PDA

View Full Version : 6800Ultra not good for Battlefield Vietnam?

Pages : [1] 2

jcossin
06-13-04, 10:18 PM
My favorite game right now is Battlefield Vietnam. I was going to get a 6800 Ultra as soon as I can find one for around $499, but after looking here:

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjI4LDQ=

I'm nervous about the 6800 Ultra for Battlefield Vietnam. My monitor is an LCD at 1600x1200 native resolution, and HardOCP shows that BFV isn't playable with a consistent over 30fps frame rate at that resolution with 4xAA and 8xAF.

I know HardOCP is often accused of being an ATI fan site. What do you all think? Anyone else find another site benching BFV on the 6800 Ultra?

:confused:

Ruined
06-13-04, 10:46 PM
My favorite game right now is Battlefield Vietnam. I was going to get a 6800 Ultra as soon as I can find one for around $499, but after looking here:

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjI4LDQ=

I'm nervous about the 6800 Ultra for Battlefield Vietnam. My monitor is an LCD at 1600x1200 native resolution, and HardOCP shows that BFV isn't playable with a consistent over 30fps frame rate at that resolution with 4xAA and 8xAF.

I know HardOCP is often accused of being an ATI fan site. What do you all think? Anyone else find another site benching BFV on the 6800 Ultra?

:confused:

You could use the 6800U's trilinear optimizations like the X800 does, that could get you a decent speed boost. Or, worse comes to worse just play with 2xAA/8xAF or 4xAA/4xAF.

Since HardOCP didn't disclose if in that review if they used trilinear optimizations or not for the 6800U (we know they did for the X800), nor did they disclose the exact minimum framerate of the 6800U for their timedemo at 1600x1200, we don't really have any idea from that review what speed the 6800U runs it at - it might even be 29fps. HardOCP's reviews make it very difficult to see what the hell is going on. :wtf:

coldfusion71
06-13-04, 11:11 PM
i wouldnt base anything on the hardocp review, the way they conduct those tests is pure rubbish. they should leave it up the the viewer to decide what is playable, playable is a very subjective term. what you are doing is basically taking away the value of the review they are supposed to leave it up to the readers interpretation not hier own.

retsam
06-13-04, 11:19 PM
6800Ultra not good for Battlefield Vietnam?
ummm i dont think there is any card out there that would work well with that game.

Brent
06-14-04, 12:02 AM
You could use the 6800U's trilinear optimizations like the X800 does, that could get you a decent speed boost. Or, worse comes to worse just play with 2xAA/8xAF or 4xAA/4xAF.

Since HardOCP didn't disclose if in that review if they used trilinear optimizations or not for the 6800U (we know they did for the X800), nor did they disclose the exact minimum framerate of the 6800U for their timedemo at 1600x1200, we don't really have any idea from that review what speed the 6800U runs it at - it might even be 29fps. HardOCP's reviews make it very difficult to see what the hell is going on. :wtf:

Default control panel settings were used, this means Tri Ops were ON for the 6800U.

The point that provided the worse performance in BF:V was when zooming in through trees or large battles. The performance at the settings tested dropped into the upper 20's when doing that. Besides that scenerio performance in everything else was smooth at 1280x960 4xaa/8xaf.

There is one other concern, but I think it is a game problem, the game feels very laggy at times, like when moving real fast with your mouse and stuff, it like lags out even though the framerate is above 30. This lagginess effects gameplay negatively though and gets worse as you increase the resolution.

You can play at 1600x1200 in BF:V if you lower AA and AF settings, but we found the best compromise for performance and IQ to be at 1280x960 4xaa/8xaf on the system we used for testing. Obviously results on your systems may vary.

Brent
06-14-04, 12:03 AM
ummm i dont think there is any card out there that would work well with that game.

Indeed, the game itself has problems.

Sgt_Pitt
06-14-04, 01:07 AM
BFV at 1600x1200 no AA or AF but bfv looks funny with filters anyway all the writing is screwed.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~pittinc1/bfv.gif

coldfusion71
06-14-04, 01:13 AM
yea the game is screwed up and runs bad on almost every rig .i love the game but ea needs to get it together.

Arioch
06-14-04, 01:14 AM
There is a definite problem with this game as the framerate minimum and maximum jump around quite a bit. On my X800XT I can run the game at 1600x1200 with 4xAA/16xAF and the framerate never jumps below 30.

On some maps I will go from being at 100+ for stretches then drop way down into the 30s and 40s. I definitely think this game could have been worked on a bit more to iron out the performance kinks.

Jarred
06-14-04, 01:57 AM
worst ****ing thing happened to me, I went and downloaded the update because I couldn't connect to games ...because I had the old version,

now I get an error every time I try to connect to a server, read up on it and I guess it's a bug.

way to go guys! now I can't play your ****ing game anymore!

pathetic.

luka
06-14-04, 06:29 AM
Battlefield Vietnam is not good...

EA games/sport suck...

rewt
06-14-04, 06:35 AM
A lot of their games are really fun but I haven't seen or heard of one EA game yet that hasn't had a hand full of bugs and glitches.

Sgt_Pitt
06-14-04, 08:27 AM
EA has a lot of great games

DivotMaker
06-14-04, 08:29 AM
A lot of their games are really fun but I haven't seen or heard of one EA game yet that hasn't had a hand full of bugs and glitches.

Let's try not to tarbrush the entire EA Games/EA Sports lineup. I know of several EA Sports games that are far from "hand fulls of bugs and glitches"....

MUYA
06-14-04, 08:33 AM
Of which F1 Challenge 99-02 and Tiger Woods 2004 abso rocks.

SH64
06-14-04, 08:34 AM

Agreed .
& same goes for Thief3 & Dues EX:IW .

NightFire
06-14-04, 08:37 AM
Rewt,

Well, the Red Alert games, which technically were under EA, were very stable right out of the box, great preformance, no bugs, etc. Of course, are you talking about sports games?

DivotMaker
06-14-04, 08:44 AM
Of which F1 Challenge 99-02 and Tiger Woods 2004 abso rocks.

Thanks for that MUYA! I also wanted to add NHL2004 to the list...ran like a freaking charm on my machine...speaking of NHL...anyone see what EA is up to with their facial models for NHL 2005?

NHL 2005 Facial Rendering (http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/6078/NHL-2005-Player-Renders)

MUYA
06-14-04, 09:56 AM
Those shots are quite phenomenal. All through use of textures..and on X Box? nv2A?? hmm I wonder how the PC equivalent will look like. But, I am no NHL fan ;)

To note though, I whereas I am a fan on the Tiger Woods and F1 sereies. I was very disapointed with FIFa2004 on PC, plays great on PS2 but PC...bah chugged along on my setup. I hope FIFA 2005 brings Winning 11 (my fav soccer sim now) gameplay and better graphics and compatibilty.

Also off topic, I was disapoined that Sony hogged that F1 rights...but i am sure EA (and ISI) are working one something ;) There are good texture and 3d modelers who could *mod* a release to include the latest teams etc. Will EA ever relase a Rally game? That would be intersting with the F1 99-02 engine..heck the GTR Mod from SimBin too, maybe EA could do something like that.

As for BF:V, I didn't like 1942 so...I skipped this one ;)

mrgoodcheese
06-14-04, 10:21 AM
BF:VN runs perfectly fine on my 5900nu (OC to 5950), with any of the versions 1.0, 1.01, 1.02. And I also know of a person playing with a ti4200 and another playing with another 5900nu, neither of which have any problems. So no, not all cards have problems with the game.

Although the 6800u scored very high in the review you linked to, you shouldn't put a lot of weight on your decision based on the [H] review, as their testing scheme is lacking, to say the least.

dan2097
06-14-04, 10:46 AM
Although the 6800u scored very high in the review you linked to, you shouldn't put a lot of weight on your decision based on the [H] review, as their testing scheme is lacking, to say the least.

How does being one of the only sites to actually bother giving an evaluation of actual gameplay make their testing lacking?

On the contrary its easier to throw out all the other reviews on the grounds that they are just numbers from a small segment of the game, meaning they could quite easily not be representative of the game as a whole.

DivotMaker
06-14-04, 10:56 AM
How does being one of the only sites to actually bother giving an evaluation of actual gameplay make their testing lacking?

On the contrary its easier to throw out all the other reviews on the grounds that they are just numbers from a small segment of the game, meaning they could quite easily not be representative of the game as a whole.

Touche'!

mrgoodcheese
06-14-04, 11:31 AM

"on the grounds that they are just numbers from a small segment of the game, meaning they could quite easily not be representative of the game as a whole."

You seemed to partially answer your own question. In addition, they test the various cards at various resolutions and AA/AF levels. [H]'s testing sceme simply became an attempt at being different and stand out, which, it did but in a negative way. While their new test methods are slightly interesting, to base their whole reviews by that is not very smart, and leave the reviews lacking.

Brent
06-14-04, 11:36 AM
"on the grounds that they are just numbers from a small segment of the game, meaning they could quite easily not be representative of the game as a whole."

You seemed to partially answer your own question. In addition, they test the various cards at various resolutions and AA/AF levels. [H]'s testing sceme simply became an attempt at being different and stand out, which, it did but in a negative way. While their new test methods are slightly interesting, to base their whole reviews by that is not very smart, and leave the reviews lacking.

actually, it is an attempt at finding which card plays a game better ;)

we play through the entire game, every level, to find the best settings that provide smooth gameplay and high image quality that encompass the game as a whole

DivotMaker
06-14-04, 01:43 PM
[H]'s testing sceme simply became an attempt at being different and stand out, which, it did but in a negative way. While their new test methods are slightly interesting, to base their whole reviews by that is not very smart, and leave the reviews lacking.

Negative? Not sure how you perceive negativity from their reviews. I think their reviews are refreshing to see since they focus on real world gaming performance and less on synthetic benchmarks.....however, if you play benchmarks I can possibly see why you might object to their process....