PDA

View Full Version : cloning a MAC address on router

cricket
06-09-04, 10:59 PM
i have a question about cloning a mac address on a router. I know how to do it, but my question is what do i gain by doing it?

I read this also: "Many broadband routers can clone a NIC MAC address. That is, make the Wide Area Network (WAN) Ethernet interface going to a cable or DSL MODEM look like a NIC in a PC. This is useful in that many MODEMs marry themselves to a specific MAC address when they are first installed and it can be rather difficult to get them to marry themselves to a new MAC address. The WAN port MAC address on some routers can be manually changed"

Clay
06-09-04, 11:26 PM
I think that was useful back when the broadband ISPs were trying to control everything (just like any new IT tech, jsut way it goes)...now that things have panned out most ISPs even allow you to register up to four devices (routers, hubs, etc) or more via an online app. Check with your ISP or at dslreports.com's forums.

Draxus
06-10-04, 02:12 AM
Cloning a mac address is only needed if you need your router to appear as though it's a different NIC you have. I.E. When I signed had my cable hooked up at my old apt I didn't have my router (had just moved a looong way) the install guy needed to give my cable company a mac address, we had him hook it up to my computer and given em my nic's addy... after i got my router back i needed to clone the nic's mac address, so as far as the modem/cable company is concerned it's still hooked up to teh same nic and everything is peachy.

I don't think most cable companies do this anymore... like max said, they were strict on that stuff back when it first came out... you had to pay extra money for each computer you wanted to hook up... or do what everyone did and clone your nic's mac addy onto a router and tell nobody :)

adenosine
06-10-04, 02:12 PM
yea i remember my first ISP required you to call in whenever yoiu plugged something new into the modem , to register the mac address. man it was annoying because they had horrible service levels in their call centres and call times were often in longer than 20 mins.

my current isp (and i work in the tech support department for the internet for them hehe) just requires you to reset the modem so that it detects the new mac, and its automatically added to the DHCP servers list of authorized mac addresses