24 PM
i agree about the pentium m. i am all about battery life and that thigns lasts forever.

Sazar
06-07-04, 01:37 PM
so should an athlon-64 with c 'n' q enabled...

running @ 800mhz you are not likely to burn through your battery life... or an athlon xp-m :)

however I do have a soft-spot for centrino-tech based laptops :D

saturnotaku
06-07-04, 01:41 PM
You know who makes good laptops? eMachines surprisingly enough. They have some really solid A64 models with nice graphics cards at good prices. Check 'em out. :)

Sazar
06-07-04, 01:42 PM
emachines was bought out by HP... of course their QC has gone up :)

saturnotaku
06-07-04, 01:48 PM
emachines was bought out by HP... of course their QC has gone up :)

I thought they were bought out by Gateway? :confused:

Sazar
06-07-04, 02:00 PM
bleh... it could be gateway... they all suck anyways

/me jots this down as another senile moment...

Son Goku
06-07-04, 03:37 PM
bleh... it could be gateway... they all suck anyways

/me jots this down as another senile moment...

:eek: Unless you really dislike someone, don't recomend a Gateway :D My experience with those things...

[rant mode]We got them things down in the networking lab. After about 6 months, many of the keyboards would go bad with stickey keys, keys that one has to punch down on real hard to get it to type something, etc.

As you (and anyone who's dealt with Cisco, servers, or any kind of networking equipment is aware), keyboards that don't work when configuring routers and the like is a pain, mousie no good there :D I have gone in the back before, grabed a 20+ year old IBM keyboard from the 8088 days, and that thing still works after all this time better then those relatively new Gateway keyboards...

A roomate of mine also had a Gateway...and well lets just say that my CDs didn't come back the same when got done borrowing them. I told him if it's under replacement, he should call up Gateway and tell them to give him a new CD drive. Until then...I'd rather he not borrow my game CDs. ;)

It took them about 4 months to ship him his replacement CD drive. A few weeks after it arrived, I got another badly scratched CD back... OK, that's that. I had an extra drive and my old SCSI card (my drives are SCSI), so I let him use that for the time being. It beats my CDs getting ruined in them drives they sent him...[/rant mode]

jnd3
06-07-04, 04:40 PM
Something simple. Not a mac. :rolleyes:

What could be more simple than a Mac? :p ;)

Seriously, though, for the needs it would be ideal. We've got our iBook hooked into our WiFi (Windows) network without a problem ... prints to the USB printer attached to the main PC over WiFi ... shares iTunes libraries with the Windows PC over WiFi ... can get to shared drives, etc. over WiFi. And let's face it, chicks dig Macs (my wife can't get enough of the iBook). :D

Ahem. But enough Mac propaganda. Regardless, try for something with built-in WiFi ... good stuff, that!