PDA

View Full Version : Any word on 6800 availability?

Pages : [1] 2 3

ElderDruid
06-07-04, 05:47 PM
Anybody know when we can expect to have wide availability of 6800-based cards? I've been checking on NewEgg practically every day, and they still don't list any cards. Unbelievable. nVidia has to get its act together and not state that cards are available until they know their chip supplier(s) are up to the task. :lame:

grimreefer
06-07-04, 05:49 PM
newegg has them now

grimreefer
06-07-04, 05:50 PM
3....2....1.... out of stock.
but they had them

Draxus
06-07-04, 05:57 PM
claims 6/8/04 availability... i'm gonna give them a call and see if that date is BS

mario64
06-07-04, 06:23 PM
claims 6/8/04 availability... i'm gonna give them a call and see if that date is BS
I did just that. They said they haven't even placed an order with eVga for any additional cards yet so don't expect any more in the near future. The 6/8/04 eta is bogus.

Mario64

Riptide
06-07-04, 07:23 PM
I noticed gameve says 6/28 now for the Aopen 6800. Quite a difference between that and 6/8 eh?? :( They had it at 6/8 until today.

kahloq
06-07-04, 07:26 PM
Im betting the 6/8 that WAS on gameve and also TODAY saying 6/8 on new egg is a TYPO and was supposed to read 6/28

Riptide
06-07-04, 07:30 PM
Nope. I called gameve last week and they were still expecting eVGA cards on 6/7. Not a typo apparently... Looks to me like they did expect them today and either didn't get any or got such a limited quantity that they couldn't fill anywhere near all of the preorders they had.

kahloq
06-07-04, 07:31 PM
thats a good possibility that they may have gotten a "few" and will be able to ship those FEW out, but the next shipment will probably be 6/28

ElderDruid
06-07-04, 07:39 PM
thats a good possibility that they may have gotten a "few" and will be able to ship those FEW out, but the next shipment will probably be 6/28

And in the meantime, they are going to milk the low availability for every cent of profit they can.

kahloq
06-07-04, 07:54 PM
Well yeah but thats where consumer choice comes into play. I didnt order from gameve because they were price gouging. Compusa had theirs listed at MSRP and so placed an order there when they were listed earlier today(6/7)

Draxus
06-07-04, 07:55 PM
The newegg rep I spoke with on the phone said they were still expecting to recieve a shipment of the cards on the 8th or 9th...

prolly bs... but one can hope... i may place an order with them... not like CompUSA is sending me one anyway, lol

kahloq
06-07-04, 07:58 PM
They may be telling you that to GET you to order from them. Alot of these retailers think that once they got your order, you'll just sit and wait. Obviously from other ppl posting in these forums that isnt the case for some, but the mentality is there for retailers to be like........hah I got your money now, now i can take my time getting you the product......etc

Draxus
06-07-04, 08:03 PM
yea, could very well be... or she could just be an idiot...eh... it makes me not want to give them my money, but whoever is able to ship me one first can have it... i'll cancel any orders i have as soon as one ships

jdunlap
06-07-04, 08:23 PM
I was able to get one from Newegg when they were in stock.. The only thing is the order is still 2 of 5, "being prepared in the warehouse".. I just hope they are able to ship it out to me.. I don't see Newegg as screwing people over like compusa or gateway..

evilchris
06-07-04, 08:48 PM
I honestly wouldn't expect to be able to get any flavor of 6800 until July at the earliest. Some will trickle out of course, I am talking about general availability. NVIDIA made a bad decision "launching" in April. They should have announced it June 1st or near there. This is getting rediculous. Their official statement was 45 days from press release to availability and they are at LEAST 30 days behind that.

I spoke with eVGA ( we buy direct from them ) and asked why we couldn't get any ( I mentioned jakup's PCClub purchase ). They stated that they sold 250 units as "OEM evals" for OEM's to test in their configurations. You had to sign up for this ( the OEM had to sign up ). The "evals" were full, official retail packages, but evals nonetheless. Expect general availability mid July on the eVGA. ( so they say ). As always, could be sooner or later.

Riptide
06-07-04, 08:51 PM
July at the earliest? Yep, paper launch alright. :p

evilchris
06-07-04, 08:54 PM
July at the earliest? Yep, paper launch alright. :p

Yep. So far the only somewhat real "launch" is the X800 Pro. It is still not very available though. the XT PE is completely MIA. ATi said towards the end of May for that part. It's June 7th. These companies need to get their act together.

Riptide
06-07-04, 08:58 PM
I agree. I appear to have got lucky and was able to get the "privelidge" (sp?) of being gouged by allstarshop.com for an xt. They shipped it today, should be here tomorrow or day after. I paid through the nose for it, but that was ofcourse by choice. I just couldn't wait any longer damnit! :)

Hereticiv
06-07-04, 09:06 PM
I just so sick of the bs that all of us have had to sit through for the past month! Now that it is clear even the Vanilla cards are going to come out in July, I just gonna go ahead and get a supped up version from Gainward. I normally can't handle the wait but I'm not paying 600 bucks for a 500 dollar card. I'm pissed at Nvidia and ATI, they have enough time to show off all the PCI-E crap to intel and all those people but they don't have enough time to get their announced product to market!? Jesus, I upgraded my comp. in Aug. just for this card when it was supposed to be out Q1 2004 and now it is June :lame: It is time for these companies to DROP EVERYTHING and get to work on getting these cards to market...and all these rumors about extremely low output even when production is at full steam is not making me feel that good. Do they not understand that there are a bunch of us out here ready to drop 500 buck the second they get these things out!? SO WHY DON'T THEY DO IT ALREADY!!!! AHHH!!! I just can't take it anymore!!!

Hey, also anyone know why the ATI cards are all over the retail stores sites for pre order (ie: BB and CUSA) but the Nvidia cards are no where to be seen..hmmm.

kahloq
06-07-04, 09:22 PM
Well to be honest, its not really Nvidia's or ATI's fault. Its their chip partners fault like IBM, etc. IBM's inability to get useable samples is whats holding up the retail cards from actually getting to market. ATI has the same problem more or less. So, give them a break, its not their fault. Its the chipmakers fault when it comes down to it. Nvidia is already in talks to get someone else to assist and/or take over production of the core chips

Draxus
06-07-04, 09:41 PM
someone who ordered one on newegg got this far:

NewEgg status update:

Your order is at step 4 of 5: has been packed is ready for shipping. Here is your invoice #...

Your Tracking Number will be uploaded here at 6pm PST 6/7/2004

It was also an eVGA marketing guy who posted the link to it on the evga forums

Hereticiv
06-07-04, 10:24 PM
First off, you are right that it is not Nvidia's fault. I just wish more information was being released from someone. We do have somewhat of a right to know when the cards will "really" be released. Secondly, I do know that some cards are getting shipped but I just don't get why they are in such small numbers...I heard that Comp USA and Newegg only had between 15 and 50 cards in their first shipments. What you said about the reproduction issues must be true. This card must be so complex that reproduction takes forever. I just wish we would get some info and then get the card in our hands, I also have a bad feeling that this crunch will keep prices sky high for the entire life cycle of the card unless the market really gets flooded (which won't happen).

kahloq
06-07-04, 10:49 PM
someone who ordered one on newegg got this far:

NewEgg status update:

Your order is at step 4 of 5: has been packed is ready for shipping. Here is your invoice #...

Your Tracking Number will be uploaded here at 6pm PST 6/7/2004

It was also an eVGA marketing guy who posted the link to it on the evga forums

Yep as Im sure Newegg probably got in a very limited number and so yes the first few that treid to order may get lucky. Might be the same way with Compusa's deal. Guess we still wait and see.

Draxus
06-07-04, 11:04 PM
I got this from compusa

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for your recent order submission. We regret to inform you that
your CompUSA.com order (#xxxxxxx) is currently on hold for the following
reason(s):

Information you provided in your order is not verifiable with your financial
institution.

CompUSA's policy requires this information be on file with your credit card
company before shipment. To process your order in a timely manner, please
contact us at 1-800-653-3831 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. CST
Monday - Friday. We appreciate your business, and do not wish to cancel your
order. To avoid cancellation, please respond to us within two business
days. If we do not hear from you, the order will automatically be cancelled.

I double checked all my info and it's all correct... i dunno if that's a lame excuse or some sort of legit screwup... but it's pretty safe to say I won't be one of the lucky few, if they even had any.