06-16-04, 12:12 PM
I have a Dell 4550. With these specs:

P4 2.4gz 533 fsb
768MB memory
80 HD
DVD and cdrw drives
250W PSU

I had a gift certificate towards a Dell system. :|

My problem is I wasn't expecting to get a BFG 6800GT. I don't really have the money for it but I got it anyway bc of the BB $300 deal.

Dell uses non-standard PSU's so it would cost me $100 to upgrade my psu and I absolutely can't afford to upgrade it as well.

Will my BFG still run in my system? I'm thinking I will take the modem and FD out to conserve power.

What's the danger if its not enough power? Should I under clock my card? If so by how much? :(

Clay
06-16-04, 12:23 PM
I have a Dell 4550. With these specs:

P4 2.4gz 533 fsb
768MB memory
80 HD
DVD and cdrw drives
250W PSU

I had a gift certificate towards a Dell system. :|

My problem is I wasn't expecting to get a BFG 6800GT. I don't really have the money for it but I got it anyway bc of the BB $300 deal.

Dell uses non-standard PSU's so it would cost me $100 to upgrade my psu and I absolutely can't afford to upgrade it as well.

Will my BFG still run in my system? I'm thinking I will take the modem and FD out to conserve power.

What's the danger if its not enough power? Should I under clock my card? If so by how much? :(
The answer is "it depends". :angel: It depends on the quality of that PSU you have. Early test proved that 6800Ultras ran just fine on "quality" 250W PSUs. I would suggest that you contact BFG's technical support department with your questions though. Good luck!

ragejg
06-16-04, 01:01 PM
Dell rates their PSU's way different that the add-in market does... Shuttle does the same thing... it does cause a bit of consumer confusion, as seen here :D

nvnews-reader
06-16-04, 04:09 PM
Dell rates their PSU's way different that the add-in market does... Shuttle does the same thing... it does cause a bit of consumer confusion, as seen here :D

You mean they underrate their PSUs. That's :screwy:

saturnotaku
06-16-04, 08:22 PM
You mean they underrate their PSUs. That's :screwy:

It's not that. It's more to do with regular output as opposed to maximum, which 99% of all PSUs display for their ratings.