PDA

View Full Version : Nurbs..

Pages : [1] 2

Makaveli_786
06-13-04, 03:48 PM
Im wondering why no console or PC card has ever used NURBS.

In fact the only platform to have ever used NURBS is the Playstation Portable.

NURBS do have a few problems but theyr great, you can basically shape a polygon the way you want and make some extremely advanced and interesting shapes.

Anybody have any idea why everybody is avoiding NURBS like the plague?

euan
06-13-04, 03:51 PM
maths requires thinking, and thinking is inversely proportional to the amount of games dev's play.

* replace "amount of games dev's play" with "amount of weed smoked".

Jarred
06-13-04, 03:56 PM
Im wondering why no console or PC card has ever used NURBS.

In fact the only platform to have ever used NURBS is the Playstation Portable.

NURBS do have a few problems but theyr great, you can basically shape a polygon the way you want and make some extremely advanced and interesting shapes.

Anybody have any idea why everybody is avoiding NURBS like the plague?

well, Nurbs USED to be widely used in the film industry, Sub D's have taken over for the most part, I read an article a while back on some techniques the guys at Weta were using on LOTR, they recently converted all of their Nurb surfaces over to Sub D's,

and my experience working with the two of them as an artist,I prefer SubD's.

Makaveli_786
06-13-04, 04:09 PM
Ive always liked Sub D's but they can become a bit of a bitch when you have a few layers and theyr too slow to calculate, for me anyway.

|JuiceZ|
06-13-04, 04:10 PM
maths requires thinking, and thinking is inversely proportional to the amount of games dev's play.

* replace "amount of games dev's play" with "amount of weed smoked".

:lol2:

Jarred
06-13-04, 04:11 PM
Ive always liked Sub D's but they can become a bit of a bitch when you have a few layers and theyr too slow to calculate, for me anyway.

all depends on what software your using. But SubD's have more advantages to me as an artist.

Makaveli_786
06-13-04, 04:22 PM
Yeah theyr both pretty good, personally I prefer NURBS though, how much are Sub D's implemented in PC games now?

Jarred
06-13-04, 04:24 PM
Yeah theyr both pretty good, personally I prefer NURBS though, how much are Sub D's implemented in PC games now?

their not, but honestly, I hate working with Nurbs in Maya, they tear, your toolset is limited, and their slow.

Makaveli_786
06-13-04, 04:37 PM
LOL, I have the exact same problem with Sub D's.

Jarred
06-13-04, 04:45 PM
LOL, I have the exact same problem with Sub D's.

what app are you using?

nVidi0t
06-13-04, 04:54 PM
I find using NURBS more suitable for organic work. I use Maya 5 and NURBS modelling is the easiest to work with.

Jarred
06-13-04, 04:55 PM
I find using NURBS more suitable for organic work. I use Maya 5 and NURBS modelling is the easiest to work with.

I find modeling anything in Maya is a pain.

Makaveli_786
06-13-04, 05:00 PM
I use Maya 5.

kahloq
06-13-04, 05:04 PM
For Nurbs, Ive got Rhinoceros 3D. Great program:)
I love Nurbs, but for gaming, well, try converting a nurb model into polygons and see how HIGH the poly count becomes.

Jarred
06-13-04, 05:08 PM
I use Maya 5.

tearing with subd's in Maya? Maya already has a limited modleing toolset, but an even more limited nurb toolset,

I prefere Lightwave's modeler above all that I have tried so far.

Jarred
06-13-04, 05:11 PM
For Nurbs, Ive got Rhinoceros 3D. Great program:)
I love Nurbs, but for gaming, well, try converting a nurb model into polygons and see how HIGH the poly count becomes.

havent tried that one yet, ...Maya has different level of nurb resolutions, so it can go from the basic cage to ...almost unlimited poly counts.

nVidi0t
06-13-04, 05:13 PM
I use Lightwave occasionally, I'm still getting the hang of it.

I learnt all I know with Maya, so I stick to it.

nVidi0t
06-13-04, 05:15 PM
Rhinoceros isnt bad. I hate the renderer though.

Jarred
06-13-04, 05:19 PM
I use Lightwave occasionally, I'm still getting the hang of it.

I learnt all I know with Maya, so I stick to it.

Yeah LW is completely different than a lot of packages out there, it takes a bit to get used to, but to me, I feel confident there isn't anything I can't do if I really wanted to.

LW's downfalls are it's character setup, and animation, ...it's graph editor isn't too bad, but, Maya's is better IMO.

LW's great for Modeling, texturing, lighting, and rendering.

Maya's downfalls to me are it's modeling, texturing, and rendering.

UV manipulation is fantastic, along with it's character setup and animation. It's particles are ok... Cloth dynamics are a tad on the tie side with LW, I hate having to model the cloth the way you do to get it to work in Maya.

to me, LW is more of an artists tool, because when it comes to things like modeling nearly everything is interactive, and I love that, it's backface culling works they way you'd want it to, not some hack that Maya has.

But I use them both at home... it's rather funny the pipeline I've got going ...

Jarred
06-13-04, 05:23 PM
Model in LW, export to Maya to set up UV's and Rig, export back to LW to texture, Animate in Maya, then bake the animation and port it into LW for lighting and rendering... works quite nicely, get the best of both worlds.

Texture color maps in BOdypaint, because I love to be able to paint directly on the model. Maya has a simple version of this, but Bodypaint is closer to photoshop, except your painting on a 3d object. :)

Makaveli_786
06-13-04, 05:24 PM
Na not tearing, it just becomes a pain in the ass in more than one way when you have too many layers.

nVidi0t
06-13-04, 05:28 PM
Maya is the best I've used for any kind of animation. I agree the renderer isn't the best. At least in Maya 5 the default renderer is Mental Ray. I also get some good results using GI Joe. The Cloth, Fur and Water shaders are all very useful.

The LW interface is kind of alienating to me, I guess I just need some free time with a book to get to know it. Most of the best work I've seen was modelled and rendered in LW so I guess that says something..

Jarred
06-13-04, 05:29 PM
Na not tearing, it just becomes a pain in the ass in more than one way when you have too many layers.

just getting symmetry to work in maya is a pain. :) it takes forever to apply the sub'd anyway...

Jarred
06-13-04, 05:32 PM
Maya is the best I've used for any kind of animation. I agree the renderer isn't the best. At least in Maya 5 the default renderer is Mental Ray. I also get some good results using GI Joe. The Cloth, Fur and Water shaders are all very useful.

The LW interface is kind of alienating to me, I guess I just need some free time with a book to get to know it. Most of the best work I've seen was modelled and rendered in LW so I guess that says something..

yeah mental ray was a step up from what they had, but, still very slow in my opinion. Mayas fur is very good for slapping quick fur or grass on something, but I was havign problems getting it to move properly. But I do have to give them props on their water shaders, very nice.

you should really check out the Fprime vids at

http://www.worley.com/fprime.html

fprime is a plugin for LW, it's seriously the fastest render I've ever worked with, once you use it, you'll never wanna go back to anything else. :)

nVidi0t
06-13-04, 05:35 PM
Jarred, I just checked out your portfolio, some nice work you have there.

and Maya 6? LOL