PDA

View Full Version : HELP Processor speed is wrong

agent.m
06-09-04, 11:49 AM
Hi! I recently bought a Nforce 2 Mach4 motherboard (NF24-ALH) to go with my AMD Athlon xp 2000+ Processor and 512mb Ram. The problem is that the speed is at 1.25GHz and not the 1.65GHz its supposed to be at. I've tried the jumper setting which works but then when I play Halo or Far Cry the games crash. what am I doing wrong. If it helps my Graphics Card is a Geforce 4 fx5600xt.

thanks in advance

Clay
06-09-04, 11:52 AM
Hi! I recently bought a Nforce 2 Mach4 motherboard (NF24-ALH) to go with my AMD Athlon xp 2000+ Processor and 512mb Ram. The problem is that the speed is at 1.25GHz and not the 1.65GHz its supposed to be at. I've tried the jumper setting which works but then when I play Halo or Far Cry the games crash. what am I doing wrong. If it helps my Graphics Card is a Geforce 4 fx5600xt.

thanks in advance
Have you tried going into the BIOS and setting to factory defaults?

agent.m
06-09-04, 11:56 AM
will try now thanks

agent.m
06-12-04, 03:54 AM
it worked. but as usual all games crashed. so back to slow clock speed. :cry:

Clay
06-12-04, 10:13 AM
Goint to factory defaults likely set your memory timings to auto. Perhaps your memory isn't able to meet its specs. Have you tried to tweak your timings to see if that helps?

Are you getting a BSoD when your games crash? Do they just quit back to Windows? Or, are you getting a lot of artifacting in the game and it just locks at that point in game?

agent.m
06-12-04, 02:20 PM
Vice city crashes (locks) as soon as you move. Halo goes back to desktop as does far cry. what is bsod??? as for tweaking it makes the pc stutter badly. I had problems with my ASRock motherboard. then it sorted itself out when i reinstalled window xp. tried the same thing.....no luck. I baught this motherboard thinking that both graphics card and motherboard together would improve the performance. Gonna try messing with the jumper again. wish me luck.

Rytr
06-12-04, 02:32 PM
Sounds like you memory settings are not stable. If you are running dual channel try dropping your timings or use one stick without dual channel. If not running DC loosen your timings. Also might want to check your memory for errors with something like memtest86. Could possibly be a power problem but I tend to think your memory settings/performance is at fault. Just guessing tho, not a lot to go on.

Clay
06-12-04, 02:46 PM
what is bsod???
Oh, it's the dreaded blue screen of death (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bsod&f=1). :eek:

Work on those memory timings and see if that helps. I really doubt it is the processor. One thing to check though is to make sure the HSF is seated flush on the CPU core. Good luck!