PDA

View Full Version : PSU Trouble

Draxus
06-10-04, 04:22 AM
I've got a 550w sh*t brand psu...which i need to replace... however, i've noticed my voltages become quite unstable whenever the cpu is doing anything but idling... i can actually hear the tone of my cpu fan change slightly whenever i run a program, reload a webpage, etc lol. I don't know a whole lot about psu's unfortunatley, just brands... is this going to damage any components, or cause any serious performance problems? I'll be buying a new psu as soon as possible, but if it's going to put the rest of my pc at risk i'll be swapping it out much faster.

The attached pic shows the start and end of the instability. This occured while running the 1m Super PI calculation.

Gator
06-10-04, 05:54 AM
Your CPU fan should not go back and forth like that, but it may be a problem with the fan itself, the ball bearings could be going. A replacement fan might not be a bad idea, you should be able to keep the heatsink on most models. Try to get something with high CFM and low DBA. They're only a few dollars each. I recommend a Coolermaster TLF-R82 from Newegg

As for your PSU... that 3.3 rail is kinda sketchy. If you say it's a noname brand, then I wouldn't wait on this. Order yourself an Antec True 550w PSU along with the replacement CPU fan asap. Remember a PSU powers every component in your computer, you never wanna go cheap on it. You could fry your expensive motherboard, video card, memory, etc...

Draxus
06-10-04, 06:00 AM
My fan is a brand new thermaltake spark 7+... it's loud, hehe, but it works well... just bought it like 3 weeks ago. As for the PSU, yea... i'm gonna get to that as soon as i can... but is that kind of fluctuating normal?

saturnotaku
06-10-04, 08:22 AM
You can expect some fluctuations in normal use, but your 3.3v rating seems a bit on the high side. You don't want to have that output be greater than 5% over the true rating. At 3.12 you're right at 4% which is pushing it a bit. I would recommend you get that power supply replaced as soon as possible especially since you're overclocking. Clean, stable power is a must in these situations.