PDA

View Full Version : Mobo Problems... I think? Help the noob!

joltcola
10-18-02, 11:15 PM
Hello,

Ok, I'll get right to the problem. I recently bought a new motherboard, cpu, ram and just recently, a power supply for my system. I'm going from a Matsonic VIA mobo /w 1.0 Ghz AMD t-bird to a MSI k3 mobo /w AMD AthlonXP 1700+ cpu. New ram to match mobo, and just tonight , I picked up a new power supply to replace the 300w one I had in my case.

Before the replaced power supply, I would plug every thing in, hit the power button. Nothing. Check the connections, everything matches the MSI mobo manual. Ok.. click the power button. Nothing. Unplug the power cord, then the fan on the cpu, power supply, and my side case fan turn over for a second or two. I check everything. Pull out all the cards, unplug almost everything. Check that everything is plugged in correctly. Nothing. Unplug, and the fans spins.

Ok... I check everything... I have no idea what would make it do that. Then I think it might be the power supply. So, I head over the local store, and pick up a 400w Antec power supply. Install it, plug everything in. Plug in power cord, click power. Nothing.

I have no idea whats going on. If anyone has any idea about this , or can send me in the right direction on what might cause thing, that would be great. Please help , cause i'm completly lost!!

-- Jolt Cola

volt
10-18-02, 11:36 PM
That's weird...Can you check your mobo with different components? Not just PS.
I can't think of anything else right now. You don't get any beeps either right? Make sure your PS is switched to 115V (as I'm sure you already did that :))

joltcola
10-19-02, 12:49 AM
Yah... no beeps. Nothing. Did check the voltage selction. What things would I test. Cause I've tried everything my friend ( who knows much more than I ) and myself can think of. I've basicly stripped it down to just the board.

Thanks for the help, please.. reply.. I'm going to cry if you dont =)

-- Jolt Cola

PenguinJim
10-19-02, 08:23 AM
The motherboard might have been DOA. And don't some mobos refuse to do jack until a CPU fan is properly connected? It could be the CPU fan is busted, but IMHO you should send back the motherboard.

LTech221
10-19-02, 08:42 AM
I had somewhat similar troubles, system would powerup i could hear fans but no drives and no screen. All it turned out to be was some extra standoffs installed, i guess they were shorting the board or something because once i removed them, i heard the beep, screen came up and all booted fine. This just happened tonite/early morning when i was transfering my system to a new case, an Antec Performance II SX1040b, great case btw.

Smokey
10-19-02, 10:23 AM
I would take a guess and say the memory. Im not saying the memory is bad, just this boad is known for memory probs, which I myself have had.

volt
10-19-02, 10:58 AM
I would plug every thing in, hit the power button. Nothing.

Before you ship the board back (that's what I would do right now) check all your other components on your friend's board if you can, just to make sure your stuff is in good condition. If everything works, ship the board back.;)

joltcola
10-19-02, 11:27 AM
Well, one of the things I didn't mention is, I've already sent a mobo back to newegg.com. I had the exact same problem earlier, couldn't figure it out. Tried differnt power supplies, etc. Nothing. Sent it back. Then a few days ago, I got a mobo back from FedEx.
Hooked everything up, power button, nothing. Went out, bought new power supply, 400w. Installed, hooked up, Nothing. Strip it down. Click, nothing. I'm going to test out a few things, any other input on possible problems or directions I could look into, would be great.

I did check jumpers and all that to see if there was anything weird. Everything is setup to the manuals specs. just nothing. Sorry if I'm repeating myself, its just frustrating, and causing alot of doubt in what I thought I knew in building a computer. The only thing that does make flip, is the fact that the system I built for my parents is running awesome!

thx fer yer help

-- Jolt Cola

PenguinJim
10-19-02, 02:14 PM
With respect to sending back the motherboard:

I don't know if this was accurate at the time, but around 3 years ago I heard that around 1 in 10 mobos sold would arrive DOA. That seemed like an awfully high figure to me, but even if it's 1 in 100 then the odds of receiving 2 dead motherboards aren't astronomical. Send it back again!

Then again, it could be your power button :D

Simply connecting up the power without turning anything on has made my fans do a 360 now and again - I think it's just the current saying 'hiya!' :)

Seriously though, it could be your power button :D

i2host
10-19-02, 02:33 PM
A couple years ago I was building a system for a friend and received a motherboard DOA. I sent it back and received another motherboard DOA. Luckily the third time was a charm.

I also second Smokey regarding the possibility of a problem with the memory.

DaveW
10-20-02, 09:27 PM
Your mobo is mounted correctly right? I mean, its back is not touching the case. When a mobo simply seems dead, its usually because there is a short in it somewhere and the PSU refuses to switch on because of it. It can also happen if you have a loose screw or piece of wire rolling around inside your case.

joltcola
10-21-02, 03:00 AM
Thanks for everyone suggestions. I've fitted all my items ( video card, ram, etc ) into another system. Started up fine. I'll check to see if its mounted correctly.

Thank you !

-- Jolt Cola

Smokey
10-21-02, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by DaveW
Your mobo is mounted correctly right? I mean, its back is not touching the case. When a mobo simply seems dead, its usually because there is a short in it somewhere and the PSU refuses to switch on because of it. It can also happen if you have a loose screw or piece of wire rolling around inside your case.

Have you seen how many problems todays memory causes? At the shop I work we have memory causing problems at least 3-4 times a week! The memory isnt bad, its just wierd, a stick flacky in one pc will work fine in another :confused: I just had lots of problems with my KT3, after 6 months I got an error upon start up, couldnt boot into windows, nor save mode. I had no idea what the problem was, so I went to format and reinstall. Problem was I couldnt, so I formatted via dos. Still couldnt install windows, then I thought I would try the memory, 1 stick worked one didnt, so I changed the dead one at the shop, and it still didnt work :confused: By this time I was getting anoyed, I took out the battery on the motherboard, and wouldnt you believe it everything works, computers are strange things :p

joltcola
10-21-02, 09:23 AM
Okay.. heres a stupid question. Does MSI mobos have any problem with starting up without ram installed?

-- Jolt Cola

Chicane-UK
10-21-02, 11:55 AM
One thing to try.. you might have done this already.

Try getting the mobo working outside of the case - there could possibly be a short of some kind which is preventing you from switching the box on.

It is a possibility - seen such things before :)

joltcola
10-21-02, 09:23 PM
When I tested the mounting, I just re-installed it into the same case the first time, made sure nothing wasn't out of place. Then I switched it to another case. nothing.

If I were to test it outside of a case. What would I lay it on? Just the anti-static bag the motherboards come in? Would that be fine?

Sorry about all the questions. After everything that has happend, anything I thought I knew about computers, and building, I've kinda thrown out of the window =(

But ... all apart of the learning process I guess

-- Jolt Cola

thcdru2k
10-21-02, 09:46 PM
you could just lay it on a table or piece of wood