PDA

View Full Version : Silver heatsink?

Fatman
06-14-04, 10:25 AM
We see plenty of aluminum and copper heat-sinks, supposedly because both metals have very good heat conductivity. Silver has a higher heat conductivity rating that copper, are there any heat-sinks made out of pure silver? I realize it wont be the cheapest heat-sink around, but it would be interesting to see how it compares to copper. How about heat-sinks made with compound materials with higher conductivity rating that copper, has anyone seen something like that around?

MUYA
06-14-04, 10:28 AM
Silvers one would probably cost too much. ;)

Fatman
06-14-04, 01:29 PM
I realize that it's not a cost effective mass produced cooling solution, but hasnt anyone even tried that approach? Everyone stopps at 90% copper, why? Carbon-Carbon, titanium compond metals, there are great solutions, just wondering why no one is trying new materials.

ragejg
06-14-04, 01:33 PM
I started a journey once trying to figure out how to get silver solder to melt and properly adhere to copper... it didn't work.... same for an aluminum heat sink.... bleh...

Hmmm, a copper heatsink with a silver core would be pretty nice, though... screw the plating... :p

nvnews-reader
06-14-04, 01:46 PM
Silver cost about $6/ oz. So if you had a 30 oz heat sink it would cost around $200 just for the metal. That's not counting the designing/molding into a heat sink.

You'd also have to worry about polishing it. :p

Of course it would probabbly hold its value more than a P4. :thumbsup:

ragejg
06-14-04, 01:48 PM
Of course it would probabbly hold its value more than a P4. :thumbsup:

VERY true.... hmmm, good point... :D

{Sniping}Waste
06-14-04, 03:05 PM
We see plenty of aluminum and copper heat-sinks, supposedly because both metals have very good heat conductivity. Silver has a higher heat conductivity rating that copper, are there any heat-sinks made out of pure silver? I realize it wont be the cheapest heat-sink around, but it would be interesting to see how it compares to copper. How about heat-sinks made with compound materials with higher conductivity rating that copper, has anyone seen something like that around?

You can try a silver plate about 1mm thick on the bottom of your heatsink.
Ppl that use TEC use a coper or silver plate between the cold side and the CPU core and the silver is the best. By puting a silver plate between the heatsink and CPU, you could lower the temps.

FastM
06-14-04, 03:25 PM
Imagine a Gold Heatsink! :eek:

It may cost over 500$ but people would still buy it!

Fatman
06-14-04, 03:57 PM
I googled a bit for thermal conductivity compounds, and it seems there are great things in the pipe, mainly in aerospace industry for now... but they will eventually come down to the pipe to us, the unwashed masses. Carbon-Carbon materials, and Silicon-Carbon compounds.

I was thinking of buying of the tiles off the Russian space shuttle and trying that for a cold plate :)

oh and as far as soldering silver to aluminum or copper, try a bit of nickel, it should help it stick better.

Banko
06-14-04, 05:20 PM
You can get silver TDX waterblocks at http://www.dangerden.com there was a gold ocz gladiator once as well.