PDA

View Full Version : Give up, wait till end of June for 6800

pkirby11
06-08-04, 12:35 PM
All right, after reading every post trying to find somewhere to get a hold of a Geforce 6800 Ultra I've come to one conclusion. That is wait till the end of June, no one has them and if they do it's gonna be damn near impossible to get a hold of one and you're gonna get ripped off.

Compusa has to be ripping people off. I have a pre-oder driectly through PNY and I called them yesterday and they siad that there cards won't be shipping till the end of June. And that was an estimate. So how Compusa got a hold of them I don't know. Seems fishy to me though.

So short of getting one of EVGA's mystical card floating around, or getting picked to buy an Extreme Edition from EVGA just calm down and wait. Of course this is just my suggestion, as the frustration is not worth it. I have been racking my brains for the last 3 weeks trying to find one of these cards. At least I have one on pre-order from PNY and they won't rip me off. $550 or more just for a 6800 Ultra is a little steep in my book. So again not telling you what you should do. Just saying that from everything I can gather. They won't be ready in masses till the end of June.

Rollo
06-08-04, 12:42 PM
It's this way every time a new card is released. Wait until vendors start competing next month, and you'll save much. If you have money to burn, buy now.
If you want to look at mip bands, shimmering and distortion, buy an X800. :rolleyes:

DMA
06-08-04, 01:00 PM
If you want to look at mip bands, shimmering and distortion, buy an X800.

ENOUGH!!11
;)

jcossin
06-08-04, 01:00 PM
Do you have a link on where to pre-order directly with PNY?

pkirby11
06-08-04, 01:14 PM
http://www.pny.com/products/verto/geForce6/6800ultra.asp

That should take you there. Not a bad idea if you're willing to wait till the end of June. You get it at street price and you know you're gonna get one. Plus like I siad it's damn near impossible to find one any other way. I have the money to plop on one now no matter the cost. But why? I can just wait till they sell for street. It ain't that far off. :) And by then the drivers should be better. :)

revbatboy
06-08-04, 01:21 PM
And don't forget you get a free Beverage cooler from PNY. MMMM cold beer and 6800U :drooling:

Arioch
06-08-04, 01:33 PM
I try keep an open mind as I think either high end card is fabulous and have things going for them. Most of the glitches on these cards will be fixed in the future I am sure. I was at the point that I wanted the first one I could get my hand on, be it the X800XT or the 6800 Ultra. I was finally able to track down a X800XT and that is going to be my card until the end of the year when I will evaluate both camps for a refresh or not.

Riptide
06-08-04, 02:03 PM
Arioch, where did you get your XT from?

Arioch
06-08-04, 02:23 PM
Str8buy.com - it cost me $585 so I know I am overpaying for it but I did not have to pay tax like on some of my other preorder options so that makes up for it a bit at least.

Riptide
06-08-04, 03:17 PM
Str8buy.com - it cost me $585 so I know I am overpaying for it but I did not have to pay tax like on some of my other preorder options so that makes up for it a bit at least.
Don't feel to bad. I'm getting mine from allstarshop for the ridiculous price of $600. So you got a bargain! ;) :D

When will it get here?? Mine would've been here today but allstarshop or fedex (not sure who goofed) screwed up and it didn't ship until past the cutoff time yesterday even though the order went in over the weekend. Oh well, I've waited a while already so what's one more day?

Perhaps I'll use those 4.5 betas instead. Let me know if you try out the 4.6's and how they work (or not work).

Arioch
06-08-04, 03:23 PM
Well it is supposed to ship today - the sales rep I called today to double check the order told me I was one of the last people to get the ones they hand in stock and I told him about the Gateway fiasco I got caught up in so hopefully they aren't pulling my leg. I was told to expect an email with a tracking order tonight and I ordered it 2nd day air so hopefully I will get it Thursday or Friday at the latest.

Riptide
06-08-04, 03:27 PM
Nice. We should both put up some numbers then for the others here to see. Only thing is I've never benchmarked UT2004 or FarCry in my life so I have no idea WTF I'm doing there. May be a few days before I figure out how to get some meaningful results from those programs. Synthetics (ie, 3dmark) are no problem ofcourse.

Arioch
06-08-04, 03:30 PM
Download the benchemall program - it has built in bechmarking demos for various games to you can test if you have them installed on your machine. It has both Far Cry and UT2K4 included.

Benchemall (http://www.benchemall.com)

Well take care - I work nightshift and need to get some sleep.

Riptide
06-08-04, 03:31 PM
Thanks Arioch. I will download that utility as soon as I get the synthetics run and attempt to come back with a few results for everyone.

Gator
06-09-04, 12:24 PM
Have you tried ALL the online resellers in this list?

http://www.pricewatch.com/1/37/6099-1.htm

and if you look at this thread (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29756), you may need to CALL the company because some don't have it on the webpage for some reason but will sell it over the phone :screwy:

Arioch
06-09-04, 12:36 PM
Have you tried ALL the online resellers in this list?

http://www.pricewatch.com/1/37/6099-1.htm

and if you look at this thread (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29756), you may need to CALL the company because some don't have it on the webpage for some reason but will sell it over the phone :screwy:

Well I am out of the rat race this cycle at last! I got my DHL tracking number and expect my card on Thursday afternoon.

Hopefully the rest of you will get the card you wanted soon too. I was basically at the point that I would buy the first 6800 Ultra or X800XT card that I could get a hold of since they both are pretty equal in my eyes and it just happened to be the X800XT this time.

I guess I will see how the next refresh cycle pans out so I can decide which one to upgrade to then.

:thumbsup: