PDA

View Full Version : HD Resolution Issue

longstreet
06-09-04, 03:53 PM
Long time lurker first time poster. I have a weird problem that I just can't quite put my finger on. After trying out ATI cards for about a month and just having them flip out on me, I tried out a FX5900 Ultra and it seems to be doing perfect except for one issue. First off, here are the specs:

Dual Opteron 244
Tyan Tiger K8W S2875
1Gb OCZ EL PC3200 ECC Registered
PNY FX5900 Ultra
Dell 2000FP 20" LCD @ (1600x1200 @ 60hz)
Audigy 2 ZS
DVICO FusionHDTV III Gold (HDTV Tuner)
Antec SmartPower 450w PS
WinXP Pro w/ all Windows Update and Updated Drivers on a clean install

The problem is whenever I play a video w/ a vertical resolution of 1080 (HD) and only 1080 specifically I get a lot of horizontal line distortion but only in full screen mode. This happens w/ content that is in 1080 whether it be MPEG1, MPEG2, WM9, Xvid, or any other flavor and when I tune into 1080i HD channels w/ the FusionHDTV. If I tune into a 720p channel (Fox) or play 720p encoded content it runs fine w/ no distortion. Here's another kicker, this problem only appears when I use the DVI connection from the card to the LCD, if I use the analog connection, the issue doesn't appear at all.

I guess the simple solution would be to just use an analog connection but I can see a quality different between digital and analog and would not like to sacrifice IQ. For now the temporary solution for me to run in digital is to have windows media player use software video rendering and have the hdtv tuner software use software rendering as well, its not that much of problem for my system but I would still like for everything to work the way it is suppose to otherwise I'd go nuts.

Is this a driver issue or do I just have a busted card? To me it really seems like some kind of driver issue, but I thought I'd check here first.

Cota
06-09-04, 07:12 PM
you should check htpcnews forum many people with hdtv setups post there.

www.htpcnews.com

wizdom
06-11-04, 01:21 PM
I get exactly the same problem with my Samsung 193P, and I'm not doing anything special except use Xine in fullscreen.

Try this test. Load up a movie file in a window, then slowly resize it to fill the screen. I found the scaly lines started happening when I sized it vertically too far.

Again, it only happens with the DVI connector. I suspect a driver bug.