PDA

View Full Version : Joint Operations MP Demo

stncttr908
06-13-04, 12:51 PM
Anyone else playing this one? Seems like good fun to me. I'm runnig it on 1024x768 w/no AA and 8x AF with decent framerates, but it does chug at times unfortunately. To Novalogic's credit they've done a great job with the netcode as there is hardly any lagging in games of as many as 100 people at one time. The beta had games of over 200 at once. I'd highly recommend it if you haven't tried it out yet.

http://www.filemirrors.com/search.src?file=jo_demo_060804_xx.exe&size=263078152

And another note, I had to disable my firewall software (ZoneAlarm) in order to play.

Pafet
06-13-04, 02:17 PM
OMG 200 peeps at once! must be fun!

Greg
06-13-04, 07:51 PM
I played a few games yesterday. I had very low expectations, having played the previous demo. The devs must have been going flat out over the last three months because the game has improved dramatically. It looks good, plays okay and the main issue I had was that combat suffered from network play. That is, it is almost impossible to shoot moving targets with a rifle because the enemy player is warping around. In close combat, the only tactic that worked for me was to run in circles and shoot madly. I was playing with 512kb ADSL and a ping of 30-80 with 45 other players. If that side of things improves the game will be a worthy competitor to the likes of Battlefield. So overall, the game looked good, had okay vehicles and weapons, but didn't feels smooth like UT, Quake or even Americas Army which also has some dodgy combat at times.

I would like to ask other players if you can actually hide in the grass, or if, like Battlefield Vietnam, the grass blocks your vision while leaving you completely exposed at distance to the enemy?

stncttr908
06-15-04, 06:38 PM
I would like to ask other players if you can actually hide in the grass, or if, like Battlefield Vietnam, the grass blocks your vision while leaving you completely exposed at distance to the enemy?
From what I've seen it's a little bit of each.

Raptorman
06-15-04, 10:42 PM
Good demo, but now the game FUBARs with AF. and AA. But my copy of it should be here tomorrow, and now all I want is my GeForce 6800 Ultra.