PDA

View Full Version : How do you watch tv on your monitor by using VIVO

Eywanadi
06-09-04, 12:53 AM
I just bought a 5900XT and ...

www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=14-127-119-05.JPG/14-127-119-02.JPG/14-127-119-03.JPG/14-127-119-04.JPG/14-127-119-01.JPG

How do I use that black cord thing ... to watch tv and stuff ... am I just a little :screwy: or something?

PS
When a game is very intensive on my computer it crashes ... I think it is because I only have a 300watt power supply, upgrading to a 450watt will fix this crashing problem right?

Eywanadi
06-09-04, 11:48 AM
Huh, no relpys? Now I am sure alot of people on this forum have had to hook up VIVO before ... please it would only take you a second to respond with the solution.

grimreefer
06-09-04, 12:45 PM
u could do that?
then whats with all in wonder cards?
someone enlighten me?
I have sattelite and rca inputs. What do i do?
is it possible?

poursoul
06-09-04, 01:09 PM
There is a BIG difference between ViVo and a tv tuner such as an all-in-wonder. ViVo cards DO NOT have tv tuning capabilities.

What you can do instead is hook your cable up to a VCR and then from your VCR to your PC, that way you can change channels with your VCR (with a remote no less) and still have it show up on your PC.

revbatboy
06-09-04, 01:21 PM
I had the same crashing problem as you and yes a new power supply fixed the problem.

Eywanadi
06-09-04, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the VCR tip poursoul and good to know that a new PS will fix my problem revbatboy!

One new question ... Now that I have it hooked up what program do I use?

grimreefer
06-09-04, 02:48 PM
my satellite reeciever has the same connector as a vcr,
possible?
i already have a tv tuner

Eywanadi
06-09-04, 05:30 PM
Of all the people here no one knows what program to use to watch TV on your computer? Jebus ... come on.

WinDVB comes with the cd ... is that the program I am suppost to use?

If so how do I install it I keep getting this error:

The DST card driver does not exist, this will install it. Do you wish to continue?

Then When I hit Yes I get this:

The DST card driver is not installed, Please check your hardware specification and try again

I have googled for the term "dst card drive" and there is no help out there on the web .... this is a fresh install of XP ... help?

poursoul
06-09-04, 06:12 PM
Anyone here has the knowhow to help you. It's simply a matter of:

A.) Co-incedence that no one has seen the thread or simply doesn't have time.

or

B.) You're a pushy bastard.

Despite either of those, I'll be more than happy to help you still.

When you said WinDVB did you mean WinDVD? I have never heard of this DST either.

To record and edit video i use Ulead Video Studio. It's VERY simple and pretty fast if you keep it updated.

To simply watch video you can use Windows Media Player, preferably 9 or above. It's already built into windows and it's free.

Please, in the future, don't be so much ofr a letter "B"

Cota
06-09-04, 07:02 PM
To simply watch video you can use Windows Media Player, preferably 9 or above. It's already built into windows and it's free.

Please, in the future, don't be so much ofr a letter "B"

when you say windows media player 9 and up, you really mean media player 6.4 or media player classic right?

poursoul
06-10-04, 06:58 PM
I'm pretty sure I was just using WMP 9 about a week ago to watch something from my Happauge wintv card.... but yes you can use WMP Classic. I would just suggest something a little more robust/stable.

Cota
06-10-04, 07:29 PM
I would just suggest something a little more robust/stable.

biggest reason to stay away from WMP9

ChrisRay
06-10-04, 07:54 PM
I believe this is impossible. You need to have an ATi Radeon All In Wonder type card or the Nvidia Personal Cinema line. At least from the standpoint I think you are asking.

vandersl
06-10-04, 09:33 PM
Seeing as this is still kicking around...

First: You can not use your VIVO card to tune TV channels. To have a TV tuner in your computer (so you can change channels from the computer) you would need:
- an ATI All-in-Wonder card
- an NVidia Personal Cinema card
- a PCI TV tuner card (Hauppage, ATI, etc)

If you use a separate tuner (i.e. a VCR or a set-top box) it must have a video out jack (composite, usually an RCA jack). You would use a standard RCA cable to connect to the black fan-out connector that came with your VIVO card (prolly has a video in RCA, video out RCA, and a video out SVideo jack at least).

One you have the tuner connected to the video in jack, you need to use some software that will allow you to view the input video on the computer. A video capture program would do that for you. If you just go to the MSI site and look up your card, you will find that it should be bundled with WinDVD Creator Pro, which does have video capture capabilities.

I should say, this is not the optimal way to watch TV on your computer. You will not get any of the truly useful functionality a TV card would get you:
- program guide
- time-shifting and PVR recording
- other cool stuff like TV on desktop under transparent windows

If you bought this card with the impression that it would allow you to watch TV on your comp, and this is important to you, I would trade it for something like (newegg prices):
- ATI AIW 9700 Pro $230
- eVGA 5700 personal cinema $249
- ATI AIW 9600 $172

Or keep the card and get the matching MSI TV tuner card - http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-127-998&depa=0

I hope this was useful, or at least mostly correct.

gstanford
06-10-04, 09:47 PM
It's actually very simple.

Connect a VCR to the VIVO box.

Connect an antenna cable to the VCR. Tune your stations on the VCR.

nvnews-reader
06-10-04, 09:48 PM
You could also get a Nvidia NVTV. It's the same thing as the personal cinema in a standalone card with graphics.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/nvtv.html

I've been thinking about getting one.

poursoul
06-11-04, 06:21 PM
See, what did i tell ya. All these people are willing to help, just a matter of time.

Jethro
06-13-04, 02:11 PM
i watch TV using a VCR as the tuner. U have to install WDM drivers from nvidia and whatever PVR software your card comes with. Watching the Race right now! :)