PDA

View Full Version : GeForce4 Ti 4200 lockups with SiS chipset

vikool
10-18-02, 02:54 AM
i just got a new Aopen Ti4200 128mb. I removed the stock fan and installed the themaltake fan with all the memory heat sinks.

However, much to my dismay, every 15 minutes, the computer just hangs up. it hangs up while doing nothing, while running 3dmark, and playing unreal. The card has not been overclocked.

i'm running windowsXP with sp1. I have a ECE k7s5a motherboard with 512mb Sdram. i have 30gig fujitsu harddisk and athlon XP 1700+ proccessor. my case has 300W power supply

someone else had the same problem in the list, and it was reccomended that they try increasing the volatege to the AGP slot. however i coudnt find any option in my bios(AMI) even after flashign it to latest version.
any help woudl be greatly appreciated.

thankx
-vikas

LORD-eX-Bu
10-18-02, 03:07 AM
When you put that new HSF on did you put thermal paste on the chipset and the fan? Just wondering. That could be one reason, another could be in your bios, try turning off fast writes, video shadow, video bios shadow or it could be your AGP driving control. Try setting it to auto, and if that doesn't work, try other settings on the driving control. That should get rid of it. What type of motherboard are you using? And what version drivers? nVIDIA recommends 350W+ PSU for GF4 cards.

vikool
10-18-02, 04:26 AM
yes, i did put the termal paste and i was pretty sure i applied them properly. about teh bios part, i coudnt find any of the video optiosn in my bios. nor coudl i find AGP driving control. my motherboard has a sis chipset. it the
http://ecsusa.com/ecsusa/www.ecs.com.tw/products/k7s5a.htm

i tried Aopen 28.xx drivers that came with my card. then i tied the 30.82 from teh nvidia website. currently i'm running the 19.42 Aopen drivers. the driver seems to make no difference

-vikas

walkndude
10-18-02, 10:18 AM
Did you test the card before the modification ?

The fact you can run for 15 minutes before a problem arises points to overheating but thats nothing more than a guess...

raising the agp voltage will only lead to higher temps and in my experience is only good for running the bus out of spec(i.e 100mhz vs 66mhz)

I run a 4200 on a sis chipset(645) as well and you may not be aware that a special agp gart driver is needed for proper funtionality. Go to sis' website and download either the 1.10 or 1.11 agp driver.

Before pulling your hair out install the driver and see if that helps, if not carefully reinstall the stock heatsink making sure its fitted properly and start from there.

btw, I noticed you installed ram heatsinks also -be absolutely sure none of the resistors around the gpu and or ram are coming into contact with your heatsinks. these resistors are only slighty higher than the gpu and ram chips and it is VERY easy to think that the heatsinks are flush to their mating surfaces when actually they are ****ed due to interference.

For future reference its a good idea to test any piece of hardware BEFORE modifications to get a baseline and to make sure everthing is workinking properly.

Hope this helps and keep us filled in.

vikool
10-18-02, 06:00 PM
Allright, i upgraded the drivers (agp to 1.11) and tried the stock fan and that didnt make a difference.

however, i managed the isolate the problem.
while i was playing with the bios, i changed the cpu freq from 133Mhz to 100Mhz. this brought my CPU speed to a 1.1Ghz from an Athlon XP 1700+ ( it doenst even show Athlon XP, just athlon(tm) 1,00Mhz) . When i did this the card seemed to have absolutely no problem at all. in fact i used it for about 4 hours without crashing. just to make sure i changed back and forth between the frequencies a couple of times and every time i switched to 133Mhz, it hung but it was very stable at 100Mhz.

I really dotn want to run my computer 1.1Ghz esp when i have 1.47Ghz proccesor. Does anyone have any ideas?

thanks in advance

-vikas

LORD-eX-Bu
10-18-02, 06:29 PM
Check the HSF on the CPU and northbridge, check to make sure it is adequate and that the thermal compound on those is on there good. If that checks out it is your memory.

walkndude
10-18-02, 07:12 PM
Which revision board do you have 1.x or 3.x (website lists both) and which bios version ? There have been 13 bios updates for the board with quite a few having listed changes of "adjust timings for stability and compatibility"...

Did you reinstall your drivers after updating the agp gart as the manual instructs ?

Did you choose "load optimal settings" in the bios or "load performance settings" in your bios ?

What type of ram are you using ? The manual has a compatibility list for supported ram.

What speed are you running the ram at when you choose 133 fsb?

The fact that the system hangs without trying to run any type of 3d application leads me to believe your problem elsewhere than the 4200.

According to the manual the bios has zero agp settings sosearch as youmay your not going to find any...

vikool
10-18-02, 11:19 PM
i have the 1.x board and latest bios ( i belive it is the 06/26/2002)

i reinstalled my drivers as i didnt do that after i updated the agp gart. So far ( its been a couple of hours now) and it still hasnt hung or shown any sign of it. I think that might have been the problem.
I'll keep you guys updated if it hangs again.

lots of thanx to walkndude and |TX|-LORD-EX-BU . I really appreciate your help.

-vikas

SurfMonkey
10-19-02, 12:16 AM
How much memory do you have installed? If you have more than one stick are they matched pairs? I had a 384Mb setup where I thought all three sticks were 133MHz, until I installed a GF2MX and then it started locking up. I then discovered that one stick was 100Mhz rated and that screwed the whole thing up. And that was after about 10 or 20 minutes.

vikool
10-19-02, 12:29 AM
i have one 512mb sdram PC133 stick.

-vikas

SurfMonkey
10-19-02, 12:59 AM
Have you double checked that you haven't got any thermal paste on the legs of either the gfx gpu or memory chips? It may be conductive and (slim chance) maybe making contact after your card has heated up a bit.

Also what is your CAS timing set to in your BIOS? And what video card did you haver installed previously, did you do a clean install? As in remove all traces of the previous cards drivers?

walkndude
10-19-02, 08:16 AM
i reinstalled my drivers as i didnt do that after i updated the agp gart. So far ( its been a couple of hours now) and it still hasnt hung or shown any sign of it. I think that might have been the problem.

Great news vikas, hope that did the trick -now game on :)

LORD-eX-Bu
10-19-02, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by vikool
i have the 1.x board and latest bios ( i belive it is the 06/26/2002)

I'll keep you guys updated if it hangs again.

lots of thanx to walkndude and |TX|-LORD-EX-BU . I really appreciate your help.

-vikas

Hey no prob.;)

Grechie
10-22-02, 12:11 AM
looks like its perfect now eh?
good stuff :)