PDA

View Full Version : I decided to buy a 6800U

Omega53
06-10-04, 01:31 AM
My x800 pro is alright, but it seems like everytime Ati releases a driver they break 2 things for every 1 thing they fix. I was wondering where would be the cheapest place to buy one at? I heard that they start shipping soon and would really like to pick one up as soon as possible.

Mesce
06-10-04, 03:51 AM
Give it 2 or 3 weeks and you should see some action.

Morrow
06-10-04, 03:55 AM
It will most probably take at least 1-2 weeks before the 6800s appear in moderate quantities. So for the time being it's really difficult to say where you will find the cheapest ones.

Wait and see...

astroguy
06-10-04, 04:34 AM
My x800 pro is alright, but it seems like everytime Ati releases a driver they break 2 things for every 1 thing they fix. I was wondering where would be the cheapest place to buy one at? I heard that they start shipping soon and would really like to pick one up as soon as possible.
yeah this is bugging the ****ing **** outta me... selling my 9800pro now..

vläd
06-10-04, 07:39 AM
... but it seems like everytime Ati releases a driver they break 2 things for every 1 thing they fix.

Actually, ATI has had the same driver "development" practices for the last 9 years or so. I had the same complaint with ATI for the card that I purchased for my Mac 9500 years ago. Since then, I have never purchased another ATI card.

Ruined
06-10-04, 08:26 AM
Heh, even Hellbinder is complaining about ATI's drivers on Rage3D. Hell must have frozen over.

surfhurleydude
06-10-04, 08:38 AM
No, Hellbinder is simply trying to save face because so many people have been disgusted with him lately.

combat_wombat
06-10-04, 08:57 AM
I like to call it the Bandaids that broke the camels back

Morrow
06-10-04, 09:27 AM
Well, I think Hellbinder is one of the very few ATI geeks at rage3d who is actually not completely blinded by fanboyism.

His thread about the current state of ATI's drivers is pretty much spot on and you have to give him credit for not being a fanATIc who can only see the good sides of ATI (which do exists) and completely denies all the problems they have (which certainly also do exist).

This has been one of the biggest problems at rage3d the last few months that most MODs instantly try to attack and ban everyone who dares to write about even the slightest legitime issue with ATI. In this way, what Hellbinder did can only be appreciated for rage3d's own sake.

Lucien1964
06-10-04, 11:37 AM
Well, I think Hellbinder is one of the very few ATI geeks at rage3d who is actually not completely blinded by fanboyism.

His thread about the current state of ATI's drivers is pretty much spot on and you have to give him credit for not being a fanATIc who can only see the good sides of ATI (which do exists) and completely denies all the problems they have (which certainly also do exist).

This has been one of the biggest problems at rage3d the last few months that most MODs instantly try to attack and ban everyone who dares to write about even the slightest legitime issue with ATI. In this way, what Hellbinder did can only be appreciated for rage3d's own sake.

You are correct. We never see any fanboyism on these forums!! Rage3d is out of controll. :rolleyes:

MikeC
06-10-04, 11:40 AM
You are correct. We never see any fanboyism on these forums!! Rage3d is out of controll. :rolleyes:

Stay on topic please.

Sazar
06-10-04, 11:43 AM
hellbinder is a blind fatalist for the lack of a better word...

as far as r3d is concerned its a pretty decent community IMO

btw keep in mind a lot of strife that does occur is due to knee-jerk reactions a few individuals on a few sites have...

take for example on this board the current threads by jakUP and riptide... THATS the way to do things...civilly (for the most part) and trying to get others involved in the process...

one psuedo-silicon-messiah telling everyone what is or isn't even if they are wrong only fosters mis-information

UclaBob
06-10-04, 12:37 PM
I'm waiting until August.

Bob

Socos
06-10-04, 01:34 PM
I don't know of a video card out that doesn't have game issues.. I guess some more than others, and from what I can tell I own the worst of the worst... I have an 8500LE and we all know the history of the 8500, so I figure if I can play games without problems anyone can...

DMA
06-10-04, 01:37 PM
I'm waiting until August.

Bob

Noo! Bad month for gaming. Athens 2004 baby! :D

PoorGuy
06-10-04, 02:15 PM
We're happy to see more and more ATi users go to nVidia products, but that front page Abit article is a slap in the face! :lame:

luka
06-10-04, 04:17 PM

I didn't see a broken thing with ATI drivers since I brought Radeon 9700Pro.
Well, if some little texture in some lever is flickering, i wouldn't call it something as broken.

I think you will not be satisfy neither with 6800Ultra. You're one of those people, who are not satisfied with anything in life. No hard feelings...

Personally, NVIDIA and ATI's drivers worked for me great. I prefer NVIDIA's NView over ATI's hydravision.

6800Ultra will be available soon, and it's great card. I hope Nvidia will sort it out issues with Far Cry. Newegg had Evga 6800Ultra, today. But, all cards are sold. I'm getting X800XT from newegg, as soon as they get it :kill: and than roll on baby. I'm going to play Far Cry all over again :lol2:

Many of people are expecting to run Thief 3 and Deux 2 perfectly with new 6800Ultra, and X800XT, but you're wrong. Programmers of those games suck, so badly, that they turned out two great games to suck as well. I really would not spend a penny for those game, neither i would judge about video card based on those game. Wait for HL2, Doom 3 :kill:

Believe, 32 pipes card wouldn't help in those games, because those games suck

jAkUp
06-10-04, 04:29 PM
We're happy to see more and more ATi users go to nVidia products, but that front page Abit article is a slap in the face! :lame:

I talked to Abit at E3 and they told me the same thing... that they really don't like the performance, and it has problems. He said once these problems are resolved they will make a board based on it.

luka
06-10-04, 04:55 PM
I talked to Abit at E3 and they told me the same thing... that they really don't like the performance, and it has problems. He said once these problems are resolved they will make a board based on it.

What problems?

That's BS. X800XT eats Far Cry 1280*1024 AA4x AF8x. I really don't think that ATI or NVIDIA users are switching sides. Look at newegg reviews of customers who brought X800Pro. People are happy with it.

I'm one of those people who never thought that NVIDIA did anything bad with FX series and "some cheating". What they did is legit to me. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

In the last few years, a lot of crappy people over review sites started to talk BS about cheating, and don't even know to setup freaking machine they test. Sadly, many people brought that BS, about NVIDIA cheating, ATI's AF filtering issue, hell what's next :rolleyes:

And don't judge about card based on certain games. There are bad programmers, which are not going to be good ever, and they are good programmers like J.C. who knows what his job.

Bad programmers are making crap games, and i don't play those, because i would consider myself as idiot...

jAkUp
06-10-04, 04:58 PM
im talking about the nforce 250 :)

Riptide
06-10-04, 04:59 PM
I didn't see a broken thing with ATI drivers since I brought Radeon 9700Pro.Congradulations! To bad my experience wasn't like yours, and no it wasn't "something I'm doing" either. More than one person had problems with CoD and R300 cores. My 9700Pro locked solid within 10 minutes every time I played that game until rolling back to Cat 3.10. It's a known issue, you're just lucky to have not run into it.

DMA
06-10-04, 05:12 PM

Easy to blame the chipset.. :o
Their KV8 series has to be the worst of the A64 boards out there. :)

Blacklash
06-10-04, 05:17 PM
Lucky for me I will be getting a 6800 GT for rig #2 so a direct comparison between Ati and Nvidia will be available to me on a personal level. I suspect I will enjoy both cards. I know I have been very impressed with my X800Pro.

luka
06-10-04, 05:42 PM
Is 6800Ultra good overclocker?

The overclocked 6800U has more benefits of it than X800XT. I think 400Mhz is choking NV40!

Raptorman
06-10-04, 06:31 PM
Ack! Looks like GameVE is not going to ship any 6800 Ultra's til the 28th of June. This sucks! I want my 6800 Ultra! Oh well, time to sit and wait. :drooling: