PDA

View Full Version : I took the plung, bought amd-fx-53

Pages : [1] 2 3

GlowStick
06-08-04, 11:49 PM
I took the plunge.

I bought the 939 FX-53 with some great Corsair ram! :D PC3200@2-2-2-5

But it oc's at higher latencys!

I got the mobo from zipzoomfly, they better deliver it the same day my processor gets here!

Anyways, the total damage was 1450$ : (

Now bring on the X800XT or 6800Ultra!

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6291&stc=1

jAkUp
06-09-04, 01:45 AM
Which mobo did you get? Let us know how it compares to your P4 :) I am currently considering an A64... but I think I may hold off for all the good stuff... PCI express, BTx.. etc :)

GlowStick
06-09-04, 02:51 AM
Which mobo did you get? Let us know how it compares to your P4 :) I am currently considering an A64... but I think I may hold off for all the good stuff... PCI express, BTx.. etc :)
The only mobo that seems to be avalible for 939 is

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=240410

a Asus A8V-Delux, based on the VIA K8T800PRO chipset, i know, it wont do fsb overclocking well but i am thinking of buying a nforce3 mobo as soon as they become avalible.

I cant wait for it to get here, and since the mobo and cpu are from diffrent store, they better get here on the same time :O

Edit----

Actually, i just read asus specs, and wow its amazing!

http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket939/a8v-d/overview.htm

It claims it can play music with out booting into winders, and the free wireless lan stuff, and, its just awesome! :D

oh, and it also can test network cables, AND its like the expensive kind that can tell you how far away the break in the cable is. Woot!

-=DVS=-
06-09-04, 02:58 AM
You lucky ritch son of a dog :bleh:

GlowStick
06-09-04, 02:59 AM
You lucky ritch son of a dog :bleh:
Ahh hehe, im not rich, i just spend 100% of my income on computer stuff, sad really : \

MUYA
06-09-04, 03:19 AM
I took the plunge.

I bought the 939 FX-53 with some great Corsair ram! :D PC3200@2-2-2-5

But it oc's at higher latencys!

I got the mobo from zipzoomfly, they better deliver it the same day my processor gets here!

Anyways, the total damage was 1450$ : (

Now bring on the X800XT or 6800Ultra!

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6291&stc=1

Congrats u lucky sod ;)

Pls do post some benches :D

|JuiceZ|
06-09-04, 03:29 AM
Congrats man, although based upon most of the initial (http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl=en&langpair=fr%7Cen&u=http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/cpu/s939/s939-6.htm&prev=/language_tools) reviews & perf comparisons, you could have really saved some dough and went the socket 754 route. We'll see the real benefit of dual channel/a64 with the faster chips coming later this yr.

Neways let us know how she goes when everything comes in! My MSI K8N/a64 3200+ should be in hopefully today. Think is bout time we start an A64 club! :angel:

Viral
06-09-04, 03:38 AM
personally i would have got DDR500+ RAM with how well A64's are overclocking nowadays... 250MHz FSB is is quite easy to obtain (you will have to lower the multiplier for the 2.2GHz+ chips obviously).

Still, a good buy. And the RAM should overclock fairly well if you relax the timings. Well, i hope so, seeing i have similar RAM :D

|JuiceZ|
06-09-04, 03:48 AM
Check out this schweet o'c using the MSI K8N:

http://vog.20m.com/images/3200_clawhammer_cpuid.jpg

see thread (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?threadid=17233857&perpage=30&pagenumber=11) :cool2:

GlowStick
06-09-04, 11:16 AM
personally i would have got DDR500+ RAM with how well A64's are overclocking nowadays... 250MHz FSB is is quite easy to obtain (you will have to lower the multiplier for the 2.2GHz+ chips obviously).

Still, a good buy. And the RAM should overclock fairly well if you relax the timings. Well, i hope so, seeing i have similar RAM :D
My ram dose run at 250mhz ; D

Thats why i bought it, its tested to run in two modes, mode 1 is 2-2-2-5 and thats at 200mhz, but if i relax the timeings to 2.5-3-3-7 it will run at 250mhz.

And im not sure if many people realize it, but FX cpu's are multiplyer unlocked!

Viral
06-10-04, 10:06 AM
Yes i know that, but you will get better performance when overclocking your memory too.. but then again, you payed for the FX, why not enjoy the luxury of easy multiplier overclocking :D

GlowStick
06-10-04, 11:12 AM
Yes i know that, but you will get better performance when overclocking your memory too.. but then again, you payed for the FX, why not enjoy the luxury of easy multiplier overclocking :D
Not really, if i oc the memory i have to use laxter timeings, also the memory controlers on the atlon 64's like to die fast when they are over clocked via fsb.

PaiN
06-10-04, 10:07 PM
Glow...good job :) , I'm gald to see you got the best of the best. The Asus board has been getting great press.....
I'd hold my water before going out to get an nf3 250Gb 939 baord....the VIA K8T800 Pro might be the way to go ;)

DSC
06-10-04, 11:32 PM
http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=2069

While we are here at Computex, we have been able to talk with many manufacturers about the PCI/AGP locks on the VIA K8T800 PRO and the nVidia nForce3-250. We have also talked with VIA. Right now, the PCI/AGP lock works on every nForce3-250 chipset that we have tested, while it works on some VIA K8T800 PRO chipsets, but does not work on others. It appears from the information we have right now that the VIA PCI/AGP lock is not a reliable or consistent feature on the K8T800 PRO chipset. Since this is an important feature to many Enthusiasts, who are a large percentage of readers at AnandTech, our advice FOR NOW is to buy an nForce3-250 chipset if the PCI/AGP lock is an important feature in your Athlon 64 purchase decision.

VIA..... :screwy:

GlowStick
06-11-04, 01:49 AM
Glow...good job :) , I'm gald to see you got the best of the best. The Asus board has been getting great press.....
I'd hold my water before going out to get an nf3 250Gb 939 baord....the VIA K8T800 Pro might be the way to go ;)
Thanks alot! At first i didnt want the asus board, but it has a LOT of neat features.

Such as it is a cable tester that can tell you how far away the break is.

Also it claims it can play 'music' while not booting into windows. And free wifi, and other stuff :D

PaiN
06-11-04, 06:14 AM
DSC...those quotes are from awhile back.
I wasen't ga-ga over the K8T800 Pro at first, but the PCI/AGP lock on the retail (VIA) boards seems to be working 100%, stability and performance are spot on and the boards are available...(can't say that about the 250Gb's ;))
Combine this with the the fact that Abit will not produce nf3 250Gb boards and the many reports of the S754 250Gb's issues with the PCI bus not locking and it makes one think :rolleyes:

MUYA
06-11-04, 07:50 AM
Abit will produce boards with NV's pci express athlon64 chipsets ...aparently

|JuiceZ|
06-11-04, 08:10 AM
...the many reports of the S754 250Gb's issues with the PCI bus not locking and it makes one think :rolleyes:

I haven't experienced this personally but yes a lot of initial 250gb owners are reporting this based upon their o'cing results, which is of course completely contrary to the reviews. I know MSI for one is working on a quick bios update. But as for now, I'd recommend waiting for a few weeks till the usual quirks that come with fresh silicon get worked out especially w/ EpoX & ASUS' boards on the horizon, they may produce better results.

GlowStick
06-11-04, 10:00 AM
Hm, what I will do is since i do have a mobo for it, ill keep it unless i think i think the via chipset is limiting my oc!

PaiN
06-11-04, 03:50 PM
I want to see just afew more "retail" 939 board reviews before I make the switch.....
If I don't like, might have to wait for a PCI-Ex solution.... :)

GlowStick
06-11-04, 09:59 PM
This is no good, after the mobo sawp, i cant get the windows installer to successfully work. It seems to give errors randomly.

I am wondering if it is being caused by my cd-rom because it gives a few 'cannot read file' errors, but if i retry it a few times it works.

Anyone have some suggestions?

GlowStick
06-11-04, 11:24 PM
Hmm, im gonna try to post as detailed a description as i can.

At first i had everything hooked up.

For fun, i went to see if i could boot my old install of windows, amazinly it worked, and it found all the drivers. But i wanted a clean install.

I used the xp sp1 boot cd and it ran the fine, then it went to copy the files in the first stage (the non gui one) and it was giving cannot read file errors.

I thought maybe it was my new CD-ROM. So i used a cdrom i know works. Same issue.

Then i let it run and ignored all the missing files. It copyed the install files to the hdd, then rebooted from the hdd and when it would go from the windows loading screen to the install screen, it would reboot it self, over and over.

One time it didnt reboot but gave a BSOD, and it said video could not init. So i thought, maybe imy PSU cant handle all this new stuff. Its a 420w enermax. So unplugged everything that isnt nessisary. 1 cdrom, 1 hdd 1floppy mobo.

Now the boot from cd install did not give any file errors, and the boot from hdd install went a BIT farther than last time. It showed the blue background with the mouse, then reboot it self.

Im really out of ideas other than.

1. Mainboard bad
2. IDE cable on CD-ROM is bad
3. Processor bad
4. IM a stupid dummey : (

Edit

Problem solved, the default memory timeings are too aggressive.

Eather its just not possible or i got a bit less than speced ram.

Woodelf
06-12-04, 09:14 AM
Sorry to read your troubles.
Could you test the mem in another board?. Like an Nforce 2 board. I have mine at 5222 @2.9v 213x12 (non-L12 moded). I'm not too educated on the A64's, but don't they work just fine a low latencies like the P4's?.
Still You want what you paid for of course.
I just took the 2600+ mobile plunge cuz there is no way I'm paying $500.00+ for
a video card. Not going to be here till tue though.

Sazar
06-12-04, 10:19 AM
what all do you have installed on the board @ bootup?

I had a coupla minor issues when I installed everything but it was just minor stuff...

lets just take it one step @ a time... am on IRC @ the moment if you want to discuss there instead...

-edit-

just read your edit :D

I told you to watch the timings before didnt i lol...

these babies are a little finicky with memory...

out of curiosity what settings did you stick it to?

I run no problems @ 2-3-3-5 or 2-3-3-6 if needed...

PaiN
06-12-04, 11:51 AM
Glow, I was thinking...."This sounds like a RAM issue" as I was reading your tail of wowes.
GL with the rest of the tweaking......:)