PDA

View Full Version : 6800 ultra available at compusa

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

maxxshwagg
06-07-04, 08:47 AM
available for delivery only...

ordered one an hour ago, just got confirmation......

499.95+.01 shipping.

maxx

revbatboy
06-07-04, 09:02 AM
Just ordered one. Total was $539.00 with 2 day shipping.
It said usually ships in 24-48hrs. So I do believe that they have them to ship.
WHOO-HOO Goodby ATI 9700pro. :drooling:

kahloq
06-07-04, 09:09 AM
Also just ordered one total of 533.50.

Shipping in 24-48hrs as the site states. Lets hope thats really accurate!!!

Ruined
06-07-04, 09:15 AM
must... resist... urge!! ;)

revbatboy
06-07-04, 09:17 AM
Don't fight it no one can resist the 6800U.

mario64
06-07-04, 09:18 AM
I'm in!

Does anybody know what the clock speeds are on the PNY card? As for quality, I've had a PNY GF4 Ti 4600 since release day and it's been a great card. No problems at all. In fact, my son is using it in his computer still today.

Mario64

saturnotaku
06-07-04, 09:19 AM
I'm in!

Does anybody know what the clock speeds are on the PNY card?

Same as every other 6800?

maxxshwagg
06-07-04, 09:20 AM
thought that all the ultras are clocked the "minimum" speed of 400/1100. with some companies increasing the clockspeed with custom cooling added....

maxx

Ruined
06-07-04, 09:21 AM
I'm in!

Does anybody know what the clock speeds are on the PNY card? As for quality, I've had a PNY GF4 Ti 4600 since release day and it's been a great card. No problems at all. In fact, my son is using it in his computer still today.

Mario64

400mhz core, 1.1ghz memory

kahloq
06-07-04, 09:22 AM
Description says 400mhz ramdac and 1.1ghz ddr3 Tho Im sure you can bump it up some as others have posted

Riptide
06-07-04, 09:24 AM
Anyone going to cancel their gameve order and get the PNY instead? Might save you some money, but is eVGA a better company w/better support?

kahloq
06-07-04, 09:25 AM
thought that all the ultras are clocked the "minimum" speed of 400/1100. with some companies increasing the clockspeed with custom cooling added....

maxx

Not exactly. BFG will ship theirs at 425 ramdac. But they also list shipping late june and for the water cooled version, shows shipping of 7/28 on their online partner for pre-order.

I had found a place that was selling the MSI version, but cost was 611 and still no ship date(late june)....ie chumbo.com and it was listed as 400/1100

Gainward states theirs will ship as 430 air cooled and 450+ water cooled.

saturnotaku
06-07-04, 09:25 AM
Description says 400mhz ramdac

RAMDAC (IIRC) has to do with the connection between the monitor and the graphics card and has nothing to do with clock speed.

Edit: From the June 2003 issue of Maximum PC:

RAMDAC = Random access memory digital to analog converter. The RAMDAC converts the digital signal that is output from your 3D card's frame buffer into an analog signal that your CRT monitor can understand. Your video card's maximum resolution and refresh rates are determined by RAMDAC strength.

mario64
06-07-04, 09:26 AM
Same as every other 6800?
Well, you know, eVga is clocking their regular 6800U at 425 core (? dynamic overclocking) and I think BFG is as well. I'm wondering if PNY is too.

Mario64

Evildeus
06-07-04, 09:26 AM
At last.

kahloq
06-07-04, 09:28 AM
gameve also still says BACKORDER for the BFG 6800 ultra

saturnotaku
06-07-04, 09:29 AM
gameve also still says BACKORDER for the BFG 6800 ultra

But BFG themselves are saying July for availability.

Ruined
06-07-04, 09:29 AM
Well, you know, eVga is clocking their regular 6800U at 425 core (? dynamic overclocking) and I think BFG is as well. I'm wondering if PNY is too.

Mario64

PNY is shipping reference AFAIK, 400mhz core. That being said you could probably overclock it just as much as any card that came pre-overlocked. Honestly though the difference between 400mhz and 425mhz on the same core is minimal at best.

re: ramdac, saturn is right ramdac has nothing to do with speed, it is the part of the board that converts digital to analog for display on CRT monitors. Higher the speed RAMDAC higher the analog output quality, higher refresh rates, etc. Of course if you use DVI RAMDAC makes no difference. Core speed is what makes a speed difference and is what BFG and some others are cranking up.

kahloq
06-07-04, 09:30 AM
RAMDAC (IIRC) has to do with the connection between the monitor and the graphics card and has nothing to do with clock speed.

Edit: From the June 2003 issue of Maximum PC:

RAMDAC = Random access memory digital to analog converter. The RAMDAC converts the digital signal that is output from your 3D card's frame buffer into an analog signal that your CRT monitor can understand. Your video card's maximum resolution and refresh rates are determined by RAMDAC strength.

I was just quoting from the description. Core clock speed is 400 but they list that as 400 ramdac

saturnotaku
06-07-04, 09:32 AM
I was just quoting from the description. Core clock speed is 400 but they list that as 400 ramdac

I think PNY knows the difference between RAMDAC and core speed. The latter is not listed among the specs on their site, certainly an omission but it sure isn't a typo.

maxxshwagg
06-07-04, 09:38 AM
i don't think you can go wrong with either the pny and evga. don't know if i can justify more even more money for an extra couple mhz for the gainward, asus, etc....

it would be cheaper for me to just add a waterblock to the pny card so i can clock it up to 450+.

i looked at the bfg but they water cooling spec has not option "so far" for 1/2" fittings.

PNY has a lifetime warranty....

maxx

saturnotaku
06-07-04, 09:43 AM
PNY has a lifetime warranty....

Read the fine print:

PNY Technologies, Inc. ("PNY"), manufacturer of your newly purchased PNY graphics card (the "product"), warrants the product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for the life of the product as sold to the original purchaser ("purchaser"), subject to all the terms and conditions hereunder.Lifetime Replacement Warranty is given to all PNY® Verto® Graphics Cards. This warranty is for replacement for like items only. Lifetime Replacement warranty does not cover items out of production if PNY no longer stocks them. (Lifetime is defined as the lifetime of the product on the market. Outdated technology is not covered by lifetime warranty if the item is no longer available on the common market as a new product.) This warranty is not assignable. PNY's sole obligation under this warranty is to replace or, at its option to repair, with new or remanufactured product, free of charge, with like or similar product, all the product's defective parts.

BFG offers a true lifetime warranty - if your card fails with them and they don't make it any more, they will replace it with comparable current technology. With PNY, you'd be SOL. This is why I would never purchase a PNY card.

kahloq
06-07-04, 09:47 AM
MOST manufacturers are lifetime of the product on the market or 1-3 yrs. So saying you'd never buy from PNY is also stating you'd also not buy from 90% of the other manufacturers as well. I like bfg's warranty as well, tho.

maxxshwagg
06-07-04, 09:49 AM
i don't plan to keep the video card that long. honestly i have never owned a video card for more than 1 year.....don't know many people with fast machines hold on to there cards for a long time...

after that there resale value goes to almost nothing and it is extra painful to upgrade. buy a card for 400-500, sell it for 200-300. so in the end it cost around $20 per month to have the baddest card on the market. its worth it for me at least. the gaming performance is the best and when i am working in Solidworks (CAD), the extra speed makes a big difference.

maxx

by the way, just got off the phone with PNY tech. the card is clocked at 400/1100.

NightFire
06-07-04, 10:12 AM
Would waiting for the other HV's to start shipping be a good idea, or should I just order this one right now?

I'm really torn, because the only HV I've ever used was Palit-Daytona. All my other cards were from the company itself.

Voodoo 3 until 2002, and going back,
1 mb integrated video until 1999. Back even further, and I don't remember what it was.