PDA

View Full Version : what is the min. power needed for fx5900 ultra?

ultramagnetic04
06-14-04, 12:32 PM
Could someone please give me a definitive answer to this? Is 300W enough?

sonyman
06-14-04, 12:51 PM
A quality 300W should be fine, so long as you don't have a ton of drives in your system.

Scott

Gator
06-14-04, 12:52 PM
Could someone please give me a definitive answer to this? Is 300W enough?

No, 300w is not enough by any brand name in my opinion.

I had an Enermax 350w PSU, which is a quality brand name, and it could not handle my FX5900XT. For an FX5900U, I would recommend at least 400w by either Antec or Enermax, if not more.

Personally I like the Antec "True" series which claim to have reliable rails. The True 430w should be plenty for your needs, but more never hurts if you can afford it (I got the 550w to play safe).

One more thing, why are you buying an FX5900U now? The GF6 6800NU should be available any day now and starts at $299us, and it's considerably more powerful. If you insist on buying an FX card, I'd recommend an FX5900XT for around $175us and just overclock it.

ultramagnetic04
06-14-04, 01:52 PM
Thanx for the advice guys. Guess I better pick up a new PSU then.

I didn't buy the card new, I kind of 'aquired' it from a friend. he couldn't fit it inside his crappy new shuttle PC :). Otherwise I would have gone for one of the newer ones..

saturnotaku
06-14-04, 01:59 PM
As long as you have a PSU that puts out 20A on the +12v line, you should be fine with any current or future video card. Antec and Enermax are good. If you have lots of $$$ to spend, PC Power and Cooling or SilenX PSUs can't be beat. I personally have the Thermaltake Purepower 560. I bought it because the cables come pre-wrapped so the bird's nest that comes with most PSUs isn't nearly as bad. :)

ragejg
06-14-04, 02:05 PM
During my Creative Labs 5900XT review, I tested the card on several different power supplies, including a 250 watt PowerMan (teh cheap), a 400 watt Duro (even weaker than the PowerMan IMO), a 450W PowerMagic (strong railed PSU), and a 500W dual fan PowerMagic (again, a strong railed PSU)... all PSU's worked fine, even in my system with many fans and *not the best* cooling... and all overclocking results were the same...

EDITED BITS: also, the card has been recently tested with two other no-name 300W's, and also works fine/clocks the same...

Gator
06-14-04, 02:31 PM
During my Creative Labs 5900XT review, I tested the card on several different power supplies, including a 250 watt PowerMan (teh cheap), a 400 watt Duro (even weaker than the PowerMan IMO), a 450W PowerMagic (strong railed PSU), and a 500W dual fan PowerMagic (again, a strong railed PSU)... all PSU's worked fine, even in my system with many fans and *not the best* cooling... and all overclocking results were the same...

EDITED BITS: also, the card has been recently tested with two other no-name 300W's, and also works fine/clocks the same...

That's odd, I wonder why my Enermax 350w had trouble. Must have been some combination of things in my system eatting too much voltage not wattage. That Nvidia power warning would keep coming up.

ragejg
06-14-04, 02:34 PM
I never had that come up once with any of the PSU's...

Maybe that creative/msi is just a power-efficient card...

ultramagnetic04
06-14-04, 02:50 PM
Hmmmmmm, I really don't know what the problem is then if it's not the PSU...

Maybe i've got myself a dodgy card :( maybe i'll resort back to my geforce 3 *sobs*

Cheers for the help though.

ragejg
06-14-04, 02:52 PM
don't ever sob about goin back to a GF3... I got two letters for ya that should make you feel a bit better...

"MX"

:p