PDA

View Full Version : Will your next CPU be AMD or Intel?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kain
10-18-02, 01:29 PM
Will your next CPU be AMD or Intel?

volt
10-18-02, 02:07 PM
Definetly AMD. Most likely a Hammer :D
*ntel ? Doooooooon't think so :) :cool:

fishlung
10-18-02, 02:23 PM
Definitely AMD. I almost always support independent and small business when possible, and they're about as close as it gets in this case. Hee.

StealthHawk
10-18-02, 02:47 PM
AMD unless Intel has something faster than Hammer.

BTW guys, when was WinXP-64 supposed to come out again?

Smokey
10-18-02, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
AMD unless Intel has something faster than Hammer.

BTW guys, when was WinXP-64 supposed to come out again?

I thought it already was :confused:

volt
10-18-02, 06:05 PM
It's already out...it only supports Itanium I hear, but why would they release final code that only supports Intel? :confused:
I'm guessing it either supports both, it's not final code, or there will be patches heh.

MORE INFORMATION

Before You Begin
Before you install Windows XP 64-Bit Edition, read this section to ensure that your equipment meets the minimum requirements and that you have the information you will need during Setup.

Hardware Requirements
Before you install Windows XP, make sure your computer meets the following minimum hardware requirements:

733 megahertz (MHz) Intel Itanium-based microprocessor

1 gigabyte (GB) of RAM (minimum)

6 gigabytes (GB) of free hard disk space (minimum) for Setup

VGA monitor or better

Keyboard

Mouse or compatible pointing device

CD-ROM drive

***is that a joke???***

StealthHawk
10-18-02, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Smokey
I thought it already was :confused:

let me rephrase. when will you be able to purchase XP-64 without buying an Itanium based system, or any system from any OEM.

assuming i go to route of Hammer, i want XP-64, and i'll probably build that system myself.

Smokey
10-19-02, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
let me rephrase. when will you be able to purchase XP-64 without buying an Itanium based system, or any system from any OEM.

assuming i go to route of Hammer, i want XP-64, and i'll probably build that system myself.

Sorry I wasnt trying to be smart, as I myslef didnt know either way, I was just remembering back to when I first installed xp and getting some drivers I think from Nvidia there where also drivers for WinXP-64, so thanks for the extra info to both you and Volt. Nice min specs btw Volt :p

volt
10-19-02, 11:21 AM
Yea, that looks crazy!
1 Gig of RAM (minimum) does not look like a standard to me :p

StealthHawk
10-19-02, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by volt
Yea, that looks crazy!
1 Gig of RAM (minimum) does not look like a standard to me :p

must be those Microsoft software "optimizations" :p

i don't think XP-64 supports Hammer yet, at least, i was given that impression. Hammer is still pretty far away though :(

The Baron
10-19-02, 08:10 PM
It's not crazy--considering Itanium is usually used in Big Farking Servers... it's pretty reasonable.

As for Hammer being supported by XP, I'm almost willing to bet money that MS will release a patch of some sort for native Hammer mode. It'll probably be big, like SP1, but will install over normal XP Pro or Home. I mean, Hammer's a desktop part, not a server part like Itanium, so I doubt that there will be a Hammer-only version of XP.

StealthHawk
10-19-02, 11:42 PM
As for Hammer being supported by XP, I'm almost willing to bet money that MS will release a patch of some sort for native Hammer mode. It'll probably be big, like SP1, but will install over normal XP Pro or Home. I mean, Hammer's a desktop part, not a server part like Itanium, so I doubt that there will be a Hammer-only version of XP.

it seems more reasonable to expect a patch of XP-64 to native Hammer 64-bit. i really don't think it's possible to effectively patch 32-bit software to become 64-bit software.

what about Opteron? Opteron is a server part just like Itanium. and as far as we know, the only difference between Clawhammer and Opteron is the amount of cache and possibly multi-CPU configs.

The Baron
10-20-02, 12:14 AM
I doubt that XP-64 will EVER be non-Itanium, and here's why.

1. You already have multiple versions of WinXP that aren't even 64-bit.

2. Hammer still maintains backwards compatibility with x86 code.

3. You'll be able to buy PCs from places like Circuit City with Hammers in them.

So, following this logic, you'd have to make yet another version of Windows available. XP-64 is currently server-only Itanium-only, so it's not a big deal, but if MS has to produce another version of XP, they'll lose money. But if they can release a patch to do all that for them... they'd do it.

Plus, AMD supports Palladium. That's got to buy them a crapload o' Brownie Points.

And another thing is that since Hammer retains x86 compatibility, you don't need 64-bit versions of EVERYTHING. You can optimize what you need to optimize, and Life Is Good.

It'd probably be something along the lines of adding SSE2 support, but more major....

StealthHawk
10-20-02, 04:13 AM
the question really is then, is it actually easier for MS to modify 32bit Windows to be a hodge podge 32/64 bit environment, or easier to modify 64bit Windows to be more consumer friendly. as i know virtually nothing about XP-64, i really can't qualify one path over the other.

it seems that you believe the former would be easier, but i'm not so sure about that. i'm actually not sure if i would even trust MS to make what would probably be a major patch. basically what i'm saying is that i don't believe XP-64 is very profitable at all. how many people actually use Itanium? wouldn't it be easier for them to patch it and sell it to all Hammer users? that way consumers would have to upgrade to yet another version of Windows, which is something MS is pretty famous for doing.

edit: all right, there are just some things i'm not clear about. ok, there are 3 ways Hammer can operate
1)pure 32-bit mode
2)pure 64-bit mode
3)"compatibility mode" where you use 64bit and 32bit

i was under the impression that 3) required a 64-bit OS. i don't really understand this though. do you need a 64bit OS to use 64bit software?

SavagePaladin
10-25-02, 12:14 AM
AMD. First I'll upgrade this bad boy, and then I'll make a Clawhammer machine.

john19055
10-25-02, 08:31 AM
I will upgrade to the AMD 2800 or when they go to a 333 bus since if I go intel I would have to shell out the extra money for a new motherboard.

LORD-eX-Bu
10-25-02, 12:36 PM
Definately INTEL!!! Looking forward to 3.06+ Ghz P4.:D

Gator
10-25-02, 12:41 PM
wow, look at those numbers though! Some big AMD fans here! :eek:

I like AMD because they're cheaper, yet just as good as Intel :cool:

kurt454
10-25-02, 05:36 PM
I just received my Dell Dimension 4550 system from UPS today. It has a P4 2.53 ghz cpu, so I guess I am an Intel man again. I have two AMD machines.

ReDeeMeR
10-25-02, 06:52 PM
AMD 2800 + nforce2 (or maybe if some better one comes out), it kicks P4 2,8ghz in the ass! and yet lot less expensive :cool:

Now back to reality, I gotta make some $$$ before that :(

StealthHawk
10-25-02, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by ReDeeMeR
AMD 2800 + nforce2 (or maybe if some better one comes out), it kicks P4 2,8ghz in the ass! and yet lot less expensive :cool:

but neither the 2800+ nor the nforce2 are purchasable. to Intel's credit, i bet we'll see the P4 3.06GHz before we see any 2800+'s

LORD-eX-Bu
10-25-02, 08:25 PM
3.06 Ghz P4 comes out late november. Intel stated that it will be able to be purchased the day of its launch.

sbp
10-25-02, 11:12 PM
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,645307,00.asp?kc=EWTH102099TX1K0100487

"Intel Corp. has begun shipping 3GHz Pentium 4 processors, the first to feature performance-enhancing hyperthreading technology, to major PC makers in preparation for its formal launch Nov. 14, sources said."

As for the question at hand, likely Intel.

ReDeeMeR
10-26-02, 11:10 AM
Bah, I'll survive with my 2200+ till 2800+ finaly comes out :D

And I'm sure we'll see pleny of them by christmas, but untill atleast UT2k3 engine games are gonna show up there's no need for faster processor.

Flash
10-30-02, 04:11 PM
If I was building a system right now it would probably be Intel. But I have no need to at the present as I have plenty of speed, both ram and cpu.