PDA

View Full Version : Will losing the fan kill a Ti4600?

kurt454
06-11-04, 08:00 AM
I have a Chaintech Ti4600 here in one of my machines. The fan sounds like it could go any time. Question is, if the fan goes while doing 2D, will it overheat and kill the gpu instantly? What if it goes during gaming?

MUYA
06-11-04, 08:03 AM
Most likely

SH64
06-11-04, 08:12 AM
Most likely

I'd say so too .
it will be like a CPU w/o a fan cooling it .

Edge
06-11-04, 08:25 AM
Actually, I had my TI4200 running without a working fan for several weeks and didn't even realise it, so no, it most certainly won't die instantly. The first thing you might notice is graphic artifacts/fuzz on the screen when playing games, and you might get a few lock-ups in more graphic intense situations, but strangely the cards just don't seem to die from a broken fan. But obviously, it's not a GOOD thing for it.

Morrow
06-11-04, 08:45 AM
I had an overclocked Ti4600 running for about 2-3 weeks without a fan before I noticed it. The card took no damage but games tended to crash after 20-30min during this period.

I replaced the fan and now I'm still using the card in other PC without any problems

lightman
06-11-04, 08:47 AM
Actually, I had my TI4200 running without a working fan for several weeks and didn't even realise it, so no, it most certainly won't die instantly.

Well, the TI4600 draws much more power (and thus has a much higher temp) than the TI4200. In fact, I've seen at least a couple of TI4200 with (quite small) passive heatsinks, but I've never seen a TI4600 with one (unless you consider Zalmans' and the likes).

So I'd say that it's highly probable for a TI4600 to die a (quite a) quick death from a broken fan... ;)

Fatman
06-11-04, 09:50 AM
My friend also has a Chaintech Ti4600, and one day we were playing Generals and all of a sudden textures became messed up. Next week, same think we were playing a lan game, and his textures would get messed up. Then all of a sudden I noticed that it smells like something was burning, distinct smell of burning plastic/PCB. He immediatly powered down the system, it turned out that for several weeks he was running with a dead fan. He replaced the fan, threw on some thermal gunk, and now running better than ever.

CaptNKILL
06-11-04, 02:37 PM
Just curious, but how do people know how long a fan has been dead when they open up their computer???? :confused:

Fatman
06-11-04, 03:12 PM
Well we figured the texture problems started when the fan died and the card was over-heating. As soon as he slapped on thermal grease and new fan, texture artifacts were gone. And his card was not overclocked.

Cota
06-11-04, 03:28 PM
I have a Chaintech Ti4600 here in one of my machines. The fan sounds like it could go any time. Question is, if the fan goes while doing 2D, will it overheat and kill the gpu instantly? What if it goes during gaming?

no it wont die instantly you will have lots of artifacts in 3d and lockups nothing fatal.

I had a visiontek ti4600 and the stock fan barely spinned, I used it for a month in 2d and had no problems. 3d games were out of the question unless I underclocked the core. I replaced the fan and a friend of mine still plays with it with no problems.

Cota
06-11-04, 03:29 PM
Just curious, but how do people know how long a fan has been dead when they open up their computer???? :confused:

usually the autopsy reveal the time of death :screwy: :screwy: :screwy:

jimmor
06-11-04, 04:12 PM

If only running in 2D, it is unlikely to die instantly ! More likely just get very hot, you may even smell something burning, like your card's PCB ?

Although the fan on a ti4600 is essential to good temperature control and stable performance, you have to remember there is also a chunk of metal involved called the heatsink ! And other than hard 3D work, the heatsink will likely be enough to stop the GPU overheating to a level high enough to kill it ?? However prolonged high GPU temps can eventually kill it, so the first signs of artifacting etc during 3D work should point you towards checking and/or replacing the fan ??

Morrow
06-12-04, 05:53 AM

very easy, I had spontaneous crashes to desktop in many games for about 3 weeks before I opened my case and noticed that the fan stop working. After replacing the fan, every game work again flawlessly... the rest was a matter of deductions :)

stncttr908
06-12-04, 10:59 AM
It seems like a risk most people wouldn't be willing to take. I'd get it replaced ASAP if you're having the slightest hint of whining or grinding noises coming from that area of your case.

CoSWill
06-12-04, 01:55 PM
very easy, I had spontaneous crashes to desktop in many games for about 3 weeks before I opened my case and noticed that the fan stop working. After replacing the fan, every game work again flawlessly... the rest was a matter of deductions :)

That is correct. I have a friend who let his Ti4600 build up with dust until the fan quit. All it did was make his games lock-up periodically. He cleaned the card and everything went back to normal. The heatsink even without a fan will cool the chip to some degree.

RAGEdemon
06-12-04, 02:10 PM
What is the proble with so many people with dying fans?

When a fan is used, its pretty much innevitable that it will get clogged with dust and its performance will be degraded. Common sense has the answer: Open the fan, clean it, and just lubricate the spindle its attatched to. It will as good as new after that.

Remember, the electronics are working perfectly. The friction of the spindle caused by dust is too much for the power of the tiny rotor to overcome.

--RAGEdemon

Edge
06-13-04, 12:10 AM

Well, in my case the fan had been having trouble before it actually died. It would make this wierd sqeeching sound every couple of hours, and one day I noticed it stopped making that sound. Then I noticed I had more artifacts when I was overclocking, but didn't put 2-and-2 togeather. A few weeks later, I open my computer, and lo-and-behold the fan was hanging there from it's power cord :p. So in my case, I think it's safe to say that the fan died when I stopped hearing that sound.

Oh, and I do clean my fan every once in a while (well, I spray it canned air, anyway), but I must say I've had a LOT of bad fans. My GF3 fan went out, my friend's GF3 fan went out (twice in fact, and it was the same model of card as mine, too), and my GF4 fan went out. Nice thing is though, when the fan on my TI4200 went out and I sent the card back for a replacement, they gave me a totally new card with an awsome new heatsync/fan, and it overclocked 10% better than my old one :).

Though I'm a bit confused...I've been using my CPU fan for like 3 years now and it's still working fine, but in the same amount of time I've had 2 GPU fans go out on me. If they're just getting clogged with dust, why is my CPU fan still running fine?

jimmor
06-13-04, 07:08 AM
Though I'm a bit confused...I've been using my CPU fan for like 3 years now and it's still working fine, but in the same amount of time I've had 2 GPU fans go out on me. If they're just getting clogged with dust, why is my CPU fan still running fine?

I think the first assumption could be that maybe the quality of the CPU fan is much better that that used on most of your graphics cards ?

However I think it also has a lot to do with the fact that GPU fans are usually small and therefore need to run very fast to achieve any reasonable airflow, whereas CPU fans are usually bigger and can therefore run at slower speeds for similar or better airflows. And the lower speeds will give them better lifespans ?

And also remember a fan on a card like a ti4xxx is fixed to a heatsink which is usually extremely hot ? I know, because I have a ti4200 and its always very hot ! These continuous high temps are also likely to have an effect on the expected lifespan of any fan !

Snooka
06-13-04, 08:52 AM
It's not like an old Athlon chip. You won't likely see puffs of smoke. :haha:

My little brother's GF4 Ti4600 had a broken fan for about a week. The games never crashed, but the performance was horrid, even on weak games. He's got an R350 now. :thumbsup: