PDA

View Full Version : Bad news on CompUSA orders for 6800

Pages : [1] 2

xdaishanx
06-07-04, 11:15 AM
Geez its not a good way to start as first post but maybe can help some out so figured would be worth it to finally register and let others know

Been dying to get a 6800 ( sold my ATI x800 pro on Ebay and have to ship it today - why? short answer is my main games I play - COH , Lineage 2 , EQ (EQ2 beta soon ) and others just play better on Nvidia cards for some reason - )

Anyway was delighted to see the instock info on Comp's website (after checking on Techdata's website also as I work in an IT shop where we are a vendor who can order from there and not in till 6/26/ there and only 15 then )- but being the cynical person I am I called the ecommerce number for Compusa and wanted to verify stock

In a nutshell she was actually helpful and after being on hold a few different times she said yes they had a "very few" originally but the website was incorrect saying in stock and should not have as they were already spoken for

I asked if I ordered online just then and got an email etc about it confirming what would be status - she said if you got your order in very very early it was possible you were getting your card but its also possible and likely that the automated system (which she said should have already reflected out of stock ) sent it as confirmed but when updated would then show out of stock

She was apologetic but I did at least save the trouble of ordering for myself ( was sitting at confirm screen )

She said they werent getting more till 6/25 at earlierst

Just wanted to give heads up - this was about an hour ago ( couldnt get to comp to post till now )

Just hoping to save some trouble

rellingsen
06-07-04, 11:23 AM
I ordered mine early this morning and have already received 2 e-mails from CUSA. I wonder if mine was early enough? E-mail below with personal info deleted.

To: <ellingsen1@prodigy.net>
Subject: CompUSA Order Number WB******* Now Processing
Date: Monday, June 07, 2004 9:15 AM

Dear Roald Ellingsen,

The following order (#WB*******) has been approved and is currently being
processed. You will be notified via e-mail when your order has shipped.
Please print a copy of this page to process your rebate(s) if applicable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Order Number: WB******* Date: 6/7/2004 7:47:02 AM
Total: $508.49
Ship-to: Roald Ellingsen Bill-to: Roald Ellingsen

US US
Phone: Phone:
E-mail: ellingsen1@prodigy.net
SKU Description Fulfillment Price Qty Total
313398 Verto GeForce 6800 Ultra Delivery $499.99 1 $499.99
Video Card, 8x AGP, 256MB
1.1GHz GDDR3
Sub-Total: $499.99
Shipping: $8.50
Sales Tax*: $0.00
===========================
Total: $508.49
*Because of varying state and local tax rates, your tax amount may be
slightly different on your final bill.

Rebates will not be shipped with product. Rebates can be printed from our
rebate site at http://www.compusa.com/products/rebate_center.asp. If the
rebate you are looking for is not available, please contact either the
manufacturer or a CompUSA location near you. CompUSA is not responsible for
failure to obtain rebate forms. Please visit our rebate FAQ at
http://www.compusa.com/products/rebate_center.asp#faqs for more information.

You can check on the status of your order by going to:
https://www.compusa.com/shop/receipt.asp?mid=*******-****-****-****-***********

Please visit us again soon at:
http://www.compusa.com

You can contact us by phone at 1-800-653-3831 between the hours of 8:00 a.m.
- 5:00 p.m. CST Monday - Friday.

Thank you for shopping with CompUSA!

The CompUSA Staff

Please do not reply directly to this e-mail. {PROC}

xdaishanx
06-07-04, 11:28 AM
Dont know for sure -
Like I said I wasnt trying to be negative and really do hope you guys get yours :)

Its just that working in business for a while etc I have only used Comp as last resort - usually Techdata ( since I have access to them ) and Newegg and googlegear(zipzoomfly) in that order

And in past have been burned by Comp's website not being accurate

I will say I lucked out and got someone who understood what was getting at on the phone for them and could tell she was truly verifying actual status instead of reading me back canned responses etc - she didnt have power to update website but was forthcoming about the fact I could order one right then and get a confirmation email but as far as she could verify any of the small quantities she said they got in were sold immediately and none were coming till 6/25

Maybe you guys got the "very few" cards they had - just wanted to give heads up for you all in case wanted to check on that and to let others know before ordering

( just checked on site and still says in stock shipping 24-48 hrs etc )

kahloq
06-07-04, 12:12 PM
In the other thread, i forget who, posted that they as well called Compusa and was told there was 50 and that 18 had been sold!!! You will get the automated email telling you that your order has been received. However, I think its a real good sign if you get that email stating that your order has been APPROVED and is processing. That means your credit card info has been verified and they arent going to do that until the card is ready to be shipped(they state they dont charge CC until product is available to ship.)

Riptide
06-07-04, 12:14 PM
If all they had was 50... Man, it's hard to believe they would have any left after even one hour. You know how it is here on the net, everyone and their dog probably knows about this by now. ;)

kahloq
06-07-04, 12:22 PM
Well Im guessing that the 50 is the number that were "instock" not 15 like the thread started said. 15 and 50 are easily misunderstood. In any event, even if there were only 15, to be honest, since CompUsa didnt list the card AT all earlier this morning, they had to update the site to include it. I know, cuz first thing I did this morning was check compusa for 6800 and no results were found. It wasnt till I saw the other thread and went back did it then show up. So, its possible that not that many ppl knew about it at that point. So anyone who ordered swiftly after seeing the other thread will probably be one of those that gets it. But yeah, 50 will go quick. if they all havent been spoken for already. Remember, Compusa did NOT have a pre-order, so even if it was only 15 cards available, there will be 15 ppl getting them :) Me hopes I was one of them. I ordered mine like a minute after seeing the first thread about it.

xdaishanx
06-07-04, 12:28 PM
well like I posted in other thread - took the chance and ordered and will call later in day I suppose and see if they have them - anyone know if they dont charge CC until shipping is confirmed ?

Such as newegg I had already placed an order for 5950ultra but until it reaches stage 2 of verification/order status etc its not charged or checked against

Would be good way to see if Comp will be shipping them

Arioch
06-07-04, 12:32 PM
I hope it works out for you guys and it looks like I am too late already. I got caught up in the Gateway X800XT disaster so now I am a bit gunshy - I don't have a ton of cash on my card to have them tied up in a bunch of backorder holds right now. :(

revbatboy
06-07-04, 12:45 PM
I ordered one eirlier also and have received the two e-mails so I hope I am safe. If not just wasted $8.50 on two day shipping.

kahloq
06-07-04, 01:08 PM
Why would you waste 8.50 for shipping??? Confused here, lol Compusa had free 2day fedex shipping

kahloq
06-07-04, 01:15 PM
well like I posted in other thread - took the chance and ordered and will call later in day I suppose and see if they have them - anyone know if they dont charge CC until shipping is confirmed ?

Such as newegg I had already placed an order for 5950ultra but until it reaches stage 2 of verification/order status etc its not charged or checked against

Would be good way to see if Comp will be shipping them

In the first email you got from Compusa it should state the following:

If you selected In-Store Pick-Up and Delivery
---------------------------------------------
Your credit card has only been charged for the items selected for delivery.
We will not charge your credit card for In-Store Pick-Up items until you
come to the store.

This looks like CC is charge when order is approved.

However, if you get the 2nd email, looks like your good if I interpret the following part of the first email correctly:

Delivery Information
--------------------
Your order will begin processing as soon as the information you have
provided has been verified and a pre authorization has been made for the
items you are requesting to be shipped. You will be notified via e-mail when
your order has been approved.

This states a pre authorization....which I think means that the card has to be in inventory for your order to get approved and begin processing.

Has anyone ordered the card and NOT gotten that 2nd email?

kahloq
06-07-04, 01:20 PM
As of 11:11 am MST this is what the following member found out:

06-07-2004, 11:18 AM #358
oleasgamer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just called and the sorta nice man said they are still in stock but didn't know how many!?! He did go on to say when they are gone they won't be on the web site anymore....duh.

revbatboy
06-07-04, 01:21 PM
No, They had standard shipping for a penny. And im spending $500 on a video card what is an extra $8.50.

kahloq
06-07-04, 01:30 PM
Gotcha

rellingsen
06-07-04, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE=kahloq]
Delivery Information
--------------------

This states a pre authorization....which I think means that the card has to be in inventory for your order to get approved and begin processing.

QUOTE]

Generally a pre-authorization is simply a check with the cc company to see if you have the available credit to cover the items to be shipped. It should also put a hold on those funds for a set period of time so that the funds are available to them when the item is shipped.

To me it would just seem to mean that if the card is not available they just would never complete the transaction by charging the card. The authorization would just time-out.

Draxus
06-07-04, 02:19 PM
Has anyone ordered the card and NOT gotten that 2nd email?

I ordered one at like 11:30, and I've only recieved one e-mail from them (the one you included a portion of).

:(

kahloq
06-07-04, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=kahloq]
Delivery Information
--------------------

QUOTE]

Generally a pre-authorization is simply a check with the cc company to see if you have the available credit to cover the items to be shipped. It should also put a hold on those funds for a set period of time so that the funds are available to them when the item is shipped.

To me it would just seem to mean that if the card is not available they just would never complete the transaction by charging the card. The authorization would just time-out.

I understand all that :) My point was tho, that they most likely arent going to run your CC number to verify it without a PRODUCT to match it to. Now, once they receive alot of orders(above the ones they have product for at this time), now they will know how many additional to obtain from the manufacturer(thus the next batch at the end of the month), plus a few to send out to their various brick and mortor stores for shelf sales.

xdaishanx
06-07-04, 03:14 PM
Sorry thats not the case with Comp as far as online orders go

they do the preauthorization immediately as you submit order and then send in charge when it ships within the next day or so

Showed up immediately when I ordered this card = now that its pretty much confirmed they never even got them in I canceled my order

I most likely will never see a charge then refund as they will never authorize for actual purchase/charge

randsom
06-07-04, 04:01 PM
Sorry thats not the case with Comp as far as online orders go

they do the preauthorization immediately as you submit order and then send in charge when it ships within the next day or so

Showed up immediately when I ordered this card = now that its pretty much confirmed they never even got them in I canceled my order

I most likely will never see a charge then refund as they will never authorize for actual purchase/charge

youre exacxtly right,all they do when you order online is authorize first to verify funds and adress and it holds them so to speak, then when they ship, they actually do the real charge with the authorization # from the credit card processor

Fatman
06-07-04, 05:01 PM
Here is my story. My friend ordered two cards about 10EST this morning. He made a call around 4pm EST, he was told that PNY did not come through. There are 50 units shipping on 6/24, Compusa took 37 orders and is not taking any more orders. Those 37 will be shipped out of warehouse on 6/24.

Arioch
06-07-04, 05:06 PM
Here is my story. My friend ordered two cards about 10EST this morning. He made a call around 4pm EST, he was told that PNY did not come through. There are 50 units shipping on 6/24, Compusa took 37 orders and is not taking any more orders. Those 37 will be shipped out of warehouse on 6/24.

All the bull**** with these "in stock, not in stock" video cards is getting out of hand.

Draxus
06-07-04, 05:19 PM

Greeaaat, once I recieve an e-mail from CompUSA confirming this, I'll be cancelling my order :\

kahloq
06-07-04, 05:40 PM
I would really only cancel the order Draxus if you find the card sooner somehow somwhere else. Otherwise, you may not get one. Besides, free shipping(if you opted for that) isnt too bad a deal.

Fatman
06-07-04, 05:45 PM
Kahloq is right, keep the preorder unless you find a card somewhere else. To cancel an order, takes few min on the phone.

Draxus
06-07-04, 05:54 PM
I would really only cancel the order Draxus if you find the card sooner somehow somwhere else. Otherwise, you may not get one. Besides, free shipping(if you opted for that) isnt too bad a deal.

Patience is not one of my virtues, hehe, I chose next day air. I'm going to be watching newegg now, as they just put a card up on their site.... ETA 6/8/04

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-196&depa=1