PDA

View Full Version : MSI K8N Platinum (NF3 250GB) help!

DiscipleDOC
06-15-04, 10:00 AM
I installed my new motherboard over the weekend and found out that my ATI AIW 9800Pro card is stuck in 0x mode instead of using 8x. I went into the bios and made sure that the setting is 4x/8x. I'm also using the latest Cat's (4.6)

Is there anyway that I can for the board to recognize this as a 8x video card?

Oh yea....on my other boards, I had no problems with this.

|JuiceZ|
06-15-04, 10:41 AM
That doesn't sound right, I'm currently using a 9800P in the mb w/ no probs. What are you using that reports AGP 0x? I don't even think thats possible. There's a lot of inaccurate readings, including temp on "newcastle" cpu's, associated w/ this board. Do yourself a favor and grab the 1.25 (http://www.denisbesic.dk/Bios125.zip) beta bios until an official one is released. Also using 3.8cats & nforce 4.24 drv's.

DiscipleDOC
06-15-04, 10:44 AM
I did a live update last night, and It's telling me in the display control panel that it's 0x. Should I use the beta Cat drivers, or should I go with previous Cat drivers? I'm kinda suspecting that it's a software issue.....

|JuiceZ|
06-15-04, 10:52 AM
I did a live update last night, and It's telling me in the display control panel that it's 0x. Should I use the beta Cat drivers, or should I go with previous Cat drivers? I'm kinda suspecting that it's a software issue.....

Its diffinitely a software issue, sounds like incorrect readings because if yer card actually ran at "0x", there would be no bandwidth for anything to be displayed. The 4.6 cats should be fine, I'd grab the new bios & make sure you've got the 4.24 nforce drv's installed. btw, do the cats show 8x agp speed in the display panel?

DiscipleDOC
06-15-04, 10:53 AM
No...in the display panel, the cat's are showing 0x.

{Sniping}Waste
06-15-04, 11:00 AM
Just reinstall you AGP drivers, DX9, and Cat drivers in that order and that should fix your problem.

If that don't work then it could be the MOBO chipset.
A large chunk of Nforce 250 owners are having problems with this chipset.
You can go to www.amdmb.com and find some more info in the fourms there about the chipset problems. The bigest problem with the chipset is the poor overclocking via HTT(FSB).

|JuiceZ|
06-15-04, 11:02 AM
No...in the display panel, the cat's are showing 0x.

Which nforce drv's you got installed? Don't use the crap off the cd, grab the ref 4.24's & reinstall dx9b w/ cats like snipe said. Should work fine.

DiscipleDOC
06-15-04, 11:03 AM
Just reinstall you AGP drivers, DX9, and Cat drivers in that order and that should fix your problem.

If that don't work then it could be the MOBO chipset.
A large chunk of Nforce 250 owners are having problems with this chipset.
You can go to www.amdmb.com and find some more info in the fourms there about the chipset problems. The bigest problem with the chipset is the poor overclocking via HTT(FSB).

Thanks, I'll try that tonight. As for the O/c...I've already got it to go to 245 fsb last night! ;)

{Sniping}Waste
06-15-04, 11:20 AM
Thats good to here. Most have problems hitting over 235-240.

DiscipleDOC
06-16-04, 02:08 PM
Update: I did a clean install last night (again) and I installed in the order that you guys suggested--and THE SUCKA'S FLYIN!!!!!!:D:D:D Thanks guys! You rock, JuiceZ and {Sniping}Waste!:nana: :headbang: :dance: :super:

|JuiceZ|
06-16-04, 02:30 PM
Update: I did a clean install last night (again) and I installed in the order that you guys suggested--and THE SUCKA'S FLYIN!!!!!!:D:D:D Thanks guys! You rock, JuiceZ and {Sniping}Waste!:nana: :headbang: :dance: :super:

Good to hear d00d, now get back to o'cing! I've currently got my 3200+ @ 2.5GHz w/ more room to go :firedevil

{Sniping}Waste
06-16-04, 03:28 PM
Read up on this thread for more help in OC this MOBO. This tread has a beta bios on it for download and adds more setting in CMOS.
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=328575

strk
06-18-04, 02:25 PM
Hey guys what kind of temps ya getting with MSI Platinum board.I'm getting 43C with stock heatsink and i did apply some A5 and my case is 45C it's a Praetorian Coolermaster any help would be appreciated.

Sazar
06-18-04, 02:28 PM
strk your case @ 45c does not help your cpu...

wow... whats dumping all that heat in there?

air is generally pulled from the case down over the cpu to cool it... naturally if there is a bigger difference in temps you will have a cooler running cpu...

strk
06-18-04, 02:35 PM
Can ya help me out cause i'm always at 45C with case and cpu usually stays at 43 sometimes will go to high 30's.This case comes with 4 fans so shouldn't be that hot right.Temps are from MBM.

Sazar
06-18-04, 02:54 PM
I have an antec server case and @ the moment only 1 case fan... using stock cooler...

2 hdd's, an AIW 9700pro with stock cooler and a psu with 1 92mm fan...

if your case is @ 45 consistently there is likely an air-flow problem... if I were to plug back my other 3 case fans my temps would plummet but its a lot quieter with 1 :cool:

|JuiceZ|
06-18-04, 02:54 PM
Read up on this thread for more help in OC this MOBO. This tread has a beta bios on it for download and adds more setting in CMOS.
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=328575

Yea I'm already using the 1.25beta bios.

strk
06-18-04, 10:19 PM
so you think i should buy better fans to cool it down.

Sazar
06-18-04, 10:54 PM
I don't know your case or your airflow so it would be hard to tell...

you may want to take a look around your case and improve cabling and eliminate dust... dust if not taken care of can greatly increase the heat within a case...